Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Rodeo Vest for core protection
Premier Sponsor:

tcoogan

Nov 2, 2019, 5:53 AM
Post #1 of 7 (589 views)
Shortcut
Rodeo Vest for core protection Can't Post

Anyone ever considered these for core protection? Either from getting poked on tree landings or impacts? The sports have some similar injuries and mobility demands.

ESPN article on safety vest:
https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6674104

Rodeo gear:
https://www.americanrodeogear.com/RideRight-s/110.htm

bluhdow

Nov 4, 2019, 10:36 AM
Post #2 of 7 (463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tcoogan] Rodeo Vest for core protection [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember taking a container order for a UK jumper a year or two ago who would jump in some pretty heavy padding on his chest and back. I'm not sure if it was a vest of this style or another.

The only downside I see is that you'll want your gear to be built to your measurements while wearing the vest. I'm not sure if it would then be too large should you choose not to wear the vest for a jump for whatever reason.

hjumper33
Nov 5, 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #3 of 7 (376 views)
Shortcut

I find bulkier safety gear to be a double edged sword in base. Im less likely to get hurt hitting a low cliff If in wearing hanwags, a spine protector, full face helmet, elbow and shin pads, but I think I’m less likely to hit the cliff if I can run faster and push harder away, and have a quicker reaction once I open. I’d never tell someone not to wear a bunch of safety gear, but I think it’s a good discussion to have.

bluhdow

Nov 5, 2019, 12:02 PM
Post #4 of 7 (362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hjumper33] Rodeo Vest for core protection [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife is an Eventing rider, and wears these when she rides (for reasons made obvious in the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igyC80Q0OC4

(Not sure on the exact brand, but it's an air vest nonetheless).

I've thought about them a ton for BASE...just can't think of a practical way for them to be implemented. Obviously they can't tether to a saddle or motorcycle gas tank and activated by separation. It would have to be manually activated, and then you're dropping a toggle (or at best not paying attention for a second) to activate. Then there's always the risk of accidental deployments...so yeah. Double edged sword for sure.

I like the D3O in the back of the container. I landed on my back with it when I went into some trees and came out at the bottom (legs zipped into a WS). I don't know that it made a difference, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

Aside from that, a half shell helmet and knee/shin guards are good minimums to wear when you might hit a wall. The G4 is also promising.

tcoogan

Nov 6, 2019, 7:10 AM
Post #5 of 7 (308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluhdow] Rodeo Vest for core protection [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I didn't know horseback riding could be so dangerous. That vest is wicked cool, kind of like the avalanche ones Thanks for all the replies, some good points to think about.
I think all the videos of people bouncing off boulders and other obstacles made me think of the carnage that happens after falling off a 1000lb animal, that and motorcycle accidents.

One last thing, has anyone ever been poked or impaled on a tree landing?

(This post was edited by tcoogan on Nov 6, 2019, 7:29 AM)

bluhdow

Nov 6, 2019, 10:28 AM
Post #6 of 7 (290 views)
Shortcut

I have a friend that got stabbed pretty good on a tree landing. Branch went right through his wingsuit and into his ass cheek. Needed a decent amount of stitches if memory serves.

Dadsy

Nov 8, 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #7 of 7 (152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluhdow] Rodeo Vest for core protection [In reply to] Can't Post

dainese smart jacket

no tether all computer operated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3iIV7qZfPI

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me: