Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Static line questions
Premier Sponsor:

Gnarflow

Jun 12, 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3105 views)
Shortcut
Static line questions Can't Post

1) What type of webbing do you use to tie off to for static lines? I was using 550 paracord but had an incident where the sheath of the cord broke when a friend jumped. The core held but I dont trust paracord after that. Recently I've been using 1 inch webbing from REI but I'm trying to see what everyone else uses, where they get it, and how much it costs in bulk.
2) I have torn a couple pilot chutes on exits with rough edges. I put the pilot chute between my legs, dangling off the cliff edge when I jump most of the time. Sometimes I hold the pilot chute off to the side and let go of it while I exit. Is there a way to help protect pilot chutes from being damaged by cliff edges?
Thank you!

Meat.Missile

Jun 12, 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gnarflow] Static line questions [In reply to] Can't Post

I use the apex take away static line system. It works amazingly. You could make something similar if you have the sewing abilities.

Gnarflow

Jun 12, 2019, 12:42 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Meat.Missile] Static line questions [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm talking about the material you would tie your take away system into.

(This post was edited by Gnarflow on Jun 12, 2019, 12:43 PM)

roostnureye

Jun 12, 2019, 3:37 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3056 views)
Shortcut

I don't use a takeaway, I use my bridle, knotted half way with a hard link. 2 loops of static line one longer than the other. Both on the middle of the bridle attached to hardlink.. I'll keep the pilot chute in my hand and throw it just like im going handheld. That way if there's a static line failure at least I have a pilot chute above me, also it keeps your PC from hanging out near the object.

RockyShark6

Jun 12, 2019, 3:38 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Ehm, the take away system is the thing you tie around the anchor...?
Make it of something like 900 lb Dacron.
http://www.watchthybridle.com/2012/01/cwy-staticline/

As for the pc I always jump with it in my hand since I watched a guy snag it with hes foot

c_dog

Jun 12, 2019, 11:49 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2999 views)
Shortcut

I've used rope of various kinds, 1" webbing, heavy dacron, ratchet straps, slings. These are nice to use when building a tie in and I would trust the material to last at least a couple of months.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Runners-Assorted-Colors/dp/B019NUM27G?th=1&psc=1

I think the kind of material used depends on whether you're going to be jumping the object frequently and want the anchor to last for a long period of time; the conditions at the exit - roughness of the edge (rock, cement, brick, etc.); weather - will UV or moisture degrade the tie in point over days, weeks or months? Generally, I want the material to be significantly stronger than the break cord; I want it to handle the shock load without breaking or heavily fraying for at least a few jumps if its bent over the edge. Also, the tie in material shouldn't be abrasive or have sharp edges - i fear abrasive materials "sawing" or biting into the break cord and possibly causing the break cord to fail prematurely. When accessing an object with a previously used tie in point, I always carry a length of 900lb dacron (20' or so) to ensure that I can recreate a suitable tie in if the previous one is discovered unusable. This is what I would consider a temporary tie in, the next time at this object, I would bring a more suitable long term material to create the tie in point. The length of dacron I carry is folded tight and wrapped with a rubber band - its small and is part of my gear that I carry in my pocket.
I sometimes use a take away setup - I make my own, similar to Apex, but with some minor tweaks. I most often just tie into the material with break cord. I've found that a take away setup is prone to snagging on the end loop at the tie in point, and after losing a few take aways, tying in directly with break cord has proven to be better.
For PC preservation, I use many techniques. Sometimes it dangles between my legs, sometimes it dangles to one side of me (if there is a cross wind or possibility of crosswind. If dangled between my legs, I use a super wide stance and am paranoid about bridle entanglement with my feet. Sometimes is reassuring to visually verify what the bridle and PC are doing just before exiting, and a peek between the legs can tell me that everything is OK. I think what you do with the PC/bridle on a static line jump doesn't have a cookie cutter answer - its more about PC management that will change with the object, tie in location, wind conditions, etc. I used to throw the PC, but found that it sometimes snags and its behavior is largely unpredictable after throwing. A superior way is to hold on to the apex of the PC with enough bridle s folded inside to allow proper bridle management at the exit and still allowing movement. Jump, with the PC out to my side at arms length, the apex pinched in the tips of my fingers, and allow the pc to be pulled from my fingers as I fall. A slight (or heavy) headwind might blow the PC back over the edge if throwing or holding, so sometimes dangling is the better option. My go to is dangling, and then modifying the technique if wind or exit conditions warrant it. I prefer to see what the bridle is doing and dangling it allows that, but this cannot always be done.

(This post was edited by c_dog on Jun 13, 2019, 12:14 AM)

jools

Jun 13, 2019, 2:37 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [c_dog] Static line questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Fuck me people like to overthink and over complicate things when it comes to SL.
Anything that has a higher breaking strain than your break cord will do. Nip to the local DIY shop and buy a spool of whatever takes your fancy. If you are that worried go buy 100m of anchor chain or you could always just get some polypropylene rope that you find on every building site.

JesseP

Jun 13, 2019, 2:45 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jools] Static line questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Four wraps of electrical tape always worked fine as low as 50m when I was a boy.

John_Scher

Jun 13, 2019, 3:42 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jools] Static line questions [In reply to] Can't Post

jools wrote:
Fuck me people like to overthink and over complicate things when it comes to SL.

Dont beat about the bush! Say what you mean!

(LoL)

Gnarflow

Jun 13, 2019, 7:24 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [c_dog] Static line questions [In reply to] Can't Post

This is perfect! Thank you dude!!

TomAiello

Jun 13, 2019, 3:08 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Use anything that doesn't scream "look at me, I'm parachuting!"

So random construction type rope is great. Paracord, maybe, since it's so common, but never use something like dacron or spectra. I've used climbing runners before, but you can end up abandoning them and I'd rather use something more disposable. Plus "look at me, I'm rappelling" isn't actually much better than "look at me, I'm parachuting" from the point of view of a security guard.

TomAiello

Jun 13, 2019, 3:11 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roostnureye] Static line questions [In reply to] Can't Post

roostnureye wrote:
I don't use a takeaway, I use my bridle, knotted half way with a hard link. 2 loops of static line one longer than the other. Both on the middle of the bridle attached to hardlink.

That is a take away. It's just the simplest possible construction of a take away system.

I've done lots of jumps on that kind of system. The only real downside is bridle wear--I ended up replacing several bridles when I was using it a bunch.

I'm a fan of KISS in static lines. If you're willing to accept the bridle wear, the simple system described by roostnureye is really all you need.

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media