Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
PC Pitch and consistent off-headings
Premier Sponsor:

FatGoat

May 27, 2021, 11:26 AM
Post #1 of 5 (963 views)
Shortcut
PC Pitch and consistent off-headings Can't Post

I get a lot of left off headings. I've been trying to sort out the reasons as to why for a long while now. I really do not believe it is packing related (but I'm not swearing it off). I have flat packed my rig on both sides and and intentionally worked through both sides of my packjob in different orders and get the same results. I have solid outside video of exits and deployments and believe my shoulders are pretty level, way more level and stable than deployments I've seen from jumpers doing sketchy gainers, and they still wind up with good headings.

I also don't get off-headings from static-line jumps or handheld jumps. The offheadings stem from stowed deployments.

After years of jumping the only thing I can pin these left off-headings on is an aggressive PC pitch. It's hard wired into me to pitch that sucker hard and from what I understand the general wisdom is to always throw the PC hard. From videos I have of deployments, this aggressive PC pitch throws the PC far to the right, then as it inflates it swings back left from the momentum and is usually a bit off to the left of my body for extraction. My sample size isn't large for this statement...

I would love to hear some opinions on whether or not a hard PC pitch would lead to consistent off-headings. Is throwing the PC 'not too hard' something that goes through your mind for a jump? And those of you who have logged jumps and heading directions, is one heading direction more common than the other?

I don't log my jumps in a detailed fashion, I'm starting to wish I had. But I can say with some confidence that over 25% of my stowed deployments lead to ~90 degree left off-headings.

I have jumped a BJ with a ring-vented Bad Seed PC in the past, I currently jump an OSP with an Asylum Toxic PC. I have had similar results with both combinations.

Colm

May 27, 2021, 8:53 PM
Post #2 of 5 (939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FatGoat] PC Pitch and consistent off-headings [In reply to] Can't Post

I think an overly-hard throw could definitely explain this. If it's happening on two totally different rigs, in varying wind conditions, with otherwise stable body position, then the throw technique makes sense. Also I've seen skydivers who subconsciously turn their head to watch the extraction in their peripheral vision, and that goes off-heading every single time. So check if you're doing that.

A hard pitch, not only sends the PC off on an excessive vector resulting in asymmetric deployment forces, is also highly likely to affect your body symmetry even if you can't sense it. You might also be inducing a turning moment in your body.

You want the PC to clear your body & burble, with a decent wrist flick, and that's about it. If unsure, probably safer to pitch a little on the hard side than a little on the soft side, because the worst-case scenarios are so drastically different. But try dialing it back a bit and see what you get.

And teach us the results!

flite

May 29, 2021, 7:48 AM
Post #3 of 5 (864 views)
Shortcut

I am a firm believer that a hard pitch can result in a off heading opening. Just as you say, the momentum of the pc bridle pendulum will carry the pc past center. For me, as soon as I grab the pc I try to remember not to throw it super hard. I try to use mostly the elbow motion rather than the shoulder and wrist when pitching.

Also, some other ideas - Delay , if you’re taking less than 2 secs go handheld if possible, heading performance always seems better under those lower air speeds. PC’s, Toxics are my favorite, but all pc’s can go out of trim. Check the symmetry. I’ve had two 42’s go out and they both caused off headings, 45-90’s. Slider , I always remove it for slider down. I think it helps with a more uniform bottom skin expansion. Deep brake settings, should be somewhat dialed, as too fast of an opening speed can accentuate an off heading.

(This post was edited by flite on May 29, 2021, 7:53 AM)

TomAiello

Jun 2, 2021, 7:02 AM
Post #4 of 5 (730 views)
Shortcut

Can you change the direction of your pitch to test?

Try pitching toward your feet, for example, or toward your head (when flat and stable) and see if it changes things.

It might also be that your pitch is so vigorous it's throwing off your body position and causing assymetric riser loading.

Do you happen to have video of some deployments?

msk

Jul 4, 2021, 1:37 AM
Post #5 of 5 (446 views)
Shortcut

What size is your rig? I have a 308 and that thing takes a while to open. Some times it shrivels a bit which may initiate a turn. Falling a bit longer or static lining should do the trick.

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media