Current helmet options
Premier Sponsor:

MrAW

Feb 9, 2019, 8:27 PM
Post #1 of 21 (1739 views)
Shortcut
Current helmet options Can't Post

Any recommendations for helmets?
I have a full face 661 helmet for slider-down but use a Cookie Rok for terminal and want to upgrade it to something with more protection.

Considering a POC snow helmet or Icaro paragliding helmet, thoughts? Which models are people using?
Anyone think the new impact rated Cookie M3 is worth considering? I'd prefer something with semi-open ear covers though.

Dadsy

Feb 9, 2019, 11:23 PM
Post #2 of 21 (1716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrAW] Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

https://triple8.com/product/the-t8-racer/

been running this for years, it is impact rated, lens off for slider down stuff, I use a bit of velcro to stop the visor coming up when you head flicks back on opening for slider up stuff

(This post was edited by Dadsy on Feb 9, 2019, 11:25 PM)

AntoineLaporte

Feb 10, 2019, 1:45 AM
Post #3 of 21 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Here are some full face certified helmet, I insist on the certified because I think we should all use something that is a protection for the brain and not just against scratches like the Cookie G3.
So I'm always looking that the helmet is certified for skate/bike/snow.

I got this one and I'm very happy about it:
http://www.predatorhelmets.com/dh6-x/
The normal DH6 is not suitable for basejump, the visor is not steady enough

other option could be:
https://www.ridetsg.com/...ets/skate/#.filter_2

There is a new rating for skydiving helmets but I don't know what it is and how different it is from the bike/skate/snow ones.
with this rating you got for example:
- Cookie M3 rated
- Tonfly ICE
- Tonfly TFX

almosupremecommander

Feb 10, 2019, 3:47 AM
Post #4 of 21 (1675 views)
Shortcut

I think all skydiving helmets are shit
I got an ozone nutshell paragliding helmet I’m very happy with. its got a removable chin guard for slider down or terminal.
There’s many good helmets out there aviation bicycle snowboard but you gotta choose something with expanding foam in it if it’s going to be any good for protection not just camera mount.
Is Zak tessier on this forum? Maybe he could tell us something on this subject

TomAiello

Feb 10, 2019, 8:32 AM
Post #5 of 21 (1634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [almosupremecommander] Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

almosupremecommander wrote:
I got an ozone nutshell paragliding helmet I’m very happy with. its got a removable chin guard for slider down or terminal.

Does it have a visor for wind? My paragliding helmet has a visor that doesn't lock down, so it has to be removed for terminal BASE.

(This post was edited by TomAiello on Feb 11, 2019, 10:39 AM)

Colm

Feb 11, 2019, 9:10 AM
Post #6 of 21 (1475 views)
Shortcut

MrAW wrote:
Considering a POC snow helmet or Icaro paragliding helmet, thoughts?

I have a POC Fornix and the Icaro Cut3, I like them both. I use the Cut3 for solid objects for face protection. I crashed my POC into a tree skiing last season, it worked really well and if you smash it within a year of purchase the company will replace it for free or give you a discount or something.

exrigger

Feb 11, 2019, 10:35 AM
Post #7 of 21 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

AntoineLaporte wrote:
"I insist on the certified because I think we should all use something that is a protection for the brain and not just against scratches like the Cookie G3."

Once PEOPLE start insisting we all should have certified helmets, we will all HAVE to wear certified helmets.

I dont see why I should HAVE to do what you think!

But it's only a matter of time now...

AntoineLaporte

Feb 11, 2019, 11:03 AM
Post #8 of 21 (1437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exrigger] Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that we are still on the basejumper forum which is a sport with absolutly no rules anywhere...

Do what you want, english is not my birth langage but I think "should" is still not "have to".

Dadsy

Feb 11, 2019, 5:54 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exrigger] Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

who is going to make you wear a certified helmet?

almosupremecommander

Feb 12, 2019, 6:43 AM
Post #10 of 21 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

No there isn’t any visor, I remove the chin guard for terminal and use it open face with some cool shades or just go without eye cover as I’m not going to proxy fly I don’t need to see in free fall that seriously. I used to have the Charlie insider helmet and they did a really cool version with a visor but I don’t think it’s still in production.

TomAiello

Feb 12, 2019, 6:53 AM
Post #11 of 21 (1316 views)
Shortcut

I used to have the Charlie insider helmet and they did a really cool version with a visor but I don’t think it’s still in production.

I have a Charlie Insider. On mine, the visor doesn't lock down.

nickgreen

Feb 13, 2019, 2:29 AM
Post #12 of 21 (1248 views)
Shortcut

Mate you should check out the Ruroc range of skiing helmets, they’re super cool and offer great protection, I have a few now.

almosupremecommander

Feb 13, 2019, 3:16 AM
Post #13 of 21 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom. I just checked it out online we’re talking about the charly “no limit” version of the insider. it’s a whopping £190 and like you said no lock on the visor, did you try duct tape?

I think to clarify for the padawan learners reading this there’s a clear difference between the needs of slider down and terminal , I see too many jumpers with one open faced helmet for everything. if you’re sensible you’ll get full face chin guard/ protection for the inevitable off heading on slider down and possible wall strike, whereas for where you will have good separation from objects smaller and streamlined is the ticket.
With wingsuit especially if you cut your head off completely the aircraft will fly soooo much further. 🤣

Dadsy

Feb 13, 2019, 4:25 AM
Post #14 of 21 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickgreen] Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

They aren't cool, they look ridiculous
I'm not sure about the protection either, the shell is impact rated but if you have a strike you will end up with a lot of plastic in your face from the ridiculous part of the helmet. I think Smile

nickgreen

Feb 13, 2019, 5:09 AM
Post #15 of 21 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

You think?
So I’m assuming you don’t have one?
I was glad I was wearing mine when I needed it.
No plastic in my face either!
I’d rather have plastic in my face than not much head to have a face to attach to it.
Cool is only a matter of opinion anyway and as my son always tells me I’m not cool I’m not gonna argue with you about that.

Safe jumping Brother

(This post was edited by nickgreen on Feb 13, 2019, 5:11 AM)

almosupremecommander

Feb 13, 2019, 5:28 AM
Post #16 of 21 (1213 views)
Shortcut

‘Cool’ is purely opinion matey
There are plenty of nerds who are cool
And take for example skiing. There are many ‘cool’ people wearing onesies on the slopes but in my humble opinion someone wearing a onesie is a really easy way to spot a complete fucking twat.

Dadsy

Feb 13, 2019, 6:09 AM
Post #17 of 21 (1198 views)
Shortcut

I was in the forest in Norway a few months ago with nearly 100 jumpers, there were dozens of onesie wearers, so I would have to disagree with that assumption

TomAiello

Feb 13, 2019, 6:12 AM
Post #18 of 21 (1195 views)
Shortcut

Tom. I just checked it out online we’re talking about the charly “no limit” version of the insider. it’s a whopping £190 and like you said no lock on the visor, did you try duct tape?

I haven't. I own a whole stable of helmets, so I haven't really explored making that one do double duty. I bought mine secondhand and it cost me a

In reply to:
I think to clarify for the padawan learners reading this there’s a clear difference between the needs of slider down and terminal , I see too many jumpers with one open faced helmet for everything.

I totally agree. For a solid, slider down objects I'm a big believer in a solid full face helmet with maximum protection.

almosupremecommander

Feb 13, 2019, 6:12 AM
Post #19 of 21 (1193 views)
Shortcut

Yes that’s my point entirely

TomAiello

Feb 13, 2019, 6:20 AM
Post #20 of 21 (1190 views)
Shortcut

I'm assuming that "onesie" has some specialized use in the skiing world (I don't ski)? Not that tracking suits are making big inroads in the skiing community?

MrAW

Feb 22, 2019, 4:25 PM
Post #21 of 21 (900 views)
Shortcut
Re: Current helmet options [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks all for the feedback. :)

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?