Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Busted in the military
Premier Sponsor:

Bstepheng

Feb 26, 2020, 12:09 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1927 views)
Shortcut
Busted in the military Can't Post

Looking for anyone who has been busted BASE jumping while in the military. I’m going through the process now, so I’m curious to see how others came out from the process and what not.

idemallie
Feb 27, 2020, 5:39 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bstepheng] Busted in the military [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been busted, but I did have a Soldier get arrested for trespassing on a big green bridge in Auburn, CA. He was from the area, back on leave, and went up there with his buddies to take some pictures. The Soldier had prior issues with attitude and discipline and we ended up moving him to another platoon in the company. We did not pursue any kind of UCMJ, but that was, in part, due to the fact that we were deploying to Australia in 2 weeks and had better things to do.

From a theoretical perspective, a lot of it depends on your rank/position (bullshit I know, but it's true), how the authorities handled it, how you handle it, and whether or not you are perceived as a "good dude" by your chain of command. Your milage may vary. If you want more personalized advice PM me.

NickDG

Feb 27, 2020, 8:23 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1807 views)
Shortcut

In an historical sense I know of two BASE jumpers who had problems with the military. Keith Jones and 'Dead' Steve Morrell.

Keith Jones was locked up in the Yosemite jail system after the death of Susan Oatly in 1993. (Susan is the first El Capitan fatality and Yosemite's 3rd overall.) Keith is an Army reservist at the time and I think he missed a weekend drill while incarcerated. I don't recall what exactly happened in the aftermath but I do know Keith went on to finish a succesful full career in the reserves.

'Dead' Steve Morrell was caught BASE jumping also in Yosemite in the late 1980s while on active duty in the Air Force. As punishment the Air Force sent him to Sudia Arabia. However he found a small cliff in the desert and jumped but had an accident that broke both his legs. Being in the hospital Steve missed his flight home. That flight was Pam Am Flight 103, which blew up over Lockerbie, Scotland. Steve later died on a skydive.

Keith Jones is on FB and he might talk to you about what happened to him.

(This post was edited by NickDG on Feb 27, 2020, 12:07 PM)

jonmurrell

Feb 28, 2020, 2:30 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Like the mod said, based on your installation, job, rank, performance record, and command team, among other factors (what agency arrested you matters) there's a lot of ways it can go. Don't assume that because you're out of jail or already in NJP that the outcome is fixed either.

I've been jumping as long as I've been in and I've been on some sweet jumps, but none have been worth my career (or next future career) yet. We're not in the early 2000s anymore so tolerance for deviant behavior definitely has a lower limit, even in places that didn't used to give a shit.

PM or find me on facebook if you want to chat.

Colm

Feb 28, 2020, 8:45 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1578 views)
Shortcut

As long as drugs weren't involved, and you weren't a dick to the cops who arrested you, and you weren't already in hot water with your chain of command, you'll probably be fine. Unless you have a super sensitive job. Although I know some Army guys who have crazy rap sheets for stupid behavior, and still have security clearances. Just try not to get busted again.

And holy fuck please don't be the guy/gal who puts their illegal jumps on facebook, I promise that will not help.

Para_Frog

Mar 3, 2020, 5:31 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Admit nothing. Uncle Sugar only gets what you tell him. Think Joe has time to pour through records?

Nope. Don't say shit about BASE, or anything. If you must, self report a bullshit trespassing charge while trying to get the stinky pinky or some shit.

They won't understand BASE if you're in a "regular" unit.

I'm a MAJ(P) - biggest douchebags in the military - I know shit. I got busted and hung the summons on my office wall. I'm a dick sometimes though. Mustang and what not.

Hanzo

Mar 5, 2020, 8:48 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1288 views)
Shortcut

My brother got banged up on an antenna jump when he was with the rangers and they actually chalked it up to a training exercise. Very fucking cool. Just depends on your C.O. I guess.

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media