UHUCK.COM is up and running
Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

crossfirepilot

Nov 21, 2007, 3:48 PM
Post #76 of 89 (5874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base428] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

There are things that are being worked on that we cannot disclose at this point, however, they will be disclosed at the right time. There have been several people on the fence that have contacted me. After briefing them on several things that we are doing and how we are approaching this, they have now come over to our side and offered full support. Thank you everyone for your patience.

(This post was edited by crossfirepilot on Nov 21, 2007, 3:49 PM)

Ammon

Nov 21, 2007, 4:31 PM
Post #77 of 89 (5847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [worldsocold] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
ONE OF THE BIGGEST COMPLAINERS AT THE PARK ARE THE ROCKCLIMBERS. BECAUSE we REFUSE TO JUMP FROM DIFFERENT EXIT POINTS AND JUMP OVER THEM. CONSTANTLY SCARRING THE CRAP OUT THEM (THEY THINK ROCKS/BOULDERS ARE RAINING DOWN ON THEM,THAT'S WHAT WE SOUND LIKE TO THEM).

I’m not trying to talk for all climbers but have been climbing in Yosemite for many years and have never heard a serious complaint about jumpers scaring them. In fact, it’s usually considered a treat when they… um, we go by and happen to be on the wall.

I’ve been more startled by natural (not that BASE jumping isn’t natural) noises like peregrines dive-bombing, bats flying out of cracks, bees, birds, etc. You have to be focused and alert while climbing, jumpers are the least of the concern.

The one complaint I have heard is jumpers leaving gear or garbage behind. But, I’ve seen more climbers break the “leave no trace” rule as much or more than jumpers.

We’re all in this together.

(This post was edited by Ammon on Nov 22, 2007, 6:15 PM)

Hausse

Nov 21, 2007, 6:01 PM
Post #78 of 89 (5801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ammon] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

I just read this thread and as a so far non base jumper haven't had any issues with the NPS so correct me if I'm wrong but:
To all the people who said it would just get worse with the Rangers, how could it get worse? I mean just because they like you less they can't fine you harder, can't treat you worse and after all jumping is illegal at the moment and it doesn't really look like the NPS will changer their mind anytime soon. So how could it get worse?
I agree that it might close doors for sitting together and talk about the issue, but I am pretty sure that in the last 30 years there were enough smart people trying to take this route but it doesn't seem to work since it is still illegal. So I would say the question is if the possible but very unprobable chance of a successfull agreement with the NPS is worth not risking the (hopfully positiv) PR from the protest jump. And I would say the chances that the protest jump works is quite a bit bigger than the sitting together. And after all, even if it does not work out as hoped, I doubt it would have a big negative influence on BASE.

leroydb

Nov 21, 2007, 8:35 PM
Post #79 of 89 (5727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1108] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

1108 wrote:
Anyone donating, spectating or participating needs to write a letter to your local congressman and senator informing them of your intention to participate and bringing light to this issue.

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

This should help... Wink

leroydb

Nov 21, 2007, 9:21 PM
Post #80 of 89 (5712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hausse] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

Hausse wrote:
but I am pretty sure that in the last 30 years there were enough smart people trying to take this route

I assume you are guessing at this point... How can you be so sure?

“Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly, Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams go, Life is a barren field, Frozen with snow” Langston Hughes

Not you, but some here sound like they have given up without a fight, for a dream they haven't yet begun to believe.

here is a buzzword, you have to win their hearts and minds. Find one sympathizer, and another... a Possible Force Multiplier...

"In order to win an argument, you must transcend personal feelings and rise to the higher plain, where logic resides. If the opposing side happens to see the reason behind the logic, then true understanding is reached, for one must win minds before hearts can follow.--K bell "

RickHarrison

Nov 21, 2007, 9:59 PM
Post #81 of 89 (5694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wwarped] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand the motive, but in the end, I believe a protest jump will not get the results we want. I think that a Protest jump, while it may satisfy some very justified frustration, it won't work for the future BASE generations in todays world of Government. We saw how the last protest jump went and while I totally understand the fact that we in the land of the free, should not have to spend Thousands to go to Norway, Switz, Italy, Mex. etc. to get tall cliffs, a protest jump at Yosemite will likely be spun badly by the press. Look at the last Empire State Bldg. jump and all the bad, "unfair" publicity. Hell, in the 80's, the first Empire State Bldg jump, even though one was arrested, they were celebrated and MM and company were sort of treated like heroes and were even on Johnny Carson. Different world today. After the last failure, all a protest jump will do is harden positions. I totally understand the sentiment and please don't think I've gone soft over the years. I so understand the beliefs about taking what should be rightfully ours in our National Parks, but it just doesn't work that way. Believe me, we were rebels here in Texas when BASE first started catching on in 82, but like I said, it ain't the same world. Carl Boenish not only got Yosemite legal for awhile, he got Canyon de Chelly legal, the first legal building jump in Memphis and did it all through negotiations and finding out what "they"needed to be able to say yes whether its the NPS or some BANK. BASE is evolving in a good way due to some very skilled folks and great gear, Until the skilled leaders in BASE can work with business leaders and authorities to convince them that BASE is no longer a suicide sport, our Govt. and the lawyers in this country will always make it tough for us to get legal sites.

If the protest jump goes on, I do hope someone is in charge trying to weed out people that shouldn't be on the wall. One poster didn't even know anything about the cliff, so let's accept a little responsibility for the fact that we also have f--ked up some in the past.
Cliffleaper

Hausse

Nov 21, 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #82 of 89 (5686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leroydb] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

leroydb wrote:
Hausse wrote:
but I am pretty sure that in the last 30 years there were enough smart people trying to take this route

I assume you are guessing at this point... How can you be so sure?

Yes it definitly is an assumption just because I am too young to have followed how BASE Jumpers tried to get their rights in the past 30 years.
But my assumption based on two things: The knowledge that there are some really smart BASE Jumpers out there and that smart people usually talk about things like this first.

jojo0815

Nov 22, 2007, 1:55 AM
Post #83 of 89 (5651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NickDG] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

NickDG wrote:
I've got nothing left for playing nice. I've already lost my opportunity to enjoy jumping El Cap significantly because I'm staring at the end of my BASE career. The fight, at least for me, is now for the next generation.

No fellas, the time is now, the place is here, and it's time to turn up the heat . . .

NickD Smile
BASE 194

well spoken Nick as always. I am definitely in but unfortunately I can't jump out of the same reasons many here can't.
I will be there 100% to support you guys with anything you need.... I'll do gear checks at the exit point or GC... I don't care.
it's time for this to go down... 6/9 will be the day :)

dmcoco84

Apr 1, 2018, 2:20 AM
Post #84 of 89 (4139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RickHarrison] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

What is it with you and "harden[ing] positions"; back in 2007?

You've Gone Soft, Harrison!

Harden The Fuck Up!

In reply to:
"...will do is harden positions. I totally understand the sentiment and please don't think I've gone soft over the years."

Lots of good reading in this (these) thread(s).

And this is a very important statement...

In reply to:
finding out what "they" needed to be able to say yes

TomAiello

Apr 1, 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #85 of 89 (4092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dmcoco84] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

Dude, why resurrect all these 10+ year old threads?

The discussion has changed--maybe it's time to start new threads?

dmcoco84

Apr 1, 2018, 10:47 PM
Post #86 of 89 (3981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

TomAiello wrote:

Dude, maybe I'm making a point.

Dude, maybe, I See something you aren't.

Dude! Maybe, if you answered my last PM, you'd understand.

Has It, Dude... Has It Really?

Laugh

zmorlock

Apr 4, 2018, 8:25 PM
Post #87 of 89 (3724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dmcoco84] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

Coco you crazy.

dmcoco84

Apr 4, 2018, 10:47 PM
Post #88 of 89 (3704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zmorlock] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

zmorlock wrote:
Coco you crazy.

Laugh Laugh

And Then...

dmcoco84

Apr 14, 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #89 of 89 (3459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] UHUCK.COM is up and running [In reply to] Can't Post

dmcoco84 wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

Dude, maybe I'm making a point.

Dude, maybe, I See something you aren't.

Dude! Maybe, if you answered my last PM, you'd understand.

Has It, Dude... Has It Really?

Laugh

I See How It Is, Aiello... I've Got My Eye On You, Dude.

TomAiello wrote:
I'm resurrecting BASE428's posting from the last NPS thread:

In reply to:
See next months SKYDIVING magazine. There is an interesting article written by RH where he interviewed some of the main players within the NPS regarding BASE jumping. The NPS is saying they will not just give us the customary, textbook NO answer when BASE jumping requests are received....however, they will at least study anything sent to them before making a decision. Also mentioned by the NPS was the fact that most of the 1980's anti-BASE NPS personnel are now long gone.....

these times...they are a changing, I hope.

There have been many previous attempts to gain access to National Parks. Most notably, the 1999 protest jump from El Cap. In my recent discussions with RH, we estimate there are about 6 people in the US that are actively pursuing backcountry parachuting legality. RH, Vertigo, myself, and a few others routinely do something to further the sport. Of course, many others also have done or are currently working on gaining access as well. RH has probably done the most work as of late and he's got an amazing plan in place that starts with the smaller parks (the Lake, for example). Baby steps, I always say.....once we prove the success at the Lake after several months, then we can move onto bigger areas, eventually ending up a few years later in Yosemite.

The CJAA was on the right track a few years ago, but nobody had any motivation to make anything happen. Leadership was also suspect.

If RH would make it available, I would urge him to post his "Backcountry Parachuting Plan" for other jumpers to read and provide comments. Since the BASE jumpers of the US are spread out all over the country, it's hard to meet in person to tackle these issues. It might benefit us if the loyal readers of THE BASE ZONE were to work together on this in some way. Maybe there's a way to start a separate forum dedicated to this? I could easily create a member-only or public forum on my own discussion forum located at www.vertical-visions.com, but it currently only hosts the Bridge Day forum and does not get much traffic.

In the meantime, I'm currently talking to jumpers about either restarting the CJAA or starting a similar, new organization with very specific goals.

See Jason, all that typing didn't go to waste...

There is so much in Jason's post to speak to!

Where did you resurrect this from? I can't find this "last NPS thread" you spoke of...
http://www.basejumper.com/...post=1004649#1004649

And, Yes... my resurrection of your resurrection, is most definitely material within "making a point." Wink

And, No... I was not looking through your posts. However, I absolutely did after finding this; had quite the laugh, and an asthma attack, after seeing how many times you've said "dude" and "resurrect" in the same post.

Good Stuff!

But yeah, I'll eventually stick to exorcising; in Yosemite. LaughCool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media