Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Aku boots
Premier Sponsor:

diver1

Feb 5, 2019, 12:32 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4404 views)
Shortcut
Aku boots Can't Post

I am looking to buy new boots for slider off jumping.

Seeking feedback on Aku boots if anyone has used them?

https://www.aku.it/en

Cheers!

TomAiello

Feb 5, 2019, 6:00 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diver1] Aku boots [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never heard of them before, but now I'm curious. If you do get some, post a review.

I've only had the Crispi and Hanwag boots as dedicated SD boots.

msk

Feb 5, 2019, 3:56 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4261 views)
Shortcut

These AKU boots look hot ez, but...

Unfortunately -- in my opinion, they are not suited for BASE.

Main reason are these lace hooks:

https://www.aku.it/...ng/serai-gtx_en.html

I am sure many people can relate to this, especially early in the game, it happened to me too -- pulling a bit head low, I felt the lines of a deploying parachute brush against my legs and feet. Just slightly. But if I had exposed lace hooks on my boots, there would have been risk of catching a line... which could have then lead to all sort of bad things happen.

There is a video out there (don't have time to look for it, but it should be easy-ish to find) where a dude jumps what looks like Moab, has a cliff strike and as he fights to get off the face, he catches bunch of lines with lace hooks on his boot. This initiates a violent turn and he miraculously lands back-first into a tiny "balcony" on the face. Unharmed (if I remember correctly), but just by sheer luck.

The point is -- it does happen. Lines do get caught by lace hooks.

For this reason, established boot makers, who make shoes for para sports, do not use lace hooks. For example:

https://www.hanwag.com/...&gid=1&pid=1

(This post was edited by msk on Feb 5, 2019, 4:03 PM)

Zebu

Feb 5, 2019, 4:26 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msk] Aku boots [In reply to] Can't Post

You could try e-mailing them about the hooks. They may be interested in making a pair without the hooks and push them to the paragliding, BASE, etc. community

diver1

Feb 5, 2019, 4:38 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Advice well received. Has anyone used the Aku spider boots? A JTAC para mate put me onto them. He is a non-jumper, so I'd be keen to hear from any jumpers who know the brand or have some personal or even anecdotal info on them. Thanks. Sky GTX Hanwags I have tried to order from Australia through a dealer but had difficulties as is very expensive to get them shipped here. The guy only does limited batch orders a year. So i have been rolling with salomons. With hooks i double cover up every single jump.

TomAiello

Feb 5, 2019, 4:50 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4243 views)
Shortcut

I know of shops in both Twin Falls and Riva del Garda that can replace the hooks with eyes (or anything else you want) for less than $20. You're probably better off getting boots that work for your feet, and then replacing the hooks. That's a lot easier than suffering through a poorly fitting boot.

Dadsy

Feb 5, 2019, 5:14 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4239 views)
Shortcut

I have a US forwarding address if you want to go with the Hanwags, you are welcome to use it.

wasatchrider

Feb 5, 2019, 5:37 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4226 views)
Shortcut

msk wrote:
These AKU boots look hot ez, but...

Unfortunately -- in my opinion, they are not suited for BASE.

Main reason are these lace hooks:

https://www.aku.it/...ng/serai-gtx_en.html

[image]https://www.aku.it/k-content/aku/themes/aku/html/imagebank/e-shop/photogallery-18940/1.png[/image]

I am sure many people can relate to this, especially early in the game, it happened to me too -- pulling a bit head low, I felt the lines of a deploying parachute brush against my legs and feet. Just slightly. But if I had exposed lace hooks on my boots, there would have been risk of catching a line... which could have then lead to all sort of bad things happen.

There is a video out there (don't have time to look for it, but it should be easy-ish to find) where a dude jumps what looks like Moab, has a cliff strike and as he fights to get off the face, he catches bunch of lines with lace hooks on his boot. This initiates a violent turn and he miraculously lands back-first into a tiny "balcony" on the face. Unharmed (if I remember correctly), but just by sheer luck.

The point is -- it does happen. Lines do get caught by lace hooks.

For this reason, established boot makers, who make shoes for para sports, do not use lace hooks. For example:

https://www.hanwag.com/...&gid=1&pid=1

[image]https://media.hanwag.com/zoom/4047761236473_SS18_a_sky_gtx_23.jpg[/image]

they are suited for base if the laces are in your booties

TomAiello

Feb 5, 2019, 8:08 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wasatchrider] Aku boots [In reply to] Can't Post

That made me laugh.

And yes, except the guy who started the thread said he was looking for a set of boots just for slider down jumping.

BigfcknG

Feb 6, 2019, 1:16 AM
Post #10 of 16 (4162 views)
Shortcut

Have you considered 510 MTB shoes/boots? I'm a fellow Aussie, know all about shitty landing areas and that boots like that weigh a tonne. I run the MTB low shoes and they are the shit. Ample protection for late flares onto boulders. I know one person who copped a hairline fracture to his tibia with boots like that. The sole is usually thick, but very firm. In my opinion, it simply transferred the shock to his leg. I've pounded in before and only sustained a badly bruised heel. Food for thought.

Dadsy

Feb 6, 2019, 1:19 AM
Post #11 of 16 (4160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigfcknG] Aku boots [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you recommend to use when landing through a closed window?

BigfcknG

Feb 6, 2019, 1:24 AM
Post #12 of 16 (4157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Aku boots [In reply to] Can't Post

The same as mentioned. Also good for full drive into granite.

Dadsy

Feb 6, 2019, 1:25 AM
Post #13 of 16 (4155 views)
Shortcut

good to know Smile

diver1

Feb 6, 2019, 9:11 AM
Post #14 of 16 (4093 views)
Shortcut

Yes I had a pair once, were great. I appreciate all the tips from everyone. Just at the point of new boots and keen to try something in the Aku range. I'll buy some and post something about them here

msk

Feb 6, 2019, 3:23 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4035 views)
Shortcut

If your mind is already made up and you are getting them anyway, just tape over the lace hooks when you jump. Works like a treat.

diver1

Mar 11, 2019, 2:58 AM
Post #16 of 16 (3434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Aku boots [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.platatac.com/...eal-boots-11563.html

Just received in the mail today.

*I have no affiliation with AKU and paid for these boots myself*

Initial impressions:

Look and feel is high quality.
The fit is snug and comfortable. Grip feels good. They feel a little narrow as i have wide feet. Walking around in them feels great and they feel natural running. These boots breathe well. The ankle bones on the sides are protected. The cut out at rear allows for foot tilt. No hooks! :) I paid $279 Australian dollars. More to follow after i jump them this week.

(This post was edited by diver1 on Mar 12, 2019, 4:31 AM)
Attachments: SmartSelect_20190311-172538_WhatsApp.jpg (288 KB)
  SmartSelect_20190311-172555_WhatsApp.jpg (341 KB)
  SmartSelect_20190311-172611_WhatsApp.jpg (406 KB)
  SmartSelect_20190311-172629_WhatsApp.jpg (342 KB)

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media