Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks
Premier Sponsor:

84n4n4

Oct 2, 2018, 2:19 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1006 views)
Shortcut
android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks Can't Post

ive created this little android app for importing, viewing, editing, and sharing flysight tracks.
maybe someone finds this useful, its just something i wanted to have and then thought i might as well polish it a bit and put it on google play:
https://play.google.com/...floatcast.floatsight

its free and open source, if anyone wants to build locally or contribute:
https://github.com/84n4n4/FloatSight

- bug reports - please send to float.cast.boat@gmail.com
- no, im not going to make an iphone version
- its gplv3, free and open source, no ads, no tracking tools
- ive got a list of planned features for next release, if you want to contribute or suggest features please check out https://github.com/84n4n4/FloatSight
- for more info have a look at the readme: https://github.com/84n4n4/FloatSight/blob/develop/README.md
Attachments: screenshot_plot2.jpg (133 KB)

yuri_base

Oct 2, 2018, 8:17 PM
Post #2 of 16 (966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [84n4n4] android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

Kudos! Would be great if it supported .kml and .gpx formats, to support other GPS, such as Dual Electronics XGPS160 (10Hz, Bluetooth, logging) or 150A (5Hz, BT only), Bad Elf GPS Pro (10Hz, BT, logging), or any other GPS for that matter that outputs standard formats.

try2live

Oct 2, 2018, 9:50 PM
Post #3 of 16 (956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [84n4n4] android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you guys should share notes. I know this guy named kenny, and he has an app that he developed that has already opened one of the largest wingsuit jumps in the area. It uses your data from any jump previous, and allows you to overlay onto any cliff you want, and will basically show you where you would impact on any previous jump good or bad. you can pick to choose your margin. He also has an app that shows you the nearest antenna to your location and brings up all data about that tower. Easy pickins...Kenny is the man. And he is smart.
Attached is a photo showing you were you would be awesome, and where you would go in...based on real data from previous jumps off safer mountains...

https://baseline.ws/

(This post was edited by try2live on Oct 2, 2018, 10:00 PM)
Attachments: tracking data.png (1.59 MB)

yuri_base

Oct 2, 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #4 of 16 (942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [try2live] android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice visualization! It's great that we have more and more apps specific for BASE/wingsuit. (they are still hard to find in the huge number of stupid games that pop up when one searches for "wingsuit", maybe we should tag them with some "secret" keyword, e.g. "Shawanga", so we can easily locate them)

epibase

Oct 3, 2018, 7:38 AM
Post #5 of 16 (901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [try2live] android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

The jump in your picture is great! we did it in 2012!
almost 6000' usable altitude.
my buddy cleared that ridgeline higher than the model shows.. in a V4 nonetheless..

its a pretty long hike though...

(This post was edited by epibase on Oct 3, 2018, 7:48 AM)

yuri_base

Oct 3, 2018, 10:18 AM
Post #6 of 16 (867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [epibase] android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

epibase wrote:
The jump in your picture is great! we did it in 2012!
almost 6000' usable altitude.
my buddy cleared that ridgeline higher than the model shows.. in a V4 nonetheless..

its a pretty long hike though...

Anyone jumped the one south of this, 'The Three Stooges', with a fire lookout house on top? (Unfortunately, landing options are shit, unless it's possible to fly over the ridge into another valley.) That would be a spectacular jump as well.

epibase

Oct 3, 2018, 10:41 AM
Post #7 of 16 (852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yuri_base] android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

Iím not sure if itís been jumped, I havent heard.. But I would say it would be fairly difficult to clear that ridge if not impossible.
You would pretty much have to land by what used to be the bottom of the Ďglacierí.. then it would be a long hike out too...

yuri_base

Oct 3, 2018, 10:43 AM
Post #8 of 16 (850 views)
Shortcut
Feature request: add L/D [In reply to] Can't Post

Feature request: add L/D calculated using formula

L/D = (GR + z)/(1 - GR*z)

where z is dimensionless ratio z = ax/(g - ay). It won't give realistic L/D for skydives because of impossibility to reliably subtract wind, but on windless BASE jumps, it should give good L/D data.

(Full discussion, everyone is invited to join Wing Systems Blockchain, a worldwide distributed network of enthusiasts that want to contribute to MWGA - "Make Wingsuiting Great Again")

yuri_base

Oct 3, 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #9 of 16 (844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [epibase] android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

epibase wrote:
Iím not sure if itís been jumped, I havent heard.. But I would say it would be fairly difficult to clear that ridge if not impossible.
You would pretty much have to land by what used to be the bottom of the Ďglacierí.. then it would be a long hike out too...

Yeah, I hiked to that bottom of the glacier last summer, and there's just nowhere to land, sans a nasty boulder field (maybe, one can put a big inflated mattress on it before the jump?) But the exit looks good from the bottom and on topos.

epibase

Oct 3, 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #10 of 16 (839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yuri_base] android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I have never hiked near the glacier; it didnít look too pretty from above. We landed on the road at the bottom, by a hairpin curve with opening in the trees barely big enough..

yuri_base

Oct 3, 2018, 11:03 AM
Post #11 of 16 (831 views)
Shortcut

epibase wrote:
Yeah, I have never hiked near the glacier; it didnít look too pretty from above. We landed on the road at the bottom, by a hairpin curve with opening in the trees barely big enough..

Maybe we're talking about different places, the one I'm talking about is east of "the stooges", directly below, not much north where the glacier under the big jump is. There's a trail to that place (which eventually starts climbing up the ridge) and it's not a long hike to the parking place (although the hike to the exit is insanely long).

Sorry for offtopicing in Hirschi's topic. Angelic

platypii

Oct 3, 2018, 11:08 AM
Post #12 of 16 (829 views)
Shortcut

Nice work. Android does not make it easy to import from flysight. I looked into it a while ago, and I could use the USBManager to tell me when a flysight is plugged in or not. But android security restrictions prevent you from accessing the files on it directly. Using the file picker like you did seems like the only real solution.

84n4n4

Oct 5, 2018, 12:07 PM
Post #13 of 16 (710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [platypii] android app for importing and viewing flysight tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

platypii wrote:
But android security restrictions prevent you from accessing the files on it directly.

yeah, that and the fact that i already got the strong gut feeling that this would be hard to get compatible with all kinds of vendors and versions, so i focussed more on the other stuff and let the user navigate to the storage himself.

84n4n4

Oct 5, 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #14 of 16 (708 views)
Shortcut

try2live wrote:
It uses your data from any jump previous, and allows you to overlay onto any cliff you want, and will basically show you where you would impact on any previous jump good or bad. you can pick to choose your margin.

next feature im gonna implement is comparing tracks / overlaying altitude vs distance graphs of multiple tracks to compare starts and flights.

im probably adding a minimalistic gui to add terrain profiles and already talked to skyderby aleksandr since he already has some terrain profiles up on his side, skyderby upload button is also (sometime) coming.
since theres already plenty of big flight analytics tools (like baseline, skyderby, etc) online, and plenty of PC software for that, i want to focus on the small / quicky things one probably wants to do on the go / on the busride, while keeping the apps main features offline to not have to rely on a working internet connection (since roaming some places is still rediculously expensive).
i already thought about google maps / earth integration, but put it way further down the todo list because of this.

84n4n4

Oct 5, 2018, 12:19 PM
Post #15 of 16 (706 views)
Shortcut

yuri_base wrote:
Would be great if it supported .kml and .gpx formats, to support other GPS, such as Dual Electronics XGPS160 (10Hz, Bluetooth, logging) or 150A (5Hz, BT only), Bad Elf GPS Pro (10Hz, BT, logging), or any other GPS for that matter that outputs standard formats.

thats quite far up on my todo list. so this is definitely coming. (just a question of time, but hey, winters coming, weathers going to be shit for most parts here so...)

yuri_base

Oct 5, 2018, 12:31 PM
Post #16 of 16 (702 views)
Shortcut
the importance of adjusting flight data to altitude [In reply to] Can't Post

84n4n4 wrote:
next feature im gonna implement is comparing tracks / overlaying altitude vs distance graphs of multiple tracks to compare starts and flights.

Tracks at different start altitudes should be compared by "normalizing" them to some reference altitude. This can be done by using Wingsuit Equations, by calculating coefficients Kl and Kd at altitude, normalizing them to sea level, and then "prorating" these coefficients from different jumps to some common altitude (say, the altitude of the jump that is being of interest, "new" jump), then substituting them back to WSE and integrating them to get the trajectory at altitude. Some math for this can be found in Wingsuit Research megathread.

Simply overlaying GPS data from a 1000m AMSL jump on a prospective 4000m AMSL jump can lead to overoptimistic outlook and wrong decisions...

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media