Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Pala
Premier Sponsor:

Dadsy

Oct 4, 2018, 3:27 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Pala Can't Post

Anyone got some feed back on the Pala yet?

setarkos

Oct 8, 2018, 3:29 AM
Post #2 of 13 (745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Pala [In reply to] Can't Post

I only have 3 skydives and 3 base jumps on it, no experience with other one-piece-suits and I know Andi so I'm a little biased but since no one else is answering...

- It's pretty big, probably a little smaller than the Onesie Power, maybe a little bigger than the Mono, bigger than the Sausage.
Edit: It's not smaller than the Onesie Power.
- My biggest takeaway is how easy it is to fly having only two-piece experience - both from the plane and in BASE. Inflation seems pretty quick after exit. I felt comfortable right away.
- No complications with the pull for me - no adjustments relative to two-piece.
- You can run with it but climbing fences is difficult.

Do have any specific questions?

Hopefully I get more jumps on it next weekend and some comparison with other one-piece-jumpers. Can't really comment on performance yet.

(This post was edited by setarkos on Oct 15, 2018, 3:28 AM)

Dadsy

Oct 8, 2018, 3:36 AM
Post #3 of 13 (744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [setarkos] Pala [In reply to] Can't Post

I know Andi too, but obviously asking the manufacturer isn't the best idea :)
Nothing specific I was just curious
Although now I do want to know why you would be climbing fences in it?

setarkos

Oct 8, 2018, 5:44 AM
Post #4 of 13 (718 views)
Shortcut

Dadsy wrote:
Although now I do want to know why you would be climbing fences in it?

I don't. Some people have said it's only a tracking suit if you can climb/step over the fence at the valley noses landing.

Dadsy

Oct 8, 2018, 5:50 AM
Post #5 of 13 (717 views)
Shortcut

Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that rule

AntoineLaporte

Oct 10, 2018, 1:53 AM
Post #6 of 13 (489 views)
Shortcut

Dadsy wrote:
Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that rule

The rules for the tracking suit definition depends on the suit you got and which categorie you want it to fit in Laugh

setarkos

Oct 10, 2018, 8:26 AM
Post #7 of 13 (432 views)
Shortcut

Any definition will be somewhat arbitrary.

I want to be able to put my arms straight up for the exit, make a couple of steps, no arm wing between my hand an PC and I don't mind booties.

BigfcknG

Oct 10, 2018, 1:00 PM
Post #8 of 13 (397 views)
Shortcut

I agree completely. To me, that's what makes tracking so fun. A big run and throwing your hands straight up! This video shows some very good examples:
https://youtu.be/0hOu0aO2Eig

yuri_base

Oct 10, 2018, 2:12 PM
Post #9 of 13 (377 views)
Shortcut
half-wingsuit [In reply to] Can't Post

>>> I want to be able to put my arms straight up for the exit, make a couple of steps, no arm wing between my hand an PC and I don't mind booties. <<<

That's also possible with Prodigy pants-only, or with a suit with a small leg wing such as Phantom, with arm wings cut off or suit cut in half at the waist line. I've done a lot of skydives with such half-wingsuits, including "Superman" body position, with arms (or just one) stretched forward. Alas, I've never done BASE with them (only some balloon/heli jumps).

skow

Oct 11, 2018, 5:34 AM
Post #10 of 13 (283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yuri_base] half-wingsuit [In reply to] Can't Post

yuri_base wrote:
>>> I want to be able to put my arms straight up for the exit, make a couple of steps, no arm wing between my hand an PC and I don't mind booties. <<<

That's also possible with Prodigy pants-only, or with a suit with a small leg wing such as Phantom, with arm wings cut off or suit cut in half at the waist line. I've done a lot of skydives with such half-wingsuits, including "Superman" body position, with arms (or just one) stretched forward. Alas, I've never done BASE with them (only some balloon/heli jumps).

It's even possible with suits like Aura. All you need is to cut away the wings!!

yuri_base

Oct 11, 2018, 9:25 AM
Post #11 of 13 (250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skow] half-wingsuit [In reply to] Can't Post

skow wrote:
yuri_base wrote:

It's even possible with suits like Aura. All you need is to cut away the wings!!

That's the spirit. Creation by destruction. Create a new flying machine by a few quick moves of the scissors!

setarkos

Oct 15, 2018, 3:08 AM
Post #12 of 13 (9 views)
Shortcut

Sixth jump on the suit.

Dadsy

Oct 15, 2018, 3:43 AM
Post #13 of 13 (4 views)
Shortcut

nice