Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Carl Boenish's Cameras
Premier Sponsor:

TheHungarian

Jun 15, 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #1 of 5 (867 views)
Shortcut
Carl Boenish's Cameras Can't Post

Howdy everyone, I'm trying to figure out what exactly Carl was using to film his jumps. Specifically his jumps off El Cap in 1978. I'd also like to know if he switched cameras later on in his BASE career.

I've narrowed it down to 16mm... but that's about as far as I could get. I'm looking for specific camera models and brands.

Thank you!Smile

RickHarrison

Jun 16, 2019, 12:30 PM
Post #2 of 5 (784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheHungarian] Carl Boenish's Cameras [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello. My name is Rick Harrison and I inherited the BASE numbers a few years after Carl died and Jean was too busy to keep them up while trying to finish her teaching degree and working. I jumped with Carl in 83 from a cliff in Arizona and he filmed us several times at Bridge Day 83 and in Texas for our train jumps. By 83 he had bought 16mm cameras called 1VNs. They could shoot around 155 frames a second which is 6 times slow motion. After he died in 84, Jean sold them later to Tom Sanders. They are bulky and make a high pitched whrrrr in your helmet but take great film. Before that, like in 78 El Cap he was probably using N9 16mm cameras but I'm not sure. When I first started BASE jumping in Jan. 82, Phil Smith,(BASE 1), a friend of mine who jumped with Carl before I did, was using N9s when we did camera jumps together and as far as I know it was the camera of choice up till then for action stuff as it was tough as hell with a metal case and at times it was used for wing mounted action on old fighter planes to track the tracer bullets coming from the plane. They would only shoot about 64 frames per second as I recall. Tom Sanders would be the best authority you could ask for more info and to see if I was right about Carl using the N9s which used to be available as war surplus.

TheHungarian

Jun 16, 2019, 7:13 PM
Post #3 of 5 (728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RickHarrison] Carl Boenish's Cameras [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Thank you for that! Thats exactly what I needed to know! How would I go about contacting Tom Sanders? Could you reach out to him for me, or give me his info?

Or, if you know where to get a hold of these cameras, give me a shout. Bottom line is, I need to get my hands on these cameras. From the research I've done, you can't really buy them anywhere.

I've reached out to a gentleman that seems to own a few, I'm hoping he'll let me use one to film a few jumps. but only time will tell if that request is going to be successful.

RickHarrison

Jun 17, 2019, 7:29 AM
Post #4 of 5 (667 views)
Shortcut

Tom is on Facebook which is the only way I know how to reach him. I've met him a few times years ago but I think he lives in California but not sure. Good luck.

TomAiello

Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 AM
Post #5 of 5 (629 views)
Shortcut

Tom has a web site: http://tomsandersaerialfocus.com.

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media