Can you dayblaze in Yosemite now?Cool

TomAiello

Dec 22, 2018, 9:15 AM
Post #2 of 26 (2735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Heat] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

Heat wrote:
Can you dayblaze in Yosemite now?Cool

We did some during a previous government shutdown. Be aware that there are always law enforcement rangers on duty, because law enforcement is considered a "critical service" that is not shut down.

MontBlanc

Dec 22, 2018, 12:13 PM
Post #3 of 26 (2681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

TomAiello wrote:
We did some during a previous government shutdown. Be aware that there are always law enforcement rangers on duty, because law enforcement is considered a "critical service" that is not shut down.
Rangers in a park are "critical service", but Healthcare isn't ... you American are so funny from here CoolCool

Enjoy your shutdown and end of the year fiesta !

hjumper33
Dec 22, 2018, 12:40 PM
Post #4 of 26 (2671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Heat] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

In past years theyíve posted rangers at the entrance and turned people away. There are definitely ways to get in, but thereís also probably a couple feet of snow on top of everything right now as well. There are better national parks for the winter ;)

Colm

Dec 24, 2018, 10:02 PM
Post #5 of 26 (2428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MontBlanc] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

From the orange haired, himself:

(This post was edited by Colm on Dec 29, 2018, 8:10 PM)
Attachments: merry_xmas_assholes.jpg (282 KB)

leebuckner

Dec 25, 2018, 6:54 AM
Post #6 of 26 (2368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Funny pic! Thatís probably what he would tell everyone if he posted on here! I Donít personally care for the guy, but I do like the direction heís taking our country. Hopes he keeps up the good work!! I can only hope he gets elected again in 2020!!! (By the way Iím not trying to get into a political conversation with colm or anyone else, just making a statement) I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Colm

Dec 25, 2018, 2:50 PM
Post #7 of 26 (2282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leebuckner] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

Well said, and I think it's even more important these days than before, to separate two things. One, what you think of a politician as a human being, and two, what you think about the politician's political policies.

It's way more interesting & worthwhile to debate public policies, than it is to debate (because there is no real debate) if it's morally upstanding to be racist and to cheat on your wife while secretly paying off your mistress! Laugh

aRainDogToo

Dec 25, 2018, 11:12 PM
Post #8 of 26 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, simple minds discuss people...

AntoineLaporte

Dec 26, 2018, 1:17 AM
Post #9 of 26 (2176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aRainDogToo] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
simple minds discuss people

I could not trust a guy who is firing more than 60% of the people he choose to work with saying that they are all dumb people on twitter.
Did I just said he likes to talk about people ?

In reply to:
but I do like the direction heís taking our country

Does he know which direction he goes ?

To be back to the original subject I don't understand what is exactly happening:
- there is not enough money so people will not get paid and will have to stay home ?
- could it also happened with the military forces ?
- if not how can they find money for one and not for the other ?

TomAiello

Dec 26, 2018, 6:34 AM
Post #10 of 26 (2125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

AntoineLaporte wrote:
To be back to the original subject I don't understand what is exactly happening:
- there is not enough money so people will not get paid and will have to stay home ?

It's just politics.

When the politicians cannot agree on a budget for the government, they "shut down" instead. Which basically means they give a bunch of federal employees some time off.

They don't give "essential" people time off, though, and I think pretty much the entire military is considered to be "essential".

AntoineLaporte

Dec 26, 2018, 6:51 AM
Post #11 of 26 (2121 views)
Shortcut

By time off you mean "not paid" days off right ?

TomAiello

Dec 26, 2018, 6:52 AM
Post #12 of 26 (2119 views)
Shortcut

AntoineLaporte wrote:

Mostly they get the time off unpaid, and then they get paid for it (although not having to actually work the days) later, once the budget has passed.

AntoineLaporte

Dec 26, 2018, 7:38 AM
Post #13 of 26 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Tom

jakee

Dec 26, 2018, 8:43 AM
Post #14 of 26 (2089 views)
Shortcut

TomAiello wrote:
AntoineLaporte wrote:

Mostly they get the time off unpaid, and then they get paid for it (although not having to actually work the days) later, once the budget has passed.

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and assume that elected lawmakers and their staff never see a delay to their own paychecks Tongue

aRainDogToo

Dec 26, 2018, 10:38 AM
Post #15 of 26 (2054 views)
Shortcut

>I could not trust a guy who...
I rest my case

kcollier

Dec 26, 2018, 3:32 PM
Post #16 of 26 (1989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jakee] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

jakee wrote:

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and assume that elected lawmakers and their staff never see a delay to their own paychecks Tongue

Congress can't stop itself from getting paid and the salaries of those in the House and Senate can't be altered until the start of a new term. 27th amendment.

Colm

Dec 28, 2018, 12:46 AM
Post #17 of 26 (1784 views)
Shortcut

AntoineLaporte wrote:
I could not trust a guy who ...

And then on top of it all, it's a separate matter whether a person has disqualifying character flaws to hold a public office, regardless of how much you like their politics or not. America has been searching for "the bottom" for a long time, we have yet to find it.

In reply to:
In reply to:
but I do like the direction heís taking our country
Does he know which direction he goes ?
That man doesn't care which direction the country goes as long as he can boost his own ego somehow. But "where the country should go," and why the majority of politicians represent a minority of voters in our country, is really the discussion we need. instead news outlets are focused on the kardashians and kanye.

In reply to:

There is not enough money because we are borrowing lots to pay for the national budget.
There is also plenty of money because we can always print more.
Which do you believe? it depends on if the expenditures are for your side or your opponent

The military was already funded by a separate bill so that realm is not affected during this shutdown.

They find money for one thing and not another, because the appropriations bills that are passed in congress, specifically say what things are paid for in each bill. The departments that are shutting down, have not yet had a bill to allow money for them since the last funding bills expired.

base283

Dec 28, 2018, 2:54 AM
Post #18 of 26 (1755 views)
Shortcut

Kill it, Bring it to another forum. Please do not slime this forum with polytics.
Take care,
space

JDS

Dec 28, 2018, 4:18 AM
Post #19 of 26 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base283] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

+1

(This post was edited by JDS on Dec 28, 2018, 4:26 AM)

wasatchrider

Dec 28, 2018, 7:25 AM
Post #20 of 26 (1716 views)
Shortcut

base283 wrote:
Kill it, Bring it to another forum. Please do not slime this forum with polytics.
Take care,
space

seems like a government shutdown post will bring up politics weather it was meant for jumping or not

base283

Dec 28, 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #21 of 26 (1660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wasatchrider] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

The OP and title were about access during the shutdown. Not polytics. If you donīt like it. You can suck an eggnog by a the fireplace while doing christmas thingies. Merry Christmas ;) .
take care,
space

TomAiello

Dec 28, 2018, 11:40 AM
Post #22 of 26 (1654 views)
Shortcut

If you guys want to keep discussing politics, I can just move the thread to the Hangout forum.

wasatchrider

Dec 28, 2018, 12:12 PM
Post #23 of 26 (1647 views)
Shortcut

base283 wrote:
The OP and title were about access during the shutdown. Not polytics. If you donīt like it. You can suck an eggnog by a the fireplace while doing christmas thingies. Merry Christmas ;) .
take care,
space

Ok so whatís your view on the topic?

base283

Dec 28, 2018, 12:45 PM
Post #24 of 26 (1636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wasatchrider] Government shutdown [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom has answered the question.
I have no view.
Hi Tom, yes please move the irrelevant posts.
Thanks,
take care,
space

Colm

Dec 28, 2018, 1:33 PM
Post #25 of 26 (1617 views)
Shortcut

I think that's a good point, this thread wandered far like many do. Move it to hangout if you want but I don't have anything else to add unless someone wants to debate buttplugs or whatever

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media