Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Black rubber bands
Premier Sponsor:

skow

Apr 13, 2020, 2:59 AM
Post #1 of 4 (667 views)
Shortcut
Black rubber bands Can't Post

10 years ago I ordered a field kit from Apex, with tail gates, break cord etc. Also in the set were few black rubber bands - like the ones you cut in half and use for tailgate.

Since then I have been wondering what are they used for and never really figured it out.

Any ideas?

idemallie
Apr 13, 2020, 9:06 AM
Post #2 of 4 (630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skow] Black rubber bands [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimer: I was 12 years old when all this happened, so I defer to anyone who was able to legally drive a car when this was going on.

From my understanding (based 100% on reading old forum posts), Apex BASE (then Basic Research) was sending out black rubber bands in the early 2000s. They seem to have been more durable and "grippier than the standard natural colored rubber". I believe the specific application was intended for the Multi-bridle, but jumpers ended up using them as a tailgate rubber bands (although the coming press release said that was not endorsed by Apex). After multiple incidents of them not releasing when desired, Apex sent out a press release telling the BASE community to stop using them. I'm sure Ray Losli would get a kick out of you mailing them to him 15 years later, but if that's too much work for you I would recommend throwing them away.

http://www.basejumper.com/...ber%20bands;#1368929

Press Release:
http://www.basejumper.com/...ber%20bands;#1368744

skow

Apr 13, 2020, 9:13 AM
Post #3 of 4 (627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [idemallie] Black rubber bands [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the answer!

I've never planned on using them in any jumping related application, as I have heard the stories of them being too strong but i may find some usage for other things :)

TomAiello

Apr 13, 2020, 12:53 PM
Post #4 of 4 (599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [idemallie] Black rubber bands [In reply to] Can't Post

idemallie wrote:
I believe the specific application was intended for the Multi-bridle, but jumpers ended up using them as a tailgate rubber bands (although the coming press release said that was not endorsed by Apex). After multiple incidents of them not releasing when desired, Apex sent out a press release telling the BASE community to stop using them.

They actually told people to use them for tailgates, because that way they "never" wore out. They were good for probably 150-200 jumps, and if you tied them onto the tailgate you could just keep re-using them.

There were several problems, mostly related to them being too strong and hanging up, and one well-shared incident report (a Canadian jumper--I believe he later went on to invent the Flysite--who hit the ground with a stuck tailgate in heavy snow and was un-injured, but did a very thorough analysis).

They were also (a bit later) de-recommended for the multi stows (in the pack tray) because of an incident that involved an open container and an inflated PC towing at bridle extension (because the multi was stuck in the rubber bands) in Moab. Video of that incident also made the rounds of jumpers.

They actually make really good ultralight packing clamps (you can gather the line tabs in them for flat packing and they hold really well) if you want to pack in the field (for example, waiting for the boat to pick you up at Kjerag) and are used to using clamps. I had a friend who used to use them that way all the time, and actually collected them for that purpose from a bunch of people after BR/Apex sent out their safety bulletin.

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media