Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
pilot chute collaps
Premier Sponsor:

iranianjumper

Jan 31, 2020, 4:55 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2031 views)
Shortcut
pilot chute collaps Can't Post

why in this video pilot chute collapses for a while and then inflates again ?( seconds 11 to 13 )
Attachments: video_2020-01-31_16-17-20.mp4 (1.46 MB)

bluhdow

Jan 31, 2020, 8:44 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [iranianjumper] pilot chute collaps [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not collapsing. It's just pulsing a bit (as 2D pilot chutes do) while it stabilizes, fills with air, and starts to pull.

The slow-mo, I think, makes it appear more dramatic than it actually is.

We have video of all styles of PC exhibiting this behavior. Fabric does funny things (especially in slow-mo) in messy air.

Colm

Jan 31, 2020, 9:49 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluhdow] pilot chute collaps [In reply to] Can't Post

How much of that, do you think is just normal recoil of the fibers in the PC fabric? (vs. something else like turbulent air flow or loading of the center line)

bluhdow

Jan 31, 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] pilot chute collaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly not sure. Modern PCs are built either with multiple gores on the block, and/or with tapes on the bias in order to reduce pulsing/stretching in the fabric...but I'm not sure if it's possible to ever break down all of the contributing factors accurately enough to assign blame in that regard.

All PC designs do (different) funny things. It's a matter of deciding which behavior makes you the least uncomfortable and rolling with it! Tongue

flyjeronimo

Jan 31, 2020, 10:48 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1990 views)
Shortcut

iranianjumper wrote:
why in this video pilot chute collapses for a while and then inflates again ?( seconds 11 to 13 )

It's not collapsing... is just pulling your pins out... Wink perhpas too much tight (loops), but it is a very slow motion to think so. So nothing is wrong... Cool

And personnally, I will not pack (handle) my pilote chute like you. I prefer to start packing handle PC as mushroom, with mesh in the hand with starting from connexion on bridle between thumb and index (bridle coming from hand front). And so you just have to open your hand to leave the PC with a little move outsite of your body. You can flex the top fabric to compact all in your hand, if you want to make a long delay . In your case, it is not a delay enought to pack PC compact (only necessary to not be unstable by relative wind (handle SU or 4s SD).

(This post was edited by flyjeronimo on Jan 31, 2020, 11:00 PM)

Dadsy

Feb 1, 2020, 3:46 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1902 views)
Shortcut

I agree with flyjeronimo, looks like it is when the pins are being pulled, maybe they are too tight

Zebu

Feb 3, 2020, 6:44 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyjeronimo] pilot chute collaps [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be that there is a force pulling on the bridle so the PC is inflated, the pins pop leading to temporary slack / lack of force (the "collapsing"), and then the bridle is reloaded once it's pulling on the canopy

(This post was edited by Zebu on Feb 6, 2020, 10:03 PM)

AntoineLaporte

Feb 4, 2020, 11:03 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyjeronimo] pilot chute collaps [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think "too tight pins" are a real thing.
The difference between the force needed to pull a "loose" pin and a "tight" pin is really nothing compares to the traction power of a PC.
Test is with a dynamometer and I think you'll be surprised.

About the PC behaviour I think it's a normal thing that can happend, my guess is that with a vented PC this would happend less, but it's just a guess, I never tested it.

Fledgling

Feb 6, 2020, 3:41 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] pilot chute collaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Dadsy wrote:
I agree with flyjeronimo, looks like it is when the pins are being pulled, maybe they are too tight

If that is what you are going with I would suspect it is due to the additional bridle being released from the container, not "Tight Pins".
The rapid introduction of the additional slack into the system mid extraction would have to have some effect on the PC.

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media