Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Harness Mod Question
Premier Sponsor:

John_Scher

Dec 8, 2019, 10:51 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Harness Mod Question Can't Post

I want to modify my Perigee II from 3ring to integrated but i'm wondering how difficult it is? Is it doable or too much work?

I am asking the same of Marty but of course his main focus is elsewhere

bluhdow

Dec 8, 2019, 3:58 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] Harness Mod Question [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's about a 4-5 hour job to strip out an old harness, rebuild and install a new one. At Apex it runs about $350-$400.

We do a lot of reharnesses for Apex rigs. I'm not sure if Todd would be willing to mess with any load bearing components of a non-Apex rig though.

Blacksheep might be up for it.

Heat

Dec 9, 2019, 3:43 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1169 views)
Shortcut

Nick Burden at Blacksheep rigging converted a 3-ring to integrated. On Blacksheep Riggings instagram he said he chopped the 3-ring hardware with a bolt cutter and installed L-bars through the loop of the harness. Might be worth considering, but obviously talk to a competent rigger about it.

idemallie
Dec 10, 2019, 5:09 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1046 views)
Shortcut

John_Scher wrote:
I want to modify my Perigee II from 3ring to integrated but i'm wondering how difficult it is? Is it doable or too much work?

I am asking the same of Marty but of course his main focus is elsewhere

As mentioned above, it would be significantly easier to cut the 3-rings with bolt cutters and replace it with an L-bar than trying to modify the sewing on your harness. I tried to gather the supplies for this about three years ago, but could not get Marty to build me risers made for an L-bar (he's always busy, haha) so I eventually gave up. I would recommend having the L-bar risers in hand before chopping off your 3-rings.

The other advantage of doing this is if you are going to do a jump over fast moving water or a heavily forested area you can switch to RW-6 rings and have your release system available.

L- bars:
http://www.paragear.com/...iving/10000174/H359/

RW-6 rings (Part 1083):
http://cirrushardware.co.uk/...gs_orings_drings.htm

You can get L-bars from Cirrus Hardware as well.

(This post was edited by idemallie on Dec 10, 2019, 5:43 PM)

hjumper33
Dec 11, 2019, 10:37 PM
Post #5 of 11 (946 views)
Shortcut

Just a silly question. Why are you wanting to do this? Just seems like an odd rig to change to integrated risers. For way cheaper, you can just do one of many modifications that will essentially lock your risers on. Is it fear of the risers failing, or trying to have a rig with no metal on it?

John_Scher

Dec 12, 2019, 12:18 AM
Post #6 of 11 (928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hjumper33] Harness Mod Question [In reply to] Can't Post

hjumper33 wrote:
Just a silly question. Why are you wanting to do this? Just seems like an odd rig to change to integrated risers. For way cheaper, you can just do one of many modifications that will essentially lock your risers on. Is it fear of the risers failing, or trying to have a rig with no metal on it?

My PII is my primary Slider-Off rig. The reason I want Integrated is:

1 - Less bulk and weight for travelling and hiking.

2 - I've never had to disconnect my canopy and am prepared to suffer the consequences of a tree landing or looping my canopy over a sign post etc

3 - I rarely jump near water, least of all fast, cold water and If I do go near it I will reconsider my equipment, wear a Kingii, suffer the consequences.

Notes
1 - I'm also wanting to modify/install B12 snaps onto my PII
2 - I have a new Velcro rig in production with integrated & B12's
3 - I now own a Slider up Pin Rig after I was refused the Heli boogie with Velcro however, I've severally taken Velcro to terminal (off Brento) and its fine.
4 - I'm in the process of deciding/ordering a Pure Water Rig but with a square

Why Velcro
1 - No pin orientation worries
2 - No pin Locks
3 - Dont have to leave the pin flap open
4 - Love the sound of peeling Velcro

(This post was edited by John_Scher on Dec 12, 2019, 2:50 AM)

John_Scher

Dec 13, 2019, 5:09 AM
Post #7 of 11 (852 views)
Shortcut

hjumper33 wrote:

Herewith quote from the Apex Website which is also noteworthy...

INTEGRATED RISERS

While 3 ring cutaway systems serve a valuable purpose for many BASE jumpers, modern trends have shown a tremendous growth in the popularity of integrated riser systems. Their light weight, low bulk, added strength and simplicity have led to them being the most popular riser selection. In light of this trend, and because we feel that integrated risers are a superior option for most jumpers, we have made them standard on all of our containers.

hjumper33
Dec 14, 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #8 of 11 (778 views)
Shortcut

Yah I love integrated risers too, but not enough to spend the time and cost to convert an old rig. If you’re going to add bars, that’s probably not saving any weight, and it’s already a full weight setup. If you get a whole new harness, youre probably spending as much as the container is worth, plus international shipping. I’m just saying there are other cheap/easy/effective ways to make risers essentially non-releasable. To each their own though.

John_Scher

Dec 14, 2019, 1:37 PM
Post #9 of 11 (773 views)
Shortcut

Yah I love integrated risers too, but not enough to spend the time and cost to convert an old rig.

What you've said is the bottom line reality: the numbers don't add up especially as I'm far away from a rigging shop. I'll concentrate my funds and efforts on the new Velcro V rig from Todd.

I’m also having serious second thoughts about B-12s. I struggle a bit with a new hip and surgery on both knees. I really like the lightweight split leg hardware that Squirrel offer on their Dyneema rig and wanted to get that ease of donning benefit on my new “V” alas its proprietary hardware so I thought why not B-12s. They provide the same benefit but they are just not in vogue anymore. (nor is Velcro). However, I’m now hearing they are heavy and bulky and not worth it.

Question: Is there not a decent, lightweight split option for non-Dyneema harnesses?

TomAiello

Dec 14, 2019, 7:47 PM
Post #10 of 11 (749 views)
Shortcut

I had a funny conversation with a manufacturer about sewn in risers. They asked me if I actually knew any jumpers who regularly made jumps over water. I responded "you mean like the bridge here?"

If you only have one rig, I think it should have three rings. If you have two, by all means go with sewn in risers for the second (and subsequent) rigs.

But if you don't have the ability to separate from your canopy on a jump with a high likelihood of tree or water landing, or above average bust potential, you're going to be taking extra risks. And you're going to do the jump anyway, taking those risks., If you have one rig with 3 rings, though you'll just grab that rig for those jumps, and be good to go for either situation.

John_Scher

Dec 16, 2019, 10:00 AM
Post #11 of 11 (676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Harness Mod Question [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a funny conversation with a manufacturer about sewn in risers. They asked me if I actually knew any jumpers who regularly made jumps over water. I responded "you mean like the bridge here?"

That actually is quite funny and is a rare comment from me considering I'm British and as such have a refined sense of humor as opposed to slapstick (ie slipping over on a Banana) as seemingly preferred by most A Mericans.

Aluminum, huh!...

(This post was edited by John_Scher on Dec 17, 2019, 2:28 AM)

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media