OSP2
Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

John_Scher

May 29, 2019, 5:20 PM
Post #1 of 29 (8180 views)
Shortcut
OSP2 Can't Post

Andrej advised they can be pre-ordered and I understand there is at least one being tested in the UK.

It was mentioned that the glide has been enhanced implying that it might be a significantly different canopy.

Has anyone got one or flown one and can advise on its charachteristics?

TransientCW

May 29, 2019, 7:06 PM
Post #2 of 29 (8159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Interested to hear info on this. I ordered an UL Vision 285 in early February, and am literally waiting on pins and needles.......

From what I have heard from a few folks, the Vision IS an OSP with better glide and sacrificing every-so-slightly on deep brake flight, but time will tell. I am curious as to how the OSP2 and Vision will differ

try2live

May 30, 2019, 4:34 AM
Post #3 of 29 (8094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TransientCW] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Ive seen the vision fly, and its makes me and my osp a little jealous

John_Scher

May 30, 2019, 5:02 AM
Post #4 of 29 (8080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TransientCW] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

There is quite a bit of discussion and info on the Vision on this site.

From what I can make out it is a High Glide Canopy and has significantly different flight characteristics from the OSP. It is comparable to other High Glide canopies i.e. the Hayduke. The original OSP is perhaps more akin to the Outlaw. TomA has quite a bit of experience on Visions (and most other canopies) and has severally discussed them here.

Also there is now the VisonWS iteration.

I dont own either (yet) so I'm only repeating what I think has been stated in these forums.

(This post was edited by John_Scher on May 31, 2019, 5:21 AM)

TomAiello

May 30, 2019, 7:08 AM
Post #5 of 29 (8052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [try2live] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

try2live wrote:
Ive seen the vision fly, and its makes me and my osp a little jealous

I know a guy who can get you one. Wink

TransientCW

May 30, 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #6 of 29 (7988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [try2live] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

well amigo I'm hoping to come for a baring load later this year - assuming I'm off supervised probation by then (which I should be)...... We'll have to catch up and you can jump my rig off something SD in your neck of the woods. Seeing that we have never actually jumped together........

John_Scher

Jul 12, 2019, 3:07 AM
Post #7 of 29 (7464 views)
Shortcut

I guess that most people know that the OSP2 has now been officially released.

So far I've been advised it has better glide, faster speed and better openings.

However, I really want to know if it's still capable of doing everything an OSP1 can do and for which it was designed and for which it is praised ie...

OSP1 Overview
"The OSP incorporates a new thicker profile to further improve deep brake flying characteristics as well as a shorter line set to promote faster openings and better on-heading performance. The OSP design also has the advantage of reducing the forward speed of the canopy after opening which helps object avoidance in the case of an off heading opening. A steeper descent on the order of one to one is desirable as for slider down jumps the landing area is generally underneath or close to the object. Thus not only is a low forward speed beneficial, but a low descent rate also. The canopy profile of the OSP has been specially selected to enable steep landing approaches, generating high lift even when the flow is partially separated"

Can the OSP2 really do all the above or is it intended for a different application entirely like gliding at a higher speed to far away LZ's?

If it does not build upon the strengths of the original OSP1 then in my opinion it shouldnt be called an OSP at all as it's misleading.

(This post was edited by John_Scher on Jul 12, 2019, 3:15 PM)

BigfcknG

Jul 12, 2019, 3:43 AM
Post #8 of 29 (7457 views)
Shortcut

It says it does what the old one did but better. So gliding to far away LZs at speed is not what it's made for. It says that in the quote you included.

John_Scher

Jul 12, 2019, 4:14 AM
Post #9 of 29 (7450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigfcknG] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Am I misunderstanding you?

The quote I have included is for the original OSP not the OSP2

BigfcknG

Jul 12, 2019, 4:19 AM
Post #10 of 29 (7445 views)
Shortcut

Seems it's me misreading the quote. I thought it was for the OSP2, with it mentioning improvements and a new profile. My bad.

TomAiello

Jul 12, 2019, 5:40 PM
Post #11 of 29 (7328 views)
Shortcut

I haven't ever encountered a BASE canopy that I would say had better openings than the OSP. That's a pretty high bar to set for the OSP2. I'll be curious to examine the specifics of its openings.

StraightEdge

Jul 12, 2019, 10:24 PM
Post #12 of 29 (7303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

That depends on what you mean by "better". I've jumped two canopies that pressurized as fast, if not faster. The FOX xs being one. And the OSP was my go-to canopy for some time.

John_Scher

Jul 13, 2019, 4:13 AM
Post #13 of 29 (7271 views)
Shortcut

Andrej advised:
Flying and specifications are in between the current OSP and Vision but still closer to OSP as that is what we wanted. Vision has more speed and glide.

A UK Test Jumper advised:
..better glide, better in winds, still slow and safe, better openings

John_Scher

Jul 14, 2019, 5:48 AM
Post #14 of 29 (7185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StraightEdge] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

StraightEdge wrote:
That depends on what you mean by "better". I've jumped two canopies that pressurized as fast, if not faster. The FOX xs being one. And the OSP was my go-to canopy for some time.

What is your go-to canopy now?

jools

Jul 14, 2019, 9:11 AM
Post #15 of 29 (7162 views)
Shortcut

I must say, having performed well over 400, possibly over 500 PCAs (I probably did over 200 at the first AirgameZ), I?ve never seen a canopy open and fly as fast as a Fox XS when PCAd. I?ve never jumped one and the ones I?ve PCAd were quite small, meaning slightly shorter lines and less internal volume to fill, so I cannot speak too intelligently about them overall, however I was genuinely amazed how quickly it got flying off a Building in Glasgow

(This post was edited by jools on Jul 14, 2019, 1:18 PM)

John_Scher

Jul 14, 2019, 9:57 AM
Post #16 of 29 (7157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jools] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Jools,
I know you use a regular OSP and speak highly of it.
(i've captured a bunch of your posts over the years)

I believe you jump with a UK based Atair test jumper on occasions.
What have you heard about the OSP2?
Have you tried one?
Would you consider trading up your OSP1 for an OSP2?

(This post was edited by John_Scher on Jul 15, 2019, 5:12 AM)

jools

Jul 14, 2019, 1:25 PM
Post #17 of 29 (7125 views)
Shortcut

I absolutely love the OSP, far superior to the Vision for my style of jumping. I really don?t think the Vision opens or pressurises any faster or better than an OSP I?ve jumped the OSP down to circa 88ft but I wouldn?t feel comfortable jumping my Vision that low (or my troll or Outlaw for that matter). I?ve not jumped the 2 but I?d say the openings were comparable (after PCAing them) to the OSP and Vision. I guess it flys a little further but it?s pretty hard to tell jumping low-ish Bs at 2am who had the better glide.

The Fox XS is the only canopy I?ve noticed opens noticeably higher than X canopy.

(This post was edited by jools on Jul 14, 2019, 1:30 PM)

StraightEdge

Jul 14, 2019, 2:24 PM
Post #18 of 29 (7113 views)
Shortcut

A FOX xs 245 and a custom Mayhem 240 with 5 large vents, a shorter line set and an all ZP topskin.

And I was under that FOX xs that Jools PCA'd from that lowish building in Glasgow. Tongue

TomAiello

Jul 17, 2019, 9:54 AM
Post #19 of 29 (6921 views)
Shortcut

How would you rate the control response on those canopies?

I have jumped both a FOX XS (no longer in production) and one of the Mayhem variants with the shorter lines and larger vents, and they both had super-fast pressurization (faster than anything else including the OSP). But I also found them a lot less docile than the OSP in terms of toggle response, and generally found the OSP better designed for dealing with the rest of the jump after opening.

I've found the Vision to open as fast as the OSP, and those two canopies to open faster than anything else on the market at this point.

There's definitely a spectrum of pressurization speeds, with (of general production canopies available today) the OSP and Vision in the first group, most canopies (Flik II, Hayduke, etc) in the second group, and then a slower pressurizing third group that pretty much consists only of the Blackjack and Outlaw. You can alter the characteristics somewhat by altering the brake settings (this is especially true of the Outlaw) but there is a limit to that (and other trade offs as well).

StraightEdge

Jul 17, 2019, 11:07 AM
Post #20 of 29 (6912 views)
Shortcut

The control response on both is just fine, exactly what you would expect from slow and docile 7-cell BASE canopies of older design. Easily as docile as my two OSPs were. However, they lack the topskin slats, which means they do not have the same deep brake performance and "easy" flare characteristics: you have to think more about the timing and nature of your flare. I found I became lazy under the OSP because you can safely flare from quite deep brakes.

There are trade-offs with the OSP. For example, it may be really hard to stall it compared to (some) non-slatted canopies, and it may provide great stability in turbulent conditions, but it also lacks glide and wind penetration. I think the OSP is a great canopy for certain conditions, applications and styles; I loved it. I moved on because I needed to sell rigs and the OSP has good resale value. Also, Atair would not build me a custom one.

I think it's worth pointing out that most older BASE canopy designs are perfectly airworthy; I had qualms about buying my FOX xs because of the age of the design, but ended up respecting and enjoying it. It's ideal for my limited jumping style of mid (300') to low (114') objects using assisted deployment methods and short delay handhelds. Also, I am past 50, only jump slider-off and have no desire to utilize a faster BASE canopy that requires better reactions than my ageing reflexes can provide.

When considering a new OSP-style canopy, it might be worth investigating Bad Seed's new Beast.

TheHungarian

Jul 17, 2019, 2:16 PM
Post #21 of 29 (6875 views)
Shortcut

I have a Mayhem. I'm not on here too much, so maybe the information I've heard is outdated. but with regards to investigating the Beast canopy from Badseed; what does everybody think of Brandons canopies?

My Mayhem opens darn quick and I'm impressed with durability haha, but I've heard a lot of different opinions on the flare, glide, and deep braked flight.

On the other side of the spectrum, we have Atair, who's consistency between canopies seems to be legendary.

I'd appreciate if someone with more personal experience with Badseed/Ataire could give me more info between the two companies, and similar canopies that they make.

TomAiello

Jul 17, 2019, 2:31 PM
Post #22 of 29 (6872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheHungarian] OSP2 [In reply to] Can't Post

TheHungarian wrote:
I have a Mayhem. I'm not on here too much, so maybe the information I've heard is outdated. but with regards to investigating the Beast canopy from Badseed; what does everybody think of Brandons canopies?

The problem with evaluating Mayhems is that every one seems to be different. It's not a question of "is the Mayhem a good canopy?" but rather a question of "which Mayhem do I want?"

The changes in the design have been so frequent (almost continuous) that you have to actually have the specific Mayhem in hand to test it, in order to know what you're getting.

I've owned five different Mayhems over the years (we still have two of them in service) and they have all been dramatically different canopies.

TomAiello

Jul 17, 2019, 2:33 PM
Post #23 of 29 (6870 views)
Shortcut

StraightEdge wrote:
I think it's worth pointing out that most older BASE canopy designs are perfectly airworthy;

I totally agree.

Many jumpers (and most manufacturers) would like to think that you have to be jumping brand new gear or you're in terrible danger. The truth is a long way from that.

I regularly jump gear that was manufactured in the 1990's and it works just fine. It's mostly a question of being able to evaluate the specific piece of gear you are using relative to your specific uses.

Colm

Jul 17, 2019, 6:29 PM
Post #24 of 29 (6849 views)
Shortcut
Old, airworthy gear [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone want my dagger? Sly

Heat

Jul 18, 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #25 of 29 (6783 views)
Shortcut

My Mojo made in 1998 is still a beast, it has around 450 jumps total. I love that canopy!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media