Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Unvented short delay
Premier Sponsor:

ChaseTheHorizon

Dec 3, 2020, 3:03 PM
Post #1 of 4 (910 views)
Shortcut
Unvented short delay Can't Post

If my personal freefall comfort level is 210' on a vented canopy (Blackjack) and I currently only have access to an unvented canopy (Ace) what is a reasonable buffer to add to my freefall height?

Is 250' reasonable?

I jumped 300, but from that high at night hard to tell, don't have anything in between. I think 250 should be gold but it's borrowed gear and the owner is bitching about it getting stains on it.

Everything else unchanged (48 unvented off a freestander, wide open LZ)

Fledgling

Dec 5, 2020, 10:32 AM
Post #2 of 4 (830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChaseTheHorizon] Unvented short delay [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen good old Mojos freefalled from 180ft.
250 will be fine. Just remember it takes a little longer for the canopy to be fully flying and maneuverable without vents ie. If you start cranking inputs too early or release the brakes to full flight you may cause the canopy to behave less favorably.
I did a bunch of freefalls on an un-vented full ZP Fox 245 (I usually jump vented 280s) and I would always have to remind myself of the differences in pressurization times and how that will affect the immediate control inputs.

ChaseTheHorizon

Dec 6, 2020, 7:01 AM
Post #3 of 4 (787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fledgling] Unvented short delay [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply, it's an object I can fly straight to landing with anything but a full 180 offheading, I will be cautious with inputs.

dantheman

Dec 6, 2020, 11:24 AM
Post #4 of 4 (777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChaseTheHorizon] Unvented short delay [In reply to] Can't Post

I did 300+ jumps on an Ace, excellent canopy. Many freefalls around the 250 range, lowest was 215ft. No problems.
If i was 20 years younger i would say 'Send it!'Wink

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media