Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying...
Premier Sponsor:

John_Scher

May 17, 2019, 2:38 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2892 views)
Shortcut
My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying... Can't Post

Hi Antoine,

I've been searching everywhere to try to find someone who owns or has experience on a Trango3 then I saw you mention this in another thread:

My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying, just a bit less flare but not too much thanks to the ZP nose.

I've got a brand new Trango3 but I've not got round to jumping it because of injuries. I'm all but healed now but I was thinking the Trango3 is perhaps old technology and I should swap it out for a VisionWS.

Now that I've seen your comments I'm reconsidering and would really appreciate you telling me what you think of it.

Also if anyone else has got or flown a Trango3 perhaps you can also comment.

AntoineLaporte

May 17, 2019, 3:11 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I really like my Trango 3.
More than old technology I would say that it is not a vented canopy.
It does it's job, it does it well, but does not expect to have the same performances as a modern vented canopy like the Vision WS.

First thing to do is to remove the fucking stripes on the slider.
Also the vectran lines have to be changes when they get old, I replace them with microlines and still using them after 500umps, I just had to change the breakes lines after 350 jumps on this new lineset.

BTW I put vents on my Trango after 700 jumps when opening stated to be slower than before. Same kind of vents as the Outlaw because they are very simple to make.

If you got any more questions let me know

John_Scher

May 17, 2019, 3:53 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying... [In reply to] Can't Post

Antoine,

I bought my Trango3 specifically for tracking jumps.

Whenever I've jumped at Brento I've always needed a canopy with good glide to get me back to the LZ. (I know I should open higher)

What is the glide like on the Trango3 ?

(This post was edited by John_Scher on May 17, 2019, 6:53 AM)

AntoineLaporte

May 17, 2019, 4:11 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the glide is not at the same level as the latest canopies, but it is good enough for me.

I forgot to talk about the break settings, I had to put my break setting 15cm higher than the original one to have a very low speed after opening.

John_Scher

May 17, 2019, 4:21 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Antoine

TomAiello

May 17, 2019, 7:00 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2832 views)
Shortcut

Do you know if the Vision WS has a slat system?

If no one knows, I'll try to email Atair and ask later today. But I figured it might be faster to just ask here.

John_Scher

May 17, 2019, 11:01 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying... [In reply to] Can't Post

The attached order form mentions Slats

Some months ago Andrej advised...

The VisionWS is replacing the Peak, it has the same characteristics, but better pressurization on openings (it has mini vents on 3 middle cells, positioned in the middle of the canopy between B and C line), a bit more agile on toggles, heading performance is even better. Packing volume is slightly smaller as well, using spectra lines and lighter support tapes. All lines are spectra and even brake lines, made cascaded so that there is no "knot". There is a smaller tail pocket due to less line volume, smaller grommets on slider etc.
VisionWS is a slider up BASE canopy

(This post was edited by John_Scher on May 17, 2019, 11:08 AM)
Attachments: VisionWS.pdf (231 KB)

TomAiello

May 17, 2019, 11:29 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2774 views)
Shortcut

That's pretty interesting.

Does anyone have a run down on the difference between the Vision and VisionWS?

I'm guessing dacron lines on the Vision, WS is PN-9 only, venting configuration is different.

Does the VisionWS have the extra (inboard) stabilizers? I'd guess yes?

What's the standard slider? Large hole "slow"? Small hole? Something else?

I'll be curious to see what the cascaded brake line set up is about. I haven't really enjoyed the Outlaw/Hayduke tree/cascade control line set up, and I'll be curious if Atair has just copied it, or done something different.

Maybe I just need to get one in hand and figure it out for myself.

I really enjoyed the standard Vision, but mine was PN-9 and had spectra lines (it was slider up only), so it sounds like maybe I was already part way to the WS version anyway.

skow

May 22, 2019, 5:58 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2579 views)
Shortcut

So are you using big mesh or small mesh slider?

I have a slow slider (big mesh with 2 stripes).

I found that the opening are very weird - very hard at the beginning and slow at the end.
I tried to use a custom slider (big mesh with 3 stripes) - but didn't slow the first part and caused line twists in the later part of the opening.

have you experiences something similar?

TomAiello

May 22, 2019, 1:30 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skow] My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying... [In reply to] Can't Post

On canopies with spectra lines, I've had (by far) the most consistent openings with fine mesh sliders. If I want a slower opening than the large hole mesh, I always try fine mesh (before the mesh+stripes of tape).

Have you tried fine mesh?

skow

May 22, 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is going to be my next step. I just have to shuffle the sliders a bit around my canopies.

Do you, Tom, have experience how much slow slider (big mesh with stripes) is slower than the fine mesh?

TomAiello

May 23, 2019, 10:12 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skow] My Trango 3 with 800+ jumps is still flying... [In reply to] Can't Post

skow wrote:
That is going to be my next step. I just have to shuffle the sliders a bit around my canopies.

Do you, Tom, have experience how much slow slider (big mesh with stripes) is slower than the fine mesh?

My feeling was that it wasn't slower. It seems to me that it "distributes" the opening differently. Fine mesh gives me a consistent feeling opening, where the "slow slider" seems to give me an opening that feels "harder" or maybe "faster" initially, but then slows down a lot more at the end (just before the canopy starts flying).

If you're pulling low, the "slow slider" might be safer because it gives you more canopy earlier in the sequence, but I personally like the feel of the fine mesh better. And, since I'm a soft old guy who pulls high, I'm willing to trade that "consistent" feeling for the more "staged" feeling of the slow slider.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not. It's kind of difficult to put into words.

Note that this is all on canopies with spectra lines--my experience with dacron lined canopies varies a bit (the fine mesh slider on the dacron lines can start to feel too slow for my taste).

(This post was edited by TomAiello on May 23, 2019, 10:13 AM)

skow

May 23, 2019, 10:16 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2425 views)
Shortcut

TomAiello wrote:
where the "slow slider" seems to give me an opening that feels "harder" or maybe "faster" initially, but then slows down a lot more at the end (just before the canopy starts flying).

Seems exactly like the problem I'm trying to get away from!

A follow-up question. I have a fine mesh slider for 305 Troll and it's slightly bigger then the slow one I have in Trango.

Will there be a big difference? I think it's about an inch wider (span-wise) and maybe half an inch longer (chord-wise)

(This post was edited by skow on May 23, 2019, 10:20 AM)

TomAiello

May 23, 2019, 11:52 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2398 views)
Shortcut

I'd email Atair directly and ask them that question.

Sliders are a component of the canopy, so any time you swap out a slider to something that isn't the exact slider for your canopy, you are essentially a test jumper.

AntoineLaporte

May 28, 2019, 12:53 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2157 views)
Shortcut

I remove the stripes on my "slow slider" and now using on big mesh slider on it.
My feeling is that the "slow slider" is not doing consistant openings, I've seen some very slow openings combined with OSP, and same on my Trango. Since I've removed the stripes my opening are consistant.

skow

May 28, 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Thanks!

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media