Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Cancer & Antennas
Premier Sponsor:

dride

Jan 15, 2019, 1:12 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Cancer & Antennas Can't Post

This post is not about "does climbing/jumping A's cause cancer". There are plenty of old threads out there of people asking/talking about the dangers. I'm curious if anyone on here (or know of other jumpers not on here) who have been diagnosed with cancer. I would love to hear your story. PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

I jumped from early to mid 2000s, retired in 2007. Definitely did my fair share of A's. I read about and heard of all the "dangers" of being around any type of A but as we all know when we're young we are invincible...."that won't happen to me type shit." Fast forward to last summer and I was diagnosed with stage 2C testicular cancer. Still battling and not out of the woods yet Unsure. Been healthy, active, athletic, and had "good cancer genes" (meaning ZERO long term family history of any type) my entire life.

I can't help but wonder if all those clipping in with a carabiner on the ladder to rest, gear ups, tying offs, high fives & fist pumps at exit, hanging on the top railing with left hand with PC folded neatly in the right while taking that last deep breath to calm the nerves, spending an extra 30 secs on top to enjoy the sunrises/sunsets, etc, etc had anything to do with it???? If not, that's my excuse and I'm stickin' with it Wink

Again, I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a technical discussion on AM vs FM, RF, exposure times, blah blah blah. That's all been hashed out before. Just wanting to hear from jumpers (both male and female) who may have gone through/going through the same as me.

Here's to safe cancer-free jumping!!
Cheers-

Heat

Jan 15, 2019, 3:08 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dride] Cancer & Antennas [In reply to] Can't Post

Sad to hear about your condition. I hope you make a full recovery and will be able to pursue a healthy and active life yet again!

dride wrote:
I can't help but wonder if all those clipping in with a carabiner on the ladder to rest, gear ups, tying offs, high fives & fist pumps at exit, hanging on the top railing with left hand with PC folded neatly in the right while taking that last deep breath to calm the nerves, spending an extra 30 secs on top to enjoy the sunrises/sunsets, etc, etc had anything to do with it?

If this is the case, was it worth it, to you? Can you even answer that question?

I've been pondering this question a lot after a friend of mine went in last summer on a jump. I'm not really searching for an answer and personally I'm not done jumping (I've jumped since, planning to jump more). I just like reflecting on this stuff. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.Smile

baselaw

Jan 16, 2019, 8:50 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1155 views)
Shortcut

dride wrote:
This post is not about "does climbing/jumping A's cause cancer". There are plenty of old threads out there of people asking/talking about the dangers. I'm curious if anyone on here (or know of other jumpers not on here) who have been diagnosed with cancer. I would love to hear your story. PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

I jumped from early to mid 2000s, retired in 2007. Definitely did my fair share of A's. I read about and heard of all the "dangers" of being around any type of A but as we all know when we're young we are invincible...."that won't happen to me type shit." Fast forward to last summer and I was diagnosed with stage 2C testicular cancer. Still battling and not out of the woods yet Unsure. Been healthy, active, athletic, and had "good cancer genes" (meaning ZERO long term family history of any type) my entire life.

I can't help but wonder if all those clipping in with a carabiner on the ladder to rest, gear ups, tying offs, high fives & fist pumps at exit, hanging on the top railing with left hand with PC folded neatly in the right while taking that last deep breath to calm the nerves, spending an extra 30 secs on top to enjoy the sunrises/sunsets, etc, etc had anything to do with it???? If not, that's my excuse and I'm stickin' with it Wink

Again, I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a technical discussion on AM vs FM, RF, exposure times, blah blah blah. That's all been hashed out before. Just wanting to hear from jumpers (both male and female) who may have gone through/going through the same as me.

Here's to safe cancer-free jumping!!
Cheers-

Good luck with the rest of your fight. I hope you can clear it quickly.

Realistically, I think your cross hairs should be set on a cell phone in your pocket for many of those years. Seems unlikely to me that an A would cause cancer. But I suppose its impossible to know for sure.

dride

Jan 16, 2019, 9:34 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Heat] Cancer & Antennas [In reply to] Can't Post

Heat - sorry to hear about your friend :( It seems as though if folks are in this game long enough they will eventually personally know someone who has gone in (I sure have).

Re: your Q of was it worth it, you're right, it is tough to answer. I would have to say yes it was. As most of us would agree, BASE is an experience like no other. Not just the jumps but the journey as well. Obviously, if we knew for certain A's caused cancer (or other malicious diseases) no one would be jumping them......BUT we don't. Jumpers will continue to play on them with the same attitude as I had (that shit ain't true and, if it is, won't happen to ME). Cancer is such a HUGE unknown even in today's advanced world.

If cancer ends up taking me out, I would not have any regrets with my life choices. I've gotten to experience some pretty cool shit!

zoobrothertom

Jan 16, 2019, 2:27 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1070 views)
Shortcut

"If cancer ends up taking me out, I would not have any regrets with my life choices. I've gotten to experience some pretty cool shit!"

Amen Brother!

(This post was edited by zoobrothertom on Jan 16, 2019, 2:29 PM)

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media