Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
KL Tower & Tracking Suits
Premier Sponsor:

John_Scher

Aug 5, 2021, 5:49 AM
Post #1 of 4 (449 views)
Shortcut
KL Tower & Tracking Suits Can't Post

I'm inquiring why I seldom see Tracking Suits used at KL or in an urban enviroment?

-------------------------------------------------

I was invited to and did jump in Malaysia (Putrajaya) in 2020 and am hopefully attending the KL event (whenever it returns) where I would like to use my tracking suit.

Many moons ago I was tracking Brento and getting 18s.
Yellow Ocean seems to typically yield around 7s to 10s in a tracking suit.
I timed Douggs recent tree video jump in a 2 piece suit and it was 7s.
KL is 984ft and I timed the typical free-fall (without a tracking suit) to be around 6s to 8s which is similar to Yellow Ocean and Douggs time.

But here's the question...

KL has all of the good things going for it but after watching many KL videos, it seems hardly anyone ever uses a Tracking Suit. Why not?

I really like tracking in a 2-pice suit (I'm rubbish at it) but it sort of seems like tracking suits are only used on back country objects even if an urban object has sufficient height. Why is that?

Why don't I see more tracking suit jumps at KL events?

(This post was edited by John_Scher on Aug 5, 2021, 10:43 AM)

diver1

Aug 5, 2021, 2:25 PM
Post #2 of 4 (414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] KL Tower & Tracking Suits [In reply to] Can't Post

Its the heat and humidity for me. It is barely tolerable in shorts and t shirt.

Colm

Aug 5, 2021, 8:49 PM
Post #3 of 4 (393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] KL Tower & Tracking Suits [In reply to] Can't Post

I went in 2017. These are my faint recollections. Basically, you don't really have as much time as you think and it's kind of pointless to wear a suit. When Gary was organizing, he gave great landing briefing as part of the safety orientation. He pretty much said, and my takeaway was, that wearing a suit is certainly possible, but wouldn't provide you much of any benefit whatsoever. It's more of a novelty thing at that point.

Also what the previous poster said about it being very hot and humid. Also depending on how much luggage you already have, it's a tradeoff for every extra thing you choose to pack. Wasn't worth it, to me.

I hear Gary is no longer organizing it, and the more recent carnage reports regrettably seem to validate all of his safety concerns. Assume that your safety briefing is not as high quality as in years past, and analyze everything for yourself for caution. And you do NOT want to jump if the wind is blowing toward the tower, no matter what the exit coordinator says.

Hanzo

Aug 8, 2021, 12:35 PM
Post #4 of 4 (321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] KL Tower & Tracking Suits [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty sure someone hit the tower jumping in bad winds which I thought was almost impossible given how overhung it is.

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media