Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Drowning in Twin Falls?
Premier Sponsor:

Heat

Jun 22, 2020, 7:24 AM
Post #1 of 3 (621 views)
Shortcut
Drowning in Twin Falls? Can't Post

Saw this on the web... Not a jump I guess, but still sad.

https://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Family-and-friends-ask-for-publics-help-in-searching-for-missing-man-571412411.html

https://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Search-for-missing-BASE-jumper-called-off-571410181.html

DFR

Jun 22, 2020, 6:53 PM
Post #2 of 3 (572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Heat] Drowning in Twin Falls? [In reply to] Can't Post

Heat wrote:
Saw this on the web... Not a jump I guess, but still sad.

One of my friends dropped him off for the jump. Jumper is Austin Carey (family notified, name is public) and he apparently was planning on doing a double jump near pillar falls with a friend. Both jumps were under 130' from what I've heard. His friend mentioned the water level looked high where they had to swim across but Austin said he was going to jump regardless so they both went for it. Reportedly Austin threw his water off the cliff rather than jumping it down and was unable to find it after his first jump (may have contributed to trying to swim rather than waiting for a boat). They completed both jumps safely and when they got to the water Austin didn't want to swim with his gear. His friend made it across fine and I heard he was heading back to town to get a pack raft to retrieve Austin. At some point Austin flagged down some kayakers and gave them his stash-bag including his phone and had them bring it across which they ended up giving to my friend who was waiting to pick him up. He told the kayakers he was planning to swim across. That was the last he was seen. A search by police boat and powered paraglider happened that evening to no avail followed by another search by boat and drone the following day before efforts were called off. There was reportably no way out from the side of the canyon they were on. No body found yet but they are working on slowing the river to help with locating and retrieval efforts. An unfortunate but avoidable accident.

TomAiello

Jun 24, 2020, 9:20 AM
Post #3 of 3 (487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Heat] Drowning in Twin Falls? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to move this to General, and leave a pointer in Incidents, because this is not a BASE incident.

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media