Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Off heading opening and wall strike issues decreasing?
Premier Sponsor:

stayhigh13k

Sep 25, 2019, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Off heading opening and wall strike issues decreasing? Can't Post

Are the canopies opening more on heading nowadays? Cause shit used to be a big huge deal and I just don't see or hear about them.

Toggle

Sep 25, 2019, 9:08 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stayhigh13k] Off heading opening and wall strike issues decreasing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wall strikes are still happening, but now it's in freefall with wingsuits. Unsure

MontBlanc

Sep 26, 2019, 12:38 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stayhigh13k] Off heading opening and wall strike issues decreasing? [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the tracking & wingsuit possibilities, people tend to open far from cliff and to go in the trees rather than in the cliff in case of off-heading Cool

MBA-PATTO

Sep 29, 2019, 5:19 PM
Post #4 of 9 (822 views)
Shortcut

http://bfl.baseaddict.com/record/BFL375

FatGoat

Sep 29, 2019, 9:12 PM
Post #5 of 9 (798 views)
Shortcut

Definitely still an issue. I had a gnarly one just last year.

jjmacc

Sep 29, 2019, 11:06 PM
Post #6 of 9 (791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FatGoat] Off heading opening and wall strike issues decreasing? [In reply to] Can't Post

100% still an issue. my mate had one last week in Scotland. jumped with a slight crosswind, pitched almost straight away going HH. Got a 180 and bounced down the rest of the wall. luckily his GoPro took a beating but he walked away with a few cuts and bruises, (after being air lifted by mountain rescue).

New gear, so it still happens if you make silly decisions.

seeya

Oct 2, 2019, 6:36 AM
Post #7 of 9 (605 views)
Shortcut

The one I see is the running exit with a short delay, the run combined with the arc creates a relative wind that influences the pilot chute and can cause an off heading.

(This post was edited by seeya on Oct 2, 2019, 6:37 AM)

OLopez

Oct 2, 2019, 4:20 PM
Post #8 of 9 (548 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jjmacc] Off heading opening and wall strike issues decreasing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw that video and there seemed to be a bit more than a 'slight crosswind'... It looked more like a pretty good gust to me!

Zebu

Oct 3, 2019, 5:21 PM
Post #9 of 9 (446 views)
Shortcut

Only fatalities have a solid data set. I would bet that you dont hear about 90%+ of wall strikes

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media