Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Premier Sponsor:

Reptar

Sep 21, 2018, 9:34 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2097 views)
Shortcut
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia Can't Post

Going to be in KSA for a week this winter. Wondering if there are any jumpers/known spots to jump from and if itís worth bringing a rig. Iíll mostly be around Riyadh and the Tuwayq Mountains looked somewhat promising. Only ever seen the Steve Morrell video and this newer one. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/9qwZzljk9D0

TomAiello

Sep 21, 2018, 10:06 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Reptar] Riyadh, Saudi Arabia [In reply to] Can't Post

I know the guy who made that video. He's on facebook (under a pseudonym).

Saudi is a bad place to run afoul of the law, so I'm not sure how interested he'll be in showing you around, but he's definitely there and active.

Base2088

Sep 27, 2018, 6:54 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Reptar] Riyadh, Saudi Arabia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, to answer your questions, yes there are places to jump including all 4 objects,
If you gonna be in Riyadh for a week you will have good number of jumps as the weather allows and the situations.
Sept. 23rd was our 88th national days which I celebrated it on a base jumper way. where you can see it in the following connection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka06GLCUaxw&t=1s

icarusfx99

Sep 27, 2018, 9:00 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Base2088] Riyadh, Saudi Arabia [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice video! That second jump has me curious though. Looks like a static line jump, but I don't see any bridle and/or PC after the opening. I assume that you didn't have a PC attached and that the bridle is just too small to make out in the video.

Curious why you would jump without a PC?

nickgreen

Sep 28, 2018, 4:40 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icarusfx99] Riyadh, Saudi Arabia [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely no PC you can see that when heís holding the bridle before the jump, WTF!

nickgreen

Sep 28, 2018, 4:45 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Dude what are your reasons for not jumping with a PC even on a static line jump?
Iím not preaching to you just curious.
What if your attachment point broke early? What if you didnít attach at all? Better to be safe than sorry!

***are you Ďleg strapsí guy?***

BigfcknG

Sep 28, 2018, 6:47 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickgreen] Riyadh, Saudi Arabia [In reply to] Can't Post

No PC. That's fucking LOOSE. That's 100% commitment to the static line. Please elaborate.

Base2088

Sep 29, 2018, 10:46 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icarusfx99] Riyadh, Saudi Arabia [In reply to] Can't Post

The antenna jump was a static line, ofcourse I took off the PC.
I know having the PC attached is another safety measure during a static line jump however that is not always true, though from the antena with all those bars around and that kind of gusty wind that you could see part of it in the video, there is a chance of having the PC with the bridle rapped around, so I thought having the PC not attached is safer, after having all the security measures about the static line connections which was thoroughly examined and tested ahead of time, and later on at the object exit point,

The reason that you don't see the bridle after jumping is the distance from the camera guy on the ground and the exit point.

You might say so if the height is that far why to use a static line then, my answer to you is that the one who did object evaluation is the best person who should decide about what way to use to get away from the object safer.

This antena is on top of a mountain elevation which is about 1000 feet from ground, and the wind is crazy gusty, so the earliest that you could be stable to handle the canopy flight is the best, and this jump was safe and ended with leaving this object safe.
You might ask so why to choose this antena with that situation and the answer is that, this was the only one nearby and could jump it without getting arrested.

This jump is my second from this object, my first one was stowed and because of wind issues, and bad judgment, I left the scene with some mild injuries, so I learned my lessons.

Thanks for passing by and comments

base283

Sep 30, 2018, 3:19 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigfcknG] Riyadh, Saudi Arabia [In reply to] Can't Post

BigfcknG wrote:
No PC. That's fucking LOOSE. That's 100% commitment to the static line.
Awww, Come on ya wuss, If you can't jump without a PC ya shouldn't.......
The iffiest thing about doing so, is testing the rigging. Once you have that down, I see no negatives.
There are enough static line systems with very high reliability. Just as high a reliability as a 3 ring release system. Is one "LOOSE" because they jump a 3 ring sys on a single canopy rig?
Are you overreacting or am I under reacting? I do understand the psychological comfort of having a PC on a static line jump. But it is all fluff.
Take care,
space

GreenMachine

Sep 30, 2018, 4:22 AM
Post #10 of 12 (1482 views)
Shortcut
Static Line BASE Jumps [In reply to] Can't Post

The PC can be removed, but 99% of the time the
right call is to leave the pilot chute on the bridle.

OCD freaks and riggers can definitely execute a
jump without one, but Channing Armstrong is on
the BFL and likely wouldn't be had he had a PC.

As for controlling a PC in strong tail winds, one
solution is to larks head an office rubber band
onto the steel, then slip your PC into it, so you
are hands free and snag free at exit time.

DFR

Sep 30, 2018, 7:29 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1453 views)
Shortcut

Bad reason to leave a PC off. Thereís been rigging errors before and premature breakage. At least one fatality that would have been prevented with a PC. If you tie your static line to the middle of the bridle (I hope youíre not tying it to the end especially if you donít have a PC) you can hold your PC as you jump and drop it right as your pins are poping and unless the antenna has big underhung snaghazard it will clear. Especially if you have a tailwind or left to right tailwind. You can also larkshead a rubberband to the antenna and use to hold the hat of the PC and with a solid push your PC will trail off away from the object and shouldnít snag.

Either way Iíd rather have a ripped PC than to go in from a rigging error or premature breakage.

Senditdown

Oct 17, 2018, 2:47 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1187 views)
Shortcut

hey, shot you a PM, I'll be in Saudi this winter as well!

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media