Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric
Premier Sponsor:

 


John_Scher

Mar 16, 2020, 12:19 PM
Post #1 of 9 (707 views)
Shortcut
Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric Can't Post

 

In 2012 there was a thread with mentions of the Asymmetric Tilley Fold and since then one or two mentions about it from HJ33 and perhaps a few others but very little.

I’ve always used the Jessie Hall method which is Symmetric but am really interested in reducing the bulk on my pack jobs but still retain the benefits of the Tilley Fold i.e. promoting Nose First inflation thru inhibiting the tail from inflating and inverting and thus significantly reducing the chance of line overs.

With all that said I can’t find a description or diagram of the Asymmetric folds other than someone saying it’s folded in thirds rather than quarters. I can of course take a guess, trial and error but would prefer and appreciate if someone can better describe the Asymmetric bit or better still post a diagram or video

BodeyM

Mar 16, 2020, 8:54 PM
Post #2 of 9 (663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this helpful or is it the thread you're already talking about?

http://www.basejumper.com/...post=2991446#2991446

John_Scher

Mar 17, 2020, 11:27 AM
Post #3 of 9 (584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BodeyM] Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric [In reply to] Can't Post

 
Bodey, I haven't seen that thread before and it is helpful or at least it should be. I appreciate your effort but it just seems I'm too thick to actually visualise what is meant by...

the accordion folds on each side go on top of the tail in "interlaced" manner, e.g. left-right, left-right, left-right - full width, without first folding them in half

...Three lots of left-right left-right left-right full width??

BodeyM

Mar 17, 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #4 of 9 (578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't played with it but I think what he's saying is the three main folded stacks of fabric on each side of your packjob, once you've cleaned up your tail, alternate folding those across the pack job left, then right all the way down. Does that make sense?

John_Scher

Mar 17, 2020, 12:10 PM
Post #5 of 9 (575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BodeyM] Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric [In reply to] Can't Post

 

...yes I'm understanding what you're describing.

Interlacing is yet another variation.

I wonder what Tom A and HJumper33 think of this interlace method

I must give it a try and see how it comes out.

Why don't you use it?

BodeyM

Mar 17, 2020, 1:03 PM
Post #6 of 9 (569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't jump very much and test jumping something i read on the internet is scary haha

epibase

Mar 17, 2020, 5:25 PM
Post #7 of 9 (543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric [In reply to] Can't Post

Ive been doing the asymmetrical tilley fold for 400+ jumps.
Slider up and slider off.
Once the tail is neat and tailpocket pulled down, i fold the entire left side over the middle, then the entire right side on top of that.. ive never tried with alternating method.
I still have on headings 90% of the time, and have never had more than a 90 in the other 10%..

hjumper33
Moderator
Mar 20, 2020, 6:08 AM
Post #8 of 9 (375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric [In reply to] Can't Post

Ill take a picture the next time I do a pack job, but yes its just as described by Jay above. I do the right fold first and then the left, but I dont think it matters at all. I use a single clamp to hold the folds together, but the folds themselves are pretty much in line with the tail pocket edges. Its funny that you mention Jesse because he is the one who first showed me the asymmetric fold many years ago as well.

AntoineLaporte

Mar 25, 2020, 3:38 AM
Post #9 of 9 (183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] Tilley Fold - Symmetric vs Asymmetric [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done both.
Now only doing the All_one_side/All_the_other_side.
I do not think that the little asymetric thing is changing something significant in the chaos that is a parachute getting out of the container, but it does not look as nice as the symetrical technic, and it is good for beginner to have something looking nice, it makes people feel more confident in the packjob and it helps for focusing on the other parts of the jumps.
I just chose this method first for slider down thinking that less folding is easier to unfold, and so, better for faster openings (this is also very probably more for my own confidence than it really does something).


Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media