Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Bad Seed pin lock?
Premier Sponsor:

Keithor

Mar 13, 2019, 9:46 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3619 views)
Shortcut
Bad Seed pin lock? Can't Post

So I tried searching the site, google and various other ways to see what info I could find and have not been able to get much info. I have contacted Bad Seed as well after I purchased a container and received and email stating they would call me to discuss the issue and many months later and a few attempts to contact them I have yet to hear.

If someone can direct me to a previous thread on the matter I will delete this one.

After I purchased the container a few people expressed concern regarding their containers and "remembering something about pin locks". I tried to find what info I could but really have not found very much, basically nothing at all. I heard that it was more of an issue if doing ariels and then one person mentioned a design change of the closing flaps from tapered to flat and that the flat design could cause the bridle to hesitate to catch causing longer than intended delays.

I had also heard from several people that they loved Bad Seed gear and that there was no issue.

I am not sure if the situation is similar to the Argus one where it wasn't the companies fault, but they just happened to be the first and therefore took all the blame but I would like to know a bit of concrete info before I decide to jump the container and or how to do it. If its cool for flat and stable exits only I will use it for what it is good for, if its not problematic at all then cool I won't think about it again.

Thanks for the help.

Edited to include: I forgot to add that I need new risers for it as the ones that came with the container are not in my opinion air worthy (no fault of Bad Seed, just happens with use I suppose) and I don't want to spend any more $ on it if I wont be jumping it.

(This post was edited by Keithor on Mar 13, 2019, 9:48 AM)

TomAiello

Mar 13, 2019, 11:16 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Keithor] Bad Seed pin lock? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Bad Seed rigs are more (or less) susceptible to pin lock than rigs from any other manufacturer.

There was one highly publicized case several years ago where a jumper actually gave a television interview from a hospital bed and blamed his (Bad Seed) rig for his accident, claiming it had experienced a pin lock.

I reviewed the video from that incident extensively, with zoom, still frames and slow motion, and my conclusion is that the jumpers off axis aerial and "swimmy" arm motion resulting in a bridle entangled with an arm, and that it was this entanglement (not any kind of pin lock) that resulted in the subsequent accident. I think the still frames got posted on this forum, if you search for them.

MrAW

Mar 13, 2019, 1:14 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3564 views)
Shortcut

Here is something about pin locks in general:

http://www.watchthybridle.com/2013/10/pinlocks/

jerolim

Mar 14, 2019, 3:35 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrAW] Bad Seed pin lock? [In reply to] Can't Post

MrAW wrote:
Here is something about pin locks in general:

http://www.watchthybridle.com/2013/10/pinlocks/

nah this one : http://www.watchthybridle.com/...pin-locks-in-detail/

Keithor

Mar 19, 2019, 12:18 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the info. I figured it wasn't really a manufacturer specific problem, and was also aware it can really happen in any rig. I just wanted to make sure in case there was in fact a problem that was specific to them.

MrAW

Mar 19, 2019, 1:32 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3167 views)
Shortcut

If your container locks shut during use let us know.

FatGoat

Sep 29, 2019, 9:31 PM
Post #7 of 8 (391 views)
Shortcut

I've got a Bad Seed container and I love it. No one's been able to demonstrate how it could lock; and I haven't figured out a way I could create a pin lock with it either.

John_Scher

Sep 30, 2019, 12:42 PM
Post #8 of 8 (319 views)
Shortcut

".....pin lock.....it can really happen in any rig'

Nope, never had it even once on my velcro rig.

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media