Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Beginners:
Do FJCs still make any attempt at all to teach students common sense in regards to site burning / ethics?
Premier Sponsor:

science303

Dec 18, 2018, 4:51 PM
Post #1 of 7 (979 views)
Shortcut
Do FJCs still make any attempt at all to teach students common sense in regards to site burning / ethics? Can't Post

Saw a fresh "graduate" of a course that will remain unnamed for now engage in some shit recently that has me thinking the answer is no.

TomAiello

Dec 18, 2018, 5:16 PM
Post #2 of 7 (968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [science303] Do FJCs still make any attempt at all to teach students common sense in regards to site burning / ethics? [In reply to] Can't Post

We have an ethics discussion/video/lecture in every Fundamentals course. It usually runs about an hour long, and is generally done on the last day (day 4) of the course.

Keep in mind that no instructor can control a students behavior after a course is over, so no matter what was in the course, different students will behave differently afterward.

Dadsy

Dec 18, 2018, 9:12 PM
Post #3 of 7 (932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [science303] Do FJCs still make any attempt at all to teach students common sense in regards to site burning / ethics? [In reply to] Can't Post

what did he say when you asked him about it?

flooooooo

Dec 19, 2018, 7:00 AM
Post #4 of 7 (839 views)
Shortcut

i can only speak for the courses run by pressurized and there base-ethics is a part of the theory lessons.

YODO

Dec 19, 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #5 of 7 (796 views)
Shortcut

No ethics without consequences.

science303

Dec 19, 2018, 3:12 PM
Post #6 of 7 (762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Do FJCs still make any attempt at all to teach students common sense in regards to site burning / ethics? [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately I didn't get filled in on the details of what was going on until they were gone. They were tight-lipped when I and a couple others tried to find out exactly what they were going to hit. A few other people filled me in on what little they knew (which at that point didn't include the object, just the very general location it was in and the fact that this kid had been treating it like a third world mail-order bride basically since they got home from their FJC). I only realized the full severity of the stupidity when someone later showed me a video of the jump which appeared to have been posted to some form of social media as soon as they landed.

To add insult to injury, it turned out to be an object pretty much literally in my backyard, which I had been scoping for a while now.

I had never met the recent graduate before, nor did I know anything about their experience level or anything else until well after they had left. I foolishly tend to assume that people have more common sense or courtesy for other jumpers than was displayed here, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt given the fact that I knew nothing about them outside of their first name, but maybe that was a good lesson for me.

(This post was edited by science303 on Dec 19, 2018, 5:11 PM)

NPSB_SOB

Dec 21, 2018, 1:25 AM
Post #7 of 7 (594 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
To add insult to injury, it turned out to be an object pretty much literally in my backyard, which I had been scoping for a while now.
...Well, that doesn't really sound like your object. You're a jumper, it's an object, it's almost literally in your backyard, you haven't jumped it yet. This guy is sessioning it. Good on 'em.

My FJC included ethics. I don't approve of dayblazing shared objects. However, when I went home after my FJC, my discretion was low and my sending it level was high, but I was the only jumper in several hundred miles. Is there a chance this guy thinks there's no other jumpers around?

I'd suggest you introduce yourself. Give him a bit of the benefit of the doubt, or at least tolerance for a new and dumb jumper, and help enlighten him on our shared ethics, and your regional do's and dont's. You might be able to help prevent a further issue, like burning an object you actually jump, or a safety issue a new, overenthusiastic jumper is more likely to miss. Aww shit, you might even make a friend, you have so much in common.

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media