Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

MBA-PATTO

Oct 21, 2018, 2:54 AM
Post #1 of 53 (8712 views)
Shortcut
Beta Testing BFL Webpage Can't Post

Hello All,

Myself and another jumper have designed and made this page for the community.

I am asking people to please send PM messages if they can see something they may want in the stats page and if we can make it happen we will try.

Please remember this is fairly new so we will have bugs in play that will need ironing out.

Here is the page for the BFL (please note this is not the original base fatality page)

http://bfl.baseaddict.com/
In here you can filter the fatalitys by date, place and what they were wearing.

Here is the page on the website for Stats
http://bfl.baseaddict.com/analytics

Working on iPhones/computers but not showing much on IPads

Here is the page for reporting incidents/fatalitys
http://bfl.baseaddict.com/report

Further down the track we will be making it grow with base companies jumping on board as well as base training associations (FJC's) and also a place to go to find more informaton.

The attached picture is the one issue i see it is showing 77 unknown and 7 just saying Wingsuits but we do know that the majority of these are wingsuit deaths and we just dont know what type of wingsuit they were using.

Thanks for reading and hoping that the community can get on board and share incidents and fatalitys.

One last thing this website will not show the latest fatalitys in the last 14 days as we do not wish the media to use that information as it happens.

(This post was edited by MBA-PATTO on Oct 21, 2018, 3:31 AM)
Attachments: 111.JPG (30.0 KB)

setarkos

Oct 21, 2018, 3:48 AM
Post #2 of 53 (8688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MBA-PATTO] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

This is already so much better than the old one on Blinc! Well done.

1. Somehow Vapire 1&3 are classified as 'Wingsuits' whereas all other WS fatalities are broken down into beginner, intermediate, expert WS.

I think there should be a category 'Wingsuits' for all wingsuits and beginner, intermediate, expert should be subcategories. Maybe this solve the stats unkown issue, too?

2. It'd be nice if you could link to statistics to a filtered list, such that on the stats page you could click on eg. 'Tracksuits' and get a list of all tracksuit fatalities.

(This post was edited by setarkos on Oct 21, 2018, 3:52 AM)

MrAW

Oct 21, 2018, 3:50 AM
Post #3 of 53 (8687 views)
Shortcut

Nice work, much easier to read than the current version.

One minor thing but some of the areas could be combined? e.g. Romsdalen + Andalsnes, Sunndalsora + Litledalen.

Great idea with the 'last 14 days' aspect.

setarkos

Oct 21, 2018, 3:57 AM
Post #4 of 53 (8684 views)
Shortcut

re: 'Unknown'

Some of the reports don't seem to be completed. #294 says 'Clothes: Unknown' but the report says he was flying a Freak.

setarkos

Oct 21, 2018, 4:20 AM
Post #5 of 53 (8679 views)
Shortcut

I'd also suggest to clean up COD and Possible Factors in a more systematic way.

Eg. #354 has 'Unstable Exit' as COD whereas #317 has it as a Possible Factor.

#316 has COD 'Off-Heading' but all other similar fatalities are found under COD 'Canopy - Strike'.

COD 'Strike - Object' is mostly wall strikes under canopy but also has wingsuit fatalities with nothing out.

CODs 'Proxymity', 'Strike - impact', 'Impact - nothing out', 'Impact in full flight', and 'Impact - no pull' are at least overlapping if not partly redundant-

setarkos

Oct 21, 2018, 6:53 AM
Post #6 of 53 (8646 views)
Shortcut

#262 is missing the report and the exit Gitschen is not in the Titlis area.

michal.slesingr

Oct 21, 2018, 7:10 AM
Post #7 of 53 (8639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [setarkos] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

This one I just fixed but there will be probably more of those issues (It simply happened because Brad did all the work to transfer records to new database himself and some of the records were missing some details and also structure of the data was not consistent so it was just a lot of work for one person). I also moved V1-3 to intermediate WS and deleted Wingsuit type (so now there are beginner, intermediate and expert WS in database). Because of the design of the database and calculation there will appear "Unknown" in the stats as long as no suit is assigned to the incident. I'll probably add under 3 types Unknown Beginner WS, ... Intermediate WS, ... Expert WS and that might solve the issue if we will be able get type of the WS at least. I also hope that we will get updated information from jumpers who know what happened and that is also the reason why we are showing in incident details "Unknown" where we don't know. There is form under the incident which is delivered into our e-mails and linked to specific record so we can update informations. Hopefully we will motivate jumpers to send updates as now it's much easier to browse records and those records are displayed consistently. ;)

michal.slesingr

Oct 21, 2018, 7:15 AM
Post #8 of 53 (8633 views)
Shortcut

It's not easy to maintain Country-Area-Exit database as there is probably no-one who knows all the areas well. Anyway I'll be happy if you can help us to categorise locations? I can print out all the locations hierarchy so it's easier to look into it and make notes what might be changed if that helps?

setarkos

Oct 21, 2018, 7:21 AM
Post #9 of 53 (8630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michal.slesingr] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand some of your reasoning but I think especially for the statistics it's not helpful to have those 'unknown' suits not show up as Wingsuits. Even more so, since 'unknown' isn't really true if we know it was a wingsuit.
I am also not sure to what extent it is of interest what type of suit it was (beg/int/exp) but that's just my opinion.
In any case I wouldn't expect a lot of details to be reported soon, especially on older fatalities. So I would suggest to keep beg/int/exp categories and put all other into one category '(unknown type of) wingsuit'.

I can imagine that it is a lot of work since the old format makes parsing difficult. I'd be happy to help (PM me).

michal.slesingr

Oct 21, 2018, 7:25 AM
Post #10 of 53 (8625 views)
Shortcut

Well we probably don't understand each other. In database there is suit type (beginner WS, intermediate WS and expert WS) and then there is table with suits itself where every suit has assigned suit type. So my idea is create unknown or unspecified beginner ws, intermediate and expert and assign those with beginner, intermediate and expert suit type. Then in the stats you will get rid of Unknown suit type and you will have those added into beginner WS, intermediate and expert WS.

setarkos

Oct 21, 2018, 9:20 AM
Post #11 of 53 (8590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michal.slesingr] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

But this works only if you find out for every fatality what level of suit it was. Why not make a fourth suit type for all unknown suits that you can not assign to beg/int/exp?

Clearly things like Locations etc. have to be a community effort. I thought you guys wanted bug reports, so I just started listing things I noticed but maybe doing this via Google Doc or something similar is a more effective format?

Regarding countries, it would also be convenient if in the drop-down menu in the filter interface you would only list countries for which there is a fatality.

Edit: Spotted another one: #299 was not at Croix des Tetes but at Chapeau de Napoléon

(This post was edited by setarkos on Oct 21, 2018, 9:33 AM)

MontBlanc

Oct 21, 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #12 of 53 (8566 views)
Shortcut

http://bfl.baseaddict.com/record/BFL296
Error spotted : Chap wasn't jumping a Onesie but a home made onepiece tracking suit.

TomAiello

Oct 21, 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #13 of 53 (8554 views)
Shortcut

Looks pretty good so far. Thanks for all the work on it.

The List has needed it's own home since Nick DG shut down his site after getting harassed on the internet. It's good to see the list with it's own place again. Smile

michal.slesingr

Oct 21, 2018, 12:20 PM
Post #14 of 53 (8538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MontBlanc] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

MontBlanc wrote:
http://bfl.baseaddict.com/record/BFL296
Error spotted : Chap wasn't jumping a Onesie but a home made onepiece tracking suit.

Updated, Thanks!

MBA-PATTO

Oct 21, 2018, 12:47 PM
Post #15 of 53 (8521 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to everyone who has sent messages and written in on the forum.

As I said before there will be bugs and we will over time sort them out.

Thanks also to any ideas you guys have come up with.

We can go back and work through them.

W_Heisenberg

Oct 21, 2018, 1:29 PM
Post #16 of 53 (8500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

TomAiello wrote:
Looks pretty good so far. Thanks for all the work on it.

The List has needed it's own home since Nick DG shut down his site after getting harassed on the internet. It's good to see the list with it's own place again. Smile

Nick DG sadly got harassed after Jimmy Hall went in by Claire and Jimmy Holliday. They both acted like little bitches over it, and neither one of them was at his celebration on Oahu.

One can see how after Jimmy's death the list changed.
I think what Patto has done it amazing!!

trenwah

Oct 22, 2018, 8:59 PM
Post #17 of 53 (8263 views)
Shortcut

Why is the time that someone has been jumping measured in seasons and not years?

Heat

Oct 23, 2018, 2:16 AM
Post #18 of 53 (8224 views)
Shortcut

Nice work!

michal.slesingr

Oct 23, 2018, 3:25 PM
Post #19 of 53 (8119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trenwah] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

trenwah wrote:
Why is the time that someone has been jumping measured in seasons and not years?
Not sure why I chose seasons over years but it's not important actually as it is basically same. Maybe because I consider BASE as sport and in sport usually seasons are used? If you don't like it, you can give me reasons to change it but I think it's just matter of personal preference. ;)

flyjeronimo

Oct 26, 2018, 12:21 AM
Post #20 of 53 (7886 views)
Shortcut

Very Nice job.

For me too, "Unknown" is not good answer for the statistics.

Here for #38 repport says "Alex had 30 BASE jumps and is a very experienced skydiver.This jump took place from a launch point well known to him, at night, with no wind and under a full moon. Witness reports state he did a short delay considering the altitude available and then lost sight of him. Alex is found dead hours later by a rescue team.The rig is reported to be packed slider up (single canopy container, but an old skydiving canopy more or less adapted for BASE).The report went on to say the canopy seems to have been perfectly deployed."
So why not write here "object strike under canopy"?

#135 "Three base jumper at the Murrenfluh went, to take a further leap this day from the Nose. The first base jumper jumped off. His two colleagues noticed that he was unstable in freefall. Only when they were in the air - they took out a leap together - they saw their colleague was crashed and impacted near the cliff on the ground. The helicopter rescue crew found him dead. "
It is probably more an "impact in terminal free fall"?

#132 Phantom wingsuit beginner / Yellow Ocean is not the best exit for wingsuiting... It was common in 2009 to have a leg poutch on Phantom so "No pull find" or "low pull" or "impact in terminal..."?

#173 in Prodigy beginner " Possible Factors: Loss of speed-glide, Proximity flying "
Here perhaps "impact in terminal..." or "object stricke under canopy"

Take care.

setarkos

Oct 26, 2018, 1:51 AM
Post #21 of 53 (7877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyjeronimo] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

I did the COD overhaul and recategorization so I'll reply:

No objections to #38.

"The cause of the incident is not yet known." from the incident report and incident thread.

From the corresponding incident thread "He jumped, disappeared and Magnus lost sight of him, supposedly there was no sound of a canopy opening either. At this particular moment this is all i know."

Basically no info. I think the 'possible factors' are simply because he was in a wingsuit. No further details in incident thread.

I don't know if it makes sense to put these into either of the categories only in order to not have 'unknown' in the statistics. I mean if we actually don't know why not classify it as such? Since it's only three #s it won't skew stats to heavily so I am not that strongly opposed.
Let's see what other people think.

Edit to add: There might very well still be mistakes as well. So please write here, if you spot any. Cheers

(This post was edited by setarkos on Oct 26, 2018, 5:30 AM)

AntoineLaporte

Oct 26, 2018, 2:02 AM
Post #22 of 53 (7872 views)
Shortcut

Hey Patto,

nice work here.

One idea for me would be for the the statistics to be able to choose the timeline like only the 3 last years or the 5 last years ...

Thank you

MBA-PATTO

Oct 26, 2018, 3:16 AM
Post #23 of 53 (7858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

We are working on it buddy, keep sending through any suggestions and if we can do it, it will get done..

@flyjeronimo

We keep the list as Factual as possible as we all could assume things but they may be wrong so as usual only information sent to us from the people at the accident or rescuers/police information gets used.

We are actually getting emails sent to us to correct information that has been outstanding for a few years so its looking promising to gain more information due to the new layout.

As i said up above if you have any comments lay them out here and we will try and make it happen.

(This post was edited by MBA-PATTO on Oct 26, 2018, 3:26 AM)

Esab

Oct 26, 2018, 3:27 AM
Post #24 of 53 (7847 views)
Shortcut
Beta Testing BFL Webpage [In reply to] Can't Post

Really nice effort to improve BFL guys!
Thanks and keep up going!

flyjeronimo

Oct 26, 2018, 7:07 AM
Post #25 of 53 (7811 views)
Shortcut

Hi Patto,

As I said it is a very nice and great job!

Perhaps it's missing some section like: "female / male" "Age" "base experience" or is it your choise to not go in that way about the personnality of these jumpers?

Thx cheers

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media