Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
New UK BASE jumper
Premier Sponsor:

ma68604

Mar 13, 2021, 1:46 PM
Post #1 of 11 (659 views)
Shortcut
New UK BASE jumper Can't Post

Hi all, I can already sense the responses I'm going to recieve but thought I'd post anyway.

I'm from the UK and have 280 skydives and 29 BASE jumps from freestanding A's, the lower margin for guy wired A's turns me away at this stage, and turbines. I have no formal BASE tuition (I know I get it "what a fucking idiot") because I didn't have the money to justify a course when I genuinely felt I could learn technical information from much cheaper resources, namely the Great Book of BASE, blinc mag and here on this forum.

Even without formal tuition I am pretty convinced that I have alot more technical knowledge than alot of newer jumpers that are fresh off an FJC they just splashed ridiculous money on. The only downside so far that I have encountered is the fact I am not in the UK BASE community and I'm still not sure how I'm going to work my way in there with the path I took to get into the sport.

When we are finally free from the chokehold the government has on the UK I plan to head to the bridges in France to work on more practical skills.

My first 3 jumps were static lines from a 260ft antenna before going handheld, I am still yet to go stowed, for now I mix it between static lines and handheld dependant on the object I'm jumping.

After writing all this I've realised I'm not sure where I was going with it, I think I needed to ask what I should do about getting into the community, without being seriously looked down on for the route I took. I feel like linking up with more experienced jumpers is probably the best move to make currently but not sure how to go about it without being told to fuck off.

If you read all this I appreciate it and I really hope you leave your opinion below whether it's good or bad. (I feel like I know what most will be)

Thanks in advance

ChristianPloug

Mar 14, 2021, 6:07 AM
Post #2 of 11 (626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ma68604] New UK BASE jumper [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there no jumpers at your local DZ?

ma68604

Mar 14, 2021, 8:07 AM
Post #3 of 11 (617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChristianPloug] New UK BASE jumper [In reply to] Can't Post

There are 2 active jumpers that I know of, but I don't know how they'd feel about some self taught kid that they would probably assume was just sending it with no knowledge or research, asking to tag along and jump with them.

ChristianPloug

Mar 15, 2021, 12:39 AM
Post #4 of 11 (574 views)
Shortcut

I honestly dont think anybody would give a fuck how you started, as long as you come to them with an open/humble mindset and know your ethics.
Dont be a tiktok kid or whatever is popular on the internet right now.

TomAiello

Mar 17, 2021, 8:11 AM
Post #5 of 11 (487 views)
Shortcut

ma68604 wrote:
Even without formal tuition I am pretty convinced that I have a lot more technical knowledge than alot of newer jumpers that are fresh off an FJC they just splashed ridiculous money on.

You're invited to come audit our Fundamentals course (for free) and see what you think of it's value, and whether you gain any technical knowledge. Smile

https://www.snakeriverbase.com/audit-courses

TomAiello

Mar 17, 2021, 8:12 AM
Post #6 of 11 (486 views)
Shortcut

ma68604 wrote:
After writing all this I've realised I'm not sure where I was going with it, I think I needed to ask what I should do about getting into the community, without being seriously looked down on for the route I took.

Have you joined the UK BASE (uncensored) group on Facebook?

jools

Mar 18, 2021, 4:39 AM
Post #7 of 11 (448 views)
Shortcut

You aren’t the first to be self taught buddy.
I’ve fired you a PM. Let me know where you live and maybe we can go jump something.

Also, looks like we might have another crane event this summer. We usually get 50-60 U.K. jumpers rock up. It’s a good place to meet people.

John_Scher

Mar 18, 2021, 12:12 PM
Post #8 of 11 (421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jools] New UK BASE jumper [In reply to] Can't Post

You aren’t the first to be self-taught buddy.

Back then an Aussie asked if I had a reserve and if I wanted to do a base jump. Yep, I got a Raven so we went and jumped. A week later he left here and a month after that my mate arrived. As I was now an experienced base jumper (1 jump) with a bona-fide base rig (Raven) I led the way and we jumped. Over time we graduated onto a 7 cell Cloud did a bunch more jumps and was having a blast. Then Tom A suggested we get a proper base canopy so we did. Eventually we got the hang of packing it but after a dozen or more jumps I mentioned to Tom that the base canopy came with a red thing which I have diligently kept in my cupboard and did he have any ideas what it was for? Tom replied. “it’s called a tailgate and …”

(This post was edited by John_Scher on Mar 18, 2021, 12:16 PM)

weathergirl
UK Pro BASE
Mar 26, 2021, 8:21 AM
Post #9 of 11 (232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jools] New UK BASE jumper [In reply to] Can't Post

Jools, if he’s ok send him my way but if he’s not, then don’t.
????

ma68604

Mar 26, 2021, 10:22 AM
Post #10 of 11 (218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] New UK BASE jumper [In reply to] Can't Post

TomAiello wrote:
You're invited to come audit our Fundamentals course (for free) and see what you think of it's value, and whether you gain any technical knowledge. Smile

Great offer, however for the price of flights to the US I'm sure I could get on an FJC here in Europe Wink

jools

Mar 26, 2021, 11:46 AM
Post #11 of 11 (210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weathergirl] New UK BASE jumper [In reply to] Can't Post

Evidently he’s down south so maybe fire him a PM?

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media