Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Steep approaches: how steep?
Premier Sponsor:

Colm

Jan 21, 2019, 3:03 PM
Post #1 of 8 (919 views)
Shortcut
Steep approaches: how steep? Can't Post

When you do a typical "steep" approach at your favorite tight LZ, what angle do you think you're coming in at in the final phase? 90° (straight down), 45°, 15°, etc?

I'm just curious what people think of when they think of a "steep approach."

I'm not talking about accuracy swooping the boulder field here.

base570

Jan 23, 2019, 10:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Steep approaches: how steep? [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by base570 on Jan 23, 2019, 10:06 PM)

TomAiello

Jan 24, 2019, 4:56 AM
Post #3 of 8 (708 views)
Shortcut

In zero wind?

TomAiello

Jan 24, 2019, 10:26 AM
Post #4 of 8 (662 views)
Shortcut

I bet we could actually measure that by just sitting in the LZ at the bridge on a zero wind day and recruiting some people to do an accuracy load (or even just an "approach as steep as you can" load, either flaring from deep brakes or letting up to flare).

John_Scher

Jan 26, 2019, 7:11 AM
Post #5 of 8 (474 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I'm just curious what people think of when they think of a "steep approach."

I asked a similar question in a previous thread and got some interesting answers and links to some videos. I didn't really get to see any truly vertical Base landings but I did see in several videos what I term vertical landings in skydiving’s “Accuracy” discipline. Several respondents commented that they actually do land vertically in deep brakes and also there were some good contributions to the subject overall.

In that thread I was seeking info on wing loading and canopy technology to achieve truly vertical landings especially in nil wind conditions which may not be what you’re seeking at all…

(This post was edited by John_Scher on Jan 26, 2019, 9:39 AM)

Colm

Jan 26, 2019, 2:58 PM
Post #6 of 8 (439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Steep approaches: how steep? [In reply to] Can't Post

TomAiello wrote:
In zero wind?
Yes.

Colm

Jan 26, 2019, 3:21 PM
Post #7 of 8 (438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] Steep approaches: how steep? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you should link the thread here! I'm not sure which one you are specifically referring to.

I've yet to take a flysight to see what my actual (no wind) approach angle usually is in terms of a number, but I can roughly guess. The next question to ask is, "steeper than what angle is your canopy coming in at a stall?"

No one has really ventured an estimate besides base570, so I'll have a go:

I can't remember the last time I intentionally sank it in steeply. I generally try to avoid objects where that is mandatory. If I screw up my pattern and need to, though, I've landed probably as steep as 45-60° even though it feels like 90°. I don't know what my stalled approach angle is, but I could figure it out if I knew the stall AOA and the trim angle. I'd guess anything steeper than 25-35° is a stalled approach.

Everyone always talks about the shitty LZs in Australia, so I especially would love to hear from those folks. Are steep approaches necessary at some of these objects, or can you generally land it from full flight approaches relying on accurate pattern turns and proper wind assesment?

John_Scher

Jan 27, 2019, 5:04 AM
Post #8 of 8 (372 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Yes, you should link the thread here! I'm not sure which one you are specifically referring to.

http://www.basejumper.com/...post=2996422#2996422

edit to make link clickable ~TA

(This post was edited by TomAiello on Jan 27, 2019, 10:48 AM)

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media