Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Pala2 or Onesie Power?
Premier Sponsor:

simensays

Aug 11, 2019, 1:49 PM
Post #1 of 9 (10092 views)
Shortcut
Pala2 or Onesie Power? Can't Post

At first glance, these two onepiece suits looks fairly similar to me, conceptually, along with aspects like size, shape, flight characteristics and price. I'm looking to upgrade my old Tube3, and would appreciate some empirical input regarding the Pala2 and Onesie Power (I'm not looking for input on others suits).

skow

Aug 13, 2019, 9:35 PM
Post #2 of 9 (9889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simensays] Pala2 or Onesie Power? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have the chance, it's best to test them.

You may like the handling of one better than the other, which will have big impact on the performance.

It's like wingsuits, some people like one company better than the other, even though the suits may be of the same size and might seem almost identical (not saying that pala and onesie are identical)

Heat

Aug 14, 2019, 2:37 AM
Post #3 of 9 (9863 views)
Shortcut

The Onesie Power is amazing. Fast, stable and easy to fly.

setarkos

Aug 14, 2019, 3:06 AM
Post #4 of 9 (9859 views)
Shortcut

You won't get an unbiased opinion - I don't think anyone has even flown both suits - so I will give my biased opinion.

I have the Pala2 and I'm very happy with it. It inflates fast and is super easy to fly.
For what it's worth, I don't think the two suits are very similar - neither in design nor in performance.

I don't think you can start the Onesie Power as quickly without sacrificing energy. When I look at the faster OP starts on skyderby they never get to a very good glide down the line. Where the OP seems to excel is at very high speeds but you have to get to that speed first.

This is all somewhat presumptuous as there are not yet many Pala2s around but a shitload of OPs.
Looking at what has been tracked in the Cruise+ goes to show that the pilot makes a bigger difference than the suit anyways. Having said that I don't think I'm an exceptional tracker, yet the OPs usually don't keep up on a regular valley day.

The impressive OP tracks on skyderby are all on rather vertical exits with a diving start. If that's your style of tracking this might be the suit for you.
I have yet to see an OP track with a sub-500 start subsequently averaging GR 2.2+ over the next 20s without losing speed like this one https://skyderby.ru/tracks/36080. This was only my 6th jump in the suit (although I had ~50 on the Pala1) and I wasn't going for performance metrics just flying according to the terrain.

But there might be better OP tracks that I haven't seen and there is context to every jump: winds, thermals, terrain etc. so who knows.... I'm sure there are people good enough to outperform me in an OP since the pilot is for sure the more important variable.

(This post was edited by setarkos on Aug 14, 2019, 8:11 AM)

AntoineLaporte

Aug 14, 2019, 4:37 PM
Post #5 of 9 (9774 views)
Shortcut

As I am designing an other that is not in your list I think I can be less biaised tahn some others.

As the previous answer an to make it short I would say:
- Pala2 has better starts
- Onesie Power get speed faster because of its starts and probably is the fastest one piece suit
- glide is probably very similar at the end

I think the best is to choose depending on the exits you want to jump:
- Brento/Mushroom/... style exits, big rock drop and good height to the landing: Onesie Power
- Shorter exits (7-8 sec) or shorter jumps (Less than 700m like Lauter): Pala2

erickunkel09

Aug 31, 2019, 11:55 AM
Post #6 of 9 (9479 views)
Shortcut

I think this is a great topic and you've got some excellent feedback so far. I agree that they are two very different suits. I've flown a handful of one piece suits (Onesie Original, OP, Half-A, Mono, etc) and it really does break down to what you want to do with the suit and what style you're comfortable with and qualified for. Currently i'm in love with my Onesie Power. incredibly stable, fast, good glide, easy pull, completely free arm mobility, etc. It just feels right. BUT Thats not to say that you wouldn't feel right at home in a different suit as well. I would say the number of Onesie Powers in circulation speaks for itself and I have yet to hear much negativity of it from anyone. In the end, the suit you will be best in is the one you feel most comfortable in and the one you spend the most time in.

simensays

Sep 15, 2019, 8:56 AM
Post #7 of 9 (3232 views)
Shortcut
Pala2 or Onesie Power? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys, there are indeed some very good and informative feedback that have been posted! I really appreciate it, and will be contemplating them all when ordering a suit this winter. Naturally I am aware that it comes down to the person jumping the suit, and what type of jumping one does. Still, it is very educational to get these hands on experiences and thoughts.

Thanks again ya'll!

garyatchavez

Sep 15, 2019, 5:51 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [setarkos] Pala2 or Onesie Power? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for posting the link...seeing the data and video is really helpful to someone just learning to fly wingsuits and tracking suits.

flooooooo

Sep 24, 2019, 3:17 AM
Post #9 of 9 (660 views)
Shortcut

Maybe this video can give you a better idea about the Pala2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcQgcVri_Lk

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register