First jump from antena
Premier Sponsor:

GGinev

Oct 24, 2019, 6:48 AM
Post #1 of 16 (1336 views)
Shortcut
First jump from antena Can't Post

Hi

After few months waiting , today i receive a call.
They will switch off the antenna for repair.
If any advice ... pleas this is my first jump from antenna.
I know to stay far for cable. 256 meter high.

(This post was edited by GGinev on Oct 24, 2019, 6:58 AM)
Attachments: vid_mw_36.jpg (49.9 KB)

Dadsy

Oct 25, 2019, 2:32 AM
Post #2 of 16 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GGinev] First jump from antena [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a crazy amount of wires

GGinev

Oct 25, 2019, 4:17 AM
Post #3 of 16 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] First jump from antena [In reply to] Can't Post

Today I was for a close look.
What I see was :
Wires are attached 6 +/- half a meter under the top.
I found a spot where they are at 3 meters from ich others (wires) in the highest spot.
From "Accuweather" predict wind from 6 km\h. Unimpressed

Zebu

Oct 26, 2019, 7:50 PM
Post #4 of 16 (1085 views)
Shortcut

That looks like an AM antenna to me. Don't climb that imo. Look like AM to others?

Also, dont jump a fckin guy wired antenna for your first jump dummy. You can find 350-400' free standers

(This post was edited by Zebu on Oct 26, 2019, 7:50 PM)

try2live

Oct 27, 2019, 1:38 AM
Post #5 of 16 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] First jump from antena [In reply to] Can't Post

Dadsy wrote:
That is a crazy amount of wires
Yeah..Im sure you can find something more legit.

Colm

Oct 27, 2019, 12:50 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1014 views)
Shortcut

1. AM antenna, judging by the insulators on the guy wires. Don't ground yourself while touching it or you'll be severaly electrocuted. A lot of jumpers would not even climb that.
2. 90° quadrants (4 sets of wires). Compared to 120° wire configurations (3 sets), you have much narrower range of safe wind direction.
3. Also with 90° quadrants, if you have an off-heading you are that much closer to the wires already. And less room to maneuver.
4. Wind forecast on the ground isn't the whole story. Winds at exit and opening are important too.

Other antennas of this height could be a good first antenna jump. Not this one, not solo. Just my opinion.

edit: in fairness to the OP he did say that the electricity would be shut off for maintenance, so radiation / electrocution is not so much the problem. However even if the electricity was on, that might not be my scariest concern there. keep looking and be patient, there is better stuff out there.

(This post was edited by Colm on Oct 28, 2019, 9:29 PM)

base283

Oct 27, 2019, 2:19 PM
Post #7 of 16 (998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [try2live] First jump from antena [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with try2live. Do you skydive? How many BASE jumps have you? But you should listen to any advice that try2live says. His moniker says it all and I have met this demon and he is all good. If you want, Try2live or I can bring you on your dream jump. We know about radiation like you and can tell you which microwave food to bring up and cook while you are waiting for the fog to clear.
Just messing with ya but... Take care, and always plan for the next jump. To focus on one jump is not a career enhancing move in the sport of BASE IMHO. Get your BASE skills updated for the object you want to jump jump next. This was the way back in the day after the initial deaths of BASE.
So most of us here on this forum can help you achieve your dream jump. But by analyzing your post with AI It has concluded that you are in a danger zone of decision making in regard to this object. Get help fast ;) really. Radiation types from antennas types is oldschool knowledge. So I am kinda surprised at your post. But we can help you this dilemma. Remember, this is a life or death decision. Are you willing to die to jump this? Think about it in that perspective.
of course one can deathcamp it. but how are one using the learned skills for the next jump. I am a BASE instructor and I noticed that the one jump jumpers (I only want to do BASE one time) are the most prone to accidents. This is what I observed from ground crewing 8000+ jumps at Kjerag.
But, Reinventing the wheel is awesome. Really, Until you find out that MsExcel has a formula for it;) Take care, space

GGinev

Oct 28, 2019, 2:12 AM
Post #8 of 16 (939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base283] First jump from antena [In reply to] Can't Post

I have more BASE jumps than skydive .
And i really listen to any advice (not from my mom). This is the reason why i ask here in this forum.
I just found this antenna. This is why i want to hear opinions and advice from more experienced jumper.
Also, i don't wont to die epic , glowing at night :) or to be like Hulk (prefer Spiderman). Just joking Smile
Thanks, I have one week to think about this.

zmorlock

Oct 28, 2019, 9:58 PM
Post #9 of 16 (836 views)
Shortcut

you got any paragliding skills? Canopy control might help at this object. considering your posted BASE jump numbers.

GGinev

Oct 29, 2019, 1:58 AM
Post #10 of 16 (814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zmorlock] First jump from antena [In reply to] Can't Post

Update:
Antennas' maintenance will be for a realy short time.
Start early morning at 7 am (start shutdown procedure).
And must be online at 10 as a deadline.
I didn't know how much time it takes to climb 256 meters antenna !!
But I believe it's not good to be in it when the switch goes to "on".

I have less than 3 hours of flying (paragliding). But it was a long time ago ( 6 years ) and 1-hour last month.

science303

Oct 29, 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #11 of 16 (748 views)
Shortcut

Are there not any other antennas you could choose to jump?

Everything about this sounds like a bad idea, and that tower would be sketchy even if it was inactive and you didn't have an indeterminate amount of time between 0 and 3 hours to climb and jump it before someone flips the switch and you start getting cooked.

Between your claimed experience level and all the other factors here, the whole thing sounds like a recipe for failure and possibly a human barbecue.

(This post was edited by science303 on Oct 29, 2019, 11:47 AM)

epibase

Oct 29, 2019, 2:11 PM
Post #12 of 16 (726 views)
Shortcut

yeah those wires looks like they are at 90degree increments. meaning your heading performance must be pretty good...
you wont really be able to track too far out either..
sounds like a bad idea.

Colm

Oct 29, 2019, 7:29 PM
Post #13 of 16 (707 views)
Shortcut

Assuming it has a ladder, and the ladder is decent, how long it takes to climb is very different if you are in shape, or not in shape. Some people could climb it in 30 minutes or less. Some would take 2 hours. Some would not make it. If it is your first ladder climb, you will take a very long time. Other things to ask yourself: do I need to wear gloves or not? What kind? How far away from the wires will I be if I have an off heading, if I pitch at 1 second? 2 seconds? 3 seconds? 4 seconds? Will my eyes even notice the wires? How dumb will I feel when I need a rescue? If you do not know the answers to these questions already, better to learn on an easier antenna. I know of people flying into the wires in broad daylight, so don't assume it will be easy to miss them even if you open on-heading.

Here's another idea. Leave your rig at home. Go climb the ladder that day, and then climb down, to see what it's like to climb it. Look for places your gear could get snagged or torn on metal. See if you have to squeeze through any tight structures at the top or bottom. Then imagine doing it while wearing 12 kg of gear. Enjoy the view. Then take that knowledge, and go find a better antenna, and jump that one instead, when conditions are perfect.

(This post was edited by Colm on Oct 29, 2019, 7:31 PM)

GGinev

Oct 30, 2019, 3:44 AM
Post #14 of 16 (677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] First jump from antena [In reply to] Can't Post

Now i feel like a coward .
I have multiple injury (on legs and arm).
Maybe to climb this antenna will be a big problem for me.
In my country, most of the antennas are less than 30 meters or with police. I found 1 or 2 larger antennas (same as this)
and a few around 130 meters.

Maybe is better to jump from this later.
When i got better skills.
I'm gonna find some tall building or crane. Maybe ...

Thanks for advice Smile

Colm

Nov 1, 2019, 2:37 PM
Post #15 of 16 (535 views)
Shortcut

I hope it helps! I feel like a coward all the time in BASE. I hope it helps me stay alive :)

I think that is a good decision to wait. Good jumps to you my friend! Beer

GGinev

Nov 8, 2019, 8:52 AM
Post #16 of 16 (256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] First jump from antena [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you help a lot. But I have a lot of problems with the police now.
I jump from a crane and they got me :)
About antenna:
1st I did as you say. I leave my rig at home but I take an old backpack full with an old study book.
2nd I just go and try to climb the antenna.
3rd it was great fun but not for me :D
About 70 meters under the top wind was (in the right direction) but it was really powerful. I just freeze there and this was for 5 minutes. The antenna just moves from its center with more than 3 meters.

I want to jump from antennas more often LaughLaugh

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media