Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
1st time in LB
Premier Sponsor:

jjmacc

Mar 7, 2020, 1:37 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2502 views)
Shortcut
1st time in LB Can't Post

Hey guys, im looking at possibly going to LB for about a week end of may.
Its my first time there and im going with my wife, (non jumper).

Looking to do a few jumps while im there. Im mainly a SD/off jumper with a few SU (120/ 20)

Are there any maps available to find some exits? (yellow ocean, nose, via bridge etc) Ive got a onesie but probably won't jump it on this trip, unless I can get current on it before I go.

So im mainly looking at good exits for going slick, and exits that don't take hours and hours to get to (wife...).

Im not looking for a jump fest, and I don't mind a bit of a hike to the exits suited more to the intermediate jumper.

Ive asked a few people that have been for bits of advice, but thought why not get as much info as possible and use the forum!

Just asking for any tips/advice anyone can give. I know about the landing card, calling air glacier etc, is there anything else I should know about or do/get before I go?

Thanks for any help.

TomAiello

Mar 7, 2020, 10:54 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jjmacc] 1st time in LB [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you looked over the SBA web site?

There's a list of exit points there, but I'm not sure about maps and such.

https://www.swissbaseassociation.org/exits

There should be plenty of people around at that time to hook up with, though, if you need someone to show you a couple exit points. The hard part will be finding someone who wants to go to the easier ones (like Dumpster) instead of just running laps on Ultimate (which I wouldn't recommend for your first trip there).

nickgreen

Mar 8, 2020, 12:18 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2357 views)
Shortcut

You have to make a stupid face for your train/cable car pass photograph, it’s the law!!

jjmacc

Mar 8, 2020, 8:43 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2319 views)
Shortcut
1st time in LB [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Tom, looked on the site they have good advice for exit grades (intermediate/ advanced etc) but nothing on location, I've heard they're fairly easy to find though, and will speak to other jumpers when I get there!

Ive been warned of the 'laps of ultimate' thing too, which is good because im only aiming for a couple of jumps a day so I don't mind going a bit further to the exits.

Nick, done haha.

MrAW

Mar 8, 2020, 9:17 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2314 views)
Shortcut

Suggest taking a regular PF tracking suit if you can, with a few skydives on it it'll be a bit safer than going slick.

flooooooo

Mar 9, 2020, 4:36 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2271 views)
Shortcut

- i strongly advice you not to go slick
- all the information about "difficulty" on the SBA website is with a modern tracksuit in mind.

i live in switzerland and jump in the valley a lot. you can contact me via pm for more info

jjmacc

Mar 9, 2020, 8:42 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flooooooo] 1st time in LB [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply, I think I will definitely take a 2 piece then.
It seems a lot of the jumps are 1000' ish, so it makes sense.

I do fancy some SD jumps too through, SD freefall is still my favourite jumping!

As I said, hopefully I'll be in my onsie anyway but this just depends if I can get some more skydives on it before the trip.

Once I have dates confirmed I'll PM you with any other questions, thanks again.

flooooooo

Mar 9, 2020, 9:09 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2233 views)
Shortcut

well, I also don't think its necessarily a great idea to jump with a one-piece with only limited terminal base experience, but that's your call ;)

hit me up when the time comes, I'm happy to help. Can't promise ill be there to take you around but I can always share information and maybe link you up with some other jumpers that go to appropriate exits. Wink

BigfcknG

Mar 11, 2020, 6:05 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Find Anton Squeezer on the socials. He knows what's up.

Brutus

Mar 12, 2020, 12:34 AM
Post #10 of 14 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigfcknG] 1st time in LB [In reply to] Can't Post

BigfcknG wrote:
Find Anton Squeezer on the socials. He knows what's up.

Laugh

jjmacc

Mar 12, 2020, 3:35 AM
Post #11 of 14 (1962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigfcknG] 1st time in LB [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah im meeting him there, the rest gave me wrong advice, he says to do laps of high ultimate to build up experience faster, and if I just take my WS straight away I'll be even further from the wall so it must be safer. nice guy.

smak

Apr 10, 2020, 2:27 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1403 views)
Shortcut

you think the hookup on socials is any better? just less immediate reprocussions most of the time but you are still slowly wearing away at and selling off your soul.

lb can be a blast slick.. just stick to yellow ocean for the most part, at least for the first trip.

its easy to find people to take you the first time usually, on your own its not so bad either the trail has been broken, just remember to keep right of the old barn where it separates la mousse from yellow when you reach the woods entrance.

the city of Lauterbrunnen has taken extrordinary measures and locked down stuff till april 19 at least.. i would check in about the situation before booking or if its too late, departing.

Hanzo

Apr 14, 2020, 10:27 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smak] 1st time in LB [In reply to] Can't Post

What bad advice did you get? Why are people such dickbags?

mccordia

May 14, 2020, 11:08 AM
Post #14 of 14 (602 views)
Shortcut

If you have not jumped a onesie in base before, the valley is not the place to make that transition. Though the most common jumps give you enough altitude for a nice flight, even the 'safest' ones have you only a few meters from the wall, and any bad exit and recovery will ruin your day. There Id advise to leave the onesie at home, and take a good 2 piece with you which you're also current on.

Jumping a 2 piece, Yellow Ocean, La Mouse and High Nose tend to be the more common exits.

I would mainly advise, try to find someone you actually know and trust. For sure you will find random people to tag along to an exit in the Horner packing area or in a gondola. But not everyone may be aware of your skills, experience and comfort zone. And some people will tell you 'this is fine' based on their own experience, which may not apply to you.

There are various schools who do courses, which end with guided jumping in LB such as LTBJ etc. which might be worth contacting to have a more structured first introduction to the valley, if you don't have anyone you know locally who advises you from a pov. of care and safety.

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media