Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
WS BASE: Is my plan reasonable?
Premier Sponsor:

audiobahn1000

Nov 6, 2019, 10:11 PM
Post #1 of 7 (603 views)
Shortcut
WS BASE: Is my plan reasonable? Can't Post

I'll start by saying I am not a BASE jumper (I see the rolling eyes already). I am a skydiver with 1100 jumps and 750 WS jumps. I do about 600 WS jumps a year. I am comfortable flying any size suit up to an A3/ CR+/ C-Race. However, I have yet to pick up BASE as the risk has scared me off so far up until recently.

One of the larger obstacles to me getting into BASE is lack of resources. Put simply, there is no legal BASE where I live nor is there any within any reasonable traveling distance. So to get into BASE would require an extended trip somewhere.

Before doing any BASE of any form I have a firm personal requirement that I have at least 1500 skydives, 1000 WS jumps and some experience jumping a BASE canopy in my skydiving rig on WS skydives. That is a completely reasonable objective that I can meet by next session.

The issue is the time. I can probably go on a 60-day trip, but that's about it. So I would have to basically fit everything into that window, bridge FJC, travel to Brento/ Norway/ Lauterbrunnen, slider up terminal coaching then WS BASE FFC. After that I am not sure if I'd ever return to BASE, especially WS BASE, just due to it not existing where I live. So it might end up being a one-and-done thing for me.

I dont have any interest in jumping an A3 through a crack somewhere. I'd be plenty happy and scared just to jump my ATC off Brento or some other newbie-friendly exit.

My question is how reasonable this goal is?

(This post was edited by audiobahn1000 on Nov 6, 2019, 10:22 PM)

MrAW

Nov 7, 2019, 1:26 AM
Post #2 of 7 (569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [audiobahn1000] WS BASE: Is my plan reasonable? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's totally reasonable but don't plan to do it in your first year of BASE. Just start with a good FJC, leave the wingsuit at home, and go from there. Get solid tracking experience and look at doing a wingsuit base jump down the track. It takes time but don't rush it, don't go in and you'll get there.

Toggle

Nov 7, 2019, 3:32 PM
Post #3 of 7 (459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrAW] WS BASE: Is my plan reasonable? [In reply to] Can't Post

OP, I like the info and outlook you put into your first post. You're on a reasonable track, but I totally agree with MrAW's advice.

Keep on WS'ing in skydiving. Take a BASE FJC and then spend a good year or so gaining experience in the non-WS BASE world, both slider down and slider up. This will give you a chance to see if you really like BASE and even more importantly, it will give you a chance to gain the depth of BASE knowledge you need before adding the complexity of wingsuits. Granted, you are certainly knowledgeable on wingsuiting in the skydiving world, but things are different in BASE.

Take some time to develop yourself as a BASE jumper first, and it will pay huge dividends when you eventually fly your wingsuit off cliffs.

Dadsy

Nov 8, 2019, 10:46 PM
Post #4 of 7 (335 views)
Shortcut

I would be surprised if anyone would take you on a WS BASE FFC within the first 60 days of you starting but I'm sure you will find someone

I don't understand the 1000 WS jumps before you would do any form of BASE jumping?

You are trying to rush and people die with much better and easier goals than yours

hjumper33
Nov 9, 2019, 1:20 AM
Post #5 of 7 (326 views)
Shortcut

Im confused at what part you think will be difficult. Are those 60 days the only time you can jump during the year? Do you have a sensitive job where any bust would be career threatening? I live in a place with no legal BASE jumps nearby, and started jumping my first year of Med school, which is kind of busy. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

RockyShark6

Nov 9, 2019, 2:47 PM
Post #6 of 7 (264 views)
Shortcut

I don't want to sound harsh but i don't understand your motives to why even do the first jump. Doing it all in 60 days just for never to return? Yhe seems like a waste of time, resources and risk. Where's there's a will there's a way.

About reasonable plan, nope. What you basically saying is the skydiving equality to doing a AFF, then onto wingsuit and swooping - all in 60 days, ofc managble but nlt wise. Then the whole skydiving number thing you are well qualified, experience isn't bad but it's more about personality. I've seen students doing better with only 150 skydives than new base jumpers with 1000s of skydives ans 20 base jumps. In the end they are two different sports, very similar but still different.

Its good that you have a goal and a heading, but start of with a FJC (there a many options) and you will see the next step a bit clearer.

MrAW

Nov 9, 2019, 4:27 PM
Post #7 of 7 (255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RockyShark6] WS BASE: Is my plan reasonable? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was reading his comment as being 60 days per year to do it - not 60 days total. I agree if it's 60 days total, trying to progress from 0 to WS BASE in that time is pushing it.

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media