Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Slider and PC selection
Premier Sponsor:

ChaseTheHorizon

Jul 26, 2019, 9:39 PM
Post #1 of 9 (766 views)
Shortcut
Slider and PC selection Can't Post

Blackjack 280, 180lb jumper, does fine mesh slider and 38’’ PC sound reasonable for terminal jumps on a two piece? Skydiving with flysight shows I am slowing to under 100mph on deployment.

TomAiello

Jul 26, 2019, 9:49 PM
Post #2 of 9 (764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChaseTheHorizon] Slider and PC selection [In reply to] Can't Post

38 should be fine.

Jumping that combination personally I would probably use a 32, but I'm probably pulling higher than you, too.

I prefer fine mesh sliders with the Blackjack. But again, as an old guy, I tend to pull a bit higher.

ChaseTheHorizon

Jul 31, 2019, 3:58 PM
Post #3 of 9 (584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Slider and PC selection [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Tom, I'll be pulling plenty high. If I'm filming my openings, is there anything to watch out for that would indicate PC too big for my deployment speeds? Or is it more just total time from pitch to inflation and how hard it feels?

TomAiello

Jul 31, 2019, 7:05 PM
Post #4 of 9 (570 views)
Shortcut

Deformation of the pack job immediately after extraction, or slow inflation. How hard it feels is a really poor indicator. In general, the issue is that excessive snatch force can deform the pack job so much that it creates problems with the opening. That's more likely to give you slower openings (as the canopy un-fucks itself) than faster ones.

Speed from extraction to line stretch (if it's obviously slow) can be an indicator of too small a PC, but at terminal it's likely to be super fast with almost anything.

AntoineLaporte

Aug 1, 2019, 10:10 AM
Post #5 of 9 (513 views)
Shortcut

BlackJack has strong openings and the fine mesh is a must have I think in slider up terminal velocity.
For the PC I would also take the 38, it's an heavy canopy. 36 would do the job also fine, I would not go for a smaller than that.
PC size has to be chosen on the speed at opening and the canopy weight.
If you are not "flaring" (lower your speed) before pitching go for 36, 38 if you do.

ChaseTheHorizon

Aug 6, 2019, 8:15 PM
Post #6 of 9 (361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] Slider and PC selection [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Antoine that confirms my choices, 38 and fine mesh, I flare and seem to be about 100mph at deployment.

skow

Aug 7, 2019, 10:29 PM
Post #7 of 9 (284 views)
Shortcut

You may want to work on the flare a bit. 100 mph is a very high speed. (quite close to terminal WS speed)

EDIT: I checked my data and I'm at around 40 mph

(This post was edited by skow on Aug 7, 2019, 10:32 PM)

ChaseTheHorizon

Aug 8, 2019, 4:44 AM
Post #8 of 9 (255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skow] Slider and PC selection [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm talking two piece tracking suit, and total speed not horizontal or vertical component, what do you deploy at 40mph on?

(This post was edited by ChaseTheHorizon on Aug 8, 2019, 4:53 AM)

skow

Aug 8, 2019, 4:55 AM
Post #9 of 9 (250 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, I thought you meant WS. My bad :)

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media