Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook
Premier Sponsor:

 


Colm

Oct 3, 2019, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 22 (2769 views)
Shortcut
Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook Can't Post

With all due respect to the named, accused subject of the article, I think it's important that new jumpers especially, see a real life example of what NOT to do on Facebook. I'm glad to say, it appears that person is not in legal hot water in this case, although basically only due to a technicality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...1a126de70_story.html

I'm not here to criticize anyone who has uploaded material like this, unaware of the potential consequences, which perhaps includes most people. Even if you don't care about burning the site for other jumpers, you should still ask yourself: Do I want my name and objects plastered all over news, while cops literally rummage through my house with a search warrant? At the very least... please... remove geolocation metadata before uploading, and make sure your media is not publicly viewable.

And if you know of someone new who is misbehaving in your community, I'll just add my $0.02 that there is almost always a positive, friendly way to connect with them and get them to change their ways. Unfortunately it involves time and effort. There's always that one individual out there as a counter-example, but I have not met that jumper in person yet.

Please be kind to each other and be aware of social media consequences. That is all.

Edit: typo


(This post was edited by Colm on Oct 3, 2019, 8:23 PM)

dmcoco84

Oct 3, 2019, 9:22 PM
Post #2 of 22 (2759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

 
I warned [him]...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q8hAb230OE

Laugh

Colm wrote:
With all due respect to the named, accused subject of the article, I think it's important that new jumpers especially, see a real life example of what NOT to do on Facebook. I'm glad to say, it appears that person is not in legal hot water in this case, although basically only due to a technicality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...1a126de70_story.html

I'm not here to criticize anyone who has uploaded material like this, unaware of the potential consequences, which perhaps includes most people. Even if you don't care about burning the site for other jumpers, you should still ask yourself: Do I want my name and objects plastered all over news, while cops literally rummage through my house with a search warrant? At the very least... please... remove geolocation metadata before uploading, and make sure your media is not publicly viewable.

And if you know of someone new who is misbehaving in your community, I'll just add my $0.02 that there is almost always a positive, friendly way to connect with them and get them to change their ways. Unfortunately it involves time and effort. There's always that one individual out there as a counter-example, but I have not met that jumper in person yet.

Please be kind to each other and be aware of social media consequences. That is all.

Edit: typo

Dadsy

Oct 3, 2019, 11:06 PM
Post #3 of 22 (2744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

My house was raided yesterday all my gear, SD cards and camera's taken and I was arrested because of someone else's facebook posts

MontBlanc

Oct 4, 2019, 12:58 AM
Post #4 of 22 (2713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

In short : those who upload media of their illegal or hidden jumps (for fame and ego) :
Fuck You !

gnarlysquirrel

Oct 5, 2019, 9:21 AM
Post #5 of 22 (2533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

Dadsy wrote:
My house was raided yesterday all my gear, SD cards and camera's taken and I was arrested because of someone else's facebook posts

I saw a bunch of the Aussie jumps in the media and was wondering what would come of that. The impression I have gotten from Aussies is that it is even worse there than it is here in the States.

Colm

Oct 5, 2019, 3:19 PM
Post #6 of 22 (2475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really sorry that happened to you. That sucks. I hope that they didn't get anything bad on you. And that you get your stuff back soon.

Colm

Oct 5, 2019, 3:20 PM
Post #7 of 22 (2474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gnarlysquirrel] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

gnarlysquirrel wrote:
I saw a bunch of the Aussie jumps in the media and was wondering what would come of that. The impression I have gotten from Aussies is that it is even worse there than it is here in the States.
Would you consider sharing the links here? It would help emphasize how much publicity can occur, from unthinking social media use.

Dadsy

Oct 5, 2019, 3:54 PM
Post #8 of 22 (2465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gnarlysquirrel] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

4 guys Dayblazed a building in the CBD at 8 in the morning. The building has the attorney generals office in it. So they aren't happy. I can only speak for Western Australia, before this I am unaware of anyone being bothered by the police. No I wasn't one of the 4

Dadsy

Oct 5, 2019, 3:58 PM
Post #9 of 22 (2464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

When they raided my house my computer was on, my facebook was open and some chats were up on the screen. So because I was fucked over I have inadvertently fucked a bunch of other people over

science303

Oct 6, 2019, 12:37 PM
Post #10 of 22 (2350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never understood why so many in the sport have become essentially completely accepting of and even friendly towards those who openly burn sites for internet points. These people got into BASE entirely for the attention they thought it would get them. They contribute nothing positive.

These fuckheads are hurting all of us, and the future of the sport as a whole. They should be treated accordingly, not welcomed with open arms.


(This post was edited by science303 on Oct 6, 2019, 5:32 PM)

gnarlysquirrel

Oct 6, 2019, 1:58 PM
Post #11 of 22 (2337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

Colm wrote:
gnarlysquirrel wrote:
I saw a bunch of the Aussie jumps in the media and was wondering what would come of that. The impression I have gotten from Aussies is that it is even worse there than it is here in the States.
Would you consider sharing the links here? It would help emphasize how much publicity can occur, from unthinking social media use.

https://news.google.com/stories/CAAqOQgKIjNDQklTSURvSmMzUnZjbmt0TXpZd1NoTUtFUWpiNWVtZGpvQU1FYXM0UElGZkMxOGtLQUFQAQ

MontBlanc

Oct 6, 2019, 2:18 PM
Post #12 of 22 (2330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

Colm wrote:
gnarlysquirrel wrote:
I saw a bunch of the Aussie jumps in the media and was wondering what would come of that. The impression I have gotten from Aussies is that it is even worse there than it is here in the States.
Would you consider sharing the links here? It would help emphasize how much publicity can occur, from unthinking social media use.

Australian guy dayblaze a monument in Bern Switzerland AND upload the video on a public website ....

https://m.20min.ch/...le-de-berne-28616858


(This post was edited by MontBlanc on Oct 6, 2019, 2:36 PM)

science303

Oct 6, 2019, 5:37 PM
Post #13 of 22 (2297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MontBlanc] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

MontBlanc wrote:
Australian guy dayblaze a monument in Bern Switzerland AND upload the video on a public website ....

https://m.20min.ch/...le-de-berne-28616858

This douche has made dayblazing and/or burning one site a week for youtube his mission in life.

If his reddit handle is accurate, his name is Rory Allen. If he comes sniffing around for locals to show him around anywhere, I'd suggest turning him away.. unless you're willing to sacrifice site access for yourself and everyone else so that some shithead can attention whore on the internet.


(This post was edited by science303 on Oct 6, 2019, 6:02 PM)

Colm

Oct 7, 2019, 8:26 AM
Post #14 of 22 (2188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

Dadsy wrote:
When they raided my house my computer was on, my facebook was open and some chats were up on the screen. So because I was fucked over I have inadvertently fucked a bunch of other people over

I described some of this in a PM to Dadsy, but I'll repeat it for the public benefit:
1. even if your laptop was turned off, they could get all the info off it by other means.

2. that info is likely to include login passwords / tokens for Facebook, Google, bj.com, and other social media websites. So they can now easily raid those accounts too. People who are Facebook friends of the raided individuals should think about what is on their account now, and realize that the authorities will use your social media friends' accounts to look at what you share privately with them. I would never tell you to take down incriminating information, because that might be construed as obstruction of justice in some places, so act according to your conscience.

3. even if Dadsy's hard drive was encrypted, an Australian court can apparently compel you to give up the password.

4. one can still protect themselves by elaborate data hiding schemes (Link: plausible deniability), but by far the most effective way to protect ones self is to for people to not post illegal jumps.

Something significant should be dawning on people now. Unrelated Aussie jumpers, who may have PMs or facebook chats with other people, likely now have those chats in the hands of the authorities. Perhaps because of the selfish online actions of another.

AntoineLaporte, (for example) has bravely tried to defend the action of posting illegal jumps. And though I disagree with him very strongly, I appreciate him joining the discussion. If other people feel differently please add your opinion.

gnarlysquirrel

Oct 7, 2019, 10:38 AM
Post #15 of 22 (2155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

Colm wrote:
Dadsy wrote:
When they raided my house my computer was on, my facebook was open and some chats were up on the screen. So because I was fucked over I have inadvertently fucked a bunch of other people over

I described some of this in a PM to Dadsy, but I'll repeat it for the public benefit:
1. even if your laptop was turned off, they could get all the info off it by other means.

2. that info is likely to include login passwords / tokens for Facebook, Google, bj.com, and other social media websites. So they can now easily raid those accounts too. People who are Facebook friends of the raided individuals should think about what is on their account now, and realize that the authorities will use your social media friends' accounts to look at what you share privately with them. I would never tell you to take down incriminating information, because that might be construed as obstruction of justice in some places, so act according to your conscience.

3. even if Dadsy's hard drive was encrypted, an Australian court can apparently compel you to give up the password.

4. one can still protect themselves by elaborate data hiding schemes (Link: plausible deniability), but by far the most effective way to protect ones self is to for people to not post illegal jumps.

Something significant should be dawning on people now. Unrelated Aussie jumpers, who may have PMs or facebook chats with other people, likely now have those chats in the hands of the authorities. Perhaps because of the selfish online actions of another.

AntoineLaporte, (for example) has bravely tried to defend the action of posting illegal jumps. And though I disagree with him very strongly, I appreciate him joining the discussion. If other people feel differently please add your opinion.

It's been tough but it is happening slowly that most of my close friends are moving our conversations to Signal messenger with timeout set to one day. The trick is to use Signal for your normal communications as well, otherwise you'll start accidentally talking about jumping on messenger and whatsapp.

Facebook has made a meaningful effort in the last year to move to true end to end encryption of messages in all their systems. It has caused internal political turmoil because this makes other team efforts difficult (eg spam detection).

The case of a random bystander getting raided because of someone else's illegal jump is appropriate. There are similar horror stories on the dark web. Some guy buys pot from a dealer who also sells 3d weapon designs. Gov agencies go super hard on the guy buying pot to secure his assistance in tracking down the dealer.

dorkitup

Oct 15, 2019, 6:48 PM
Post #16 of 22 (1692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I have to laugh my ass off at this. I've visited the area and have heard that for years the (former) locals denied this guy entry into BASE because of his fragile ego, insecurity (attention seeking), complete recklessness on the dropzone (the one in DE and he got kicked out of O), and his entitled attitude (because he could run fast and thought that meant something, hahaha).

Who knows who the locals are now, but I'm sure at least Tree can be proud (mentor). Hahahahahahaha! That local jumper scene used to be so respected. What a joke they've become! Hahaha! Love it the same way I love Breaking Bad. A wonderful implosion. And love the rich history that continues to be dashed! (ask Adam Filipino about his jumps in that area when he was a local. Always undetected. Or ask 416 when he was around.) Go Chuck Go! Obviously you should get the next redbull contract and the love from whuffos you so desperately want. Don't cum on your own chest too hard tho! Haha!

Edited to say: Please don't take this post too seriously. Its BASE. No one give a fuck. No one is curing cancer here.

(This post was edited by dorkitup on Oct 15, 2019, 6:55 PM)

skow

Oct 16, 2019, 9:59 PM
Post #17 of 22 (1534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gnarlysquirrel] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

gnarlysquirrel wrote:
The case of a random bystander getting raided because of someone else's illegal jump is appropriate.

Could you explain a bit more, because i can't see any reason this being even remotely close to appropriate? Unless being friend of a suspect has became illegal.

snhughes

Oct 25, 2019, 3:20 AM
Post #18 of 22 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

If you go to this link:

https://www.facebook.com/...on=sessions&view
you will see a section "Where you are logged in". You can then logout on the other computers/devices.

Dadsy

Oct 25, 2019, 3:43 AM
Post #19 of 22 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snhughes] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, that is handy to know

idemallie
Moderator
Oct 29, 2019, 5:57 PM
Post #20 of 22 (976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

Dadsy wrote:
My house was raided yesterday all my gear, SD cards and camera's taken and I was arrested because of someone else's facebook posts

When you say 'raided', are we talking battering ram and tackling you onto the floor raided or ding-dong, hello sir, we are taking you to jail raided?

Dadsy

Oct 29, 2019, 5:59 PM
Post #21 of 22 (973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [idemallie] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

I was at work, they gave me 20 min to get home or they were breaking their way in

outrager
Moderator
Nov 12, 2019, 12:23 PM
Post #22 of 22 (575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Why NOT to post your illegal jumps on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/...EN20191112008100315?

Two Russians under police probe for jumping off skyscrapers in Busan.


(This post was edited by outrager on Nov 12, 2019, 12:24 PM)


Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media