Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
PC tube handle, should it stay or should it go?
Premier Sponsor:

bentley74

Nov 21, 2019, 2:05 PM
Post #1 of 6 (489 views)
Shortcut
PC tube handle, should it stay or should it go? Can't Post

Just taken delivery of new 42” pc from Adrenalinbase but not 100% sure about the tube handle it comes with. What’s the general opinion?

nickgreen

Nov 22, 2019, 4:05 AM
Post #2 of 6 (431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bentley74] PC tube handle, should it stay or should it go? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tape it up so as fingers etc can’t get caught in it

TomAiello

Nov 25, 2019, 8:36 AM
Post #3 of 6 (293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bentley74] PC tube handle, should it stay or should it go? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's personal preference, really.

I prefer to cut them off, personally.

As has already been said, if you do choose to leave it on, be sure to cap or fill the handle somehow so that you can't put your finger through it. I had the longest half second or so of my life a few years back trying to get the handle off my finger. Which obviously led to a less than ideal pitch, as well. You definitely want to avoid that.

bentley74

Nov 25, 2019, 9:00 AM
Post #4 of 6 (287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] PC tube handle, should it stay or should it go? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking it would probably be better without it, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a good reason to keep it.

It seems to me that pulling the pilot chute out by the handle is just going to expand it way before it gets anywhere near full bridal extension which could obviously be a massive entanglement risk.

If I cut the handle off, can I cut the piece of material that goes through it (or is that strip of material integral to the PC strength in any way?) or should I cut the plastic handle itself (which then leaves a loop of material at the crown of the PC that may be a snag risk)???

(This post was edited by bentley74 on Nov 25, 2019, 9:05 AM)

TomAiello

Nov 25, 2019, 9:02 AM
Post #5 of 6 (284 views)
Shortcut

I'd cut the tape (the material), not the plastic handle. The tape is only there to hold the handle, so there is no reason to have it there if the handle is removed, and as you pointed out, there is an extra entanglement risk from it.

bentley74

Nov 25, 2019, 9:07 AM
Post #6 of 6 (282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] PC tube handle, should it stay or should it go? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers dude, see you in July.

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media