Jumpers block...
Premier Sponsor:

Coltonw

Sep 5, 2018, 9:38 PM
Post #1 of 13 (936 views)
Shortcut
Jumpers block... Can't Post

Hey all.
So lately ive kind of mind fucked myself out of jumping.
I just dont have any motivation or desire to go out and jump.
One of my biggest things was my fjc was during crap weather so we only did 6 jumps and basically never learned anything other than going stowed.
Never have done a T.A.R.D. or roll over or off heading drills. Or any of the basic essentials needed. And im kind of now in a funk where everything seems sketchy. All of my jumps have been in twin. But wondering what others have done to get over the mental block of jumping. Im just very conservative and not the kind of person to just say screw it and jump. So obviously first is touching base with someone willing to work with me but what are some insights on mental preperations you use to work out the "fear" factor?
Thanks in advance.

Dadsy

Sep 5, 2018, 11:20 PM
Post #2 of 13 (909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Coltonw] Jumpers block... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would do another course at a better time of year, or resit the course you did, a lot of companies will be happy for you to do it again for free

TomAiello

Sep 6, 2018, 6:08 AM
Post #3 of 13 (832 views)
Shortcut

Coltonw wrote:
One of my biggest things was my fjc was during crap weather so we only did 6 jumps and basically never learned anything other than going stowed.
Never have done a T.A.R.D. or roll over or off heading drills. Or any of the basic essentials needed.

I don't think of TARDS or roll overs as basic essentials that you need.

How many jumps do you have total?

You're welcome to come and audit or Fundamentals course for free, to help you get current and re-started jumping, if you'd like.

http://snakeriverbase.com/...undamentals-of-base/

You can put in a request to audit here.

Coltonw

Sep 6, 2018, 12:33 PM
Post #4 of 13 (756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Jumpers block... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the offer tom. I might take you up on that.
I agree T.A.R.D and roll overs are not basic essentials. My punctuation was wrong with that statement.
However ive always had a mechanical mindset, and understanding the mechanics of all manuvers, i feel would help me see the larger picture. (Hope that makes sense.)
Currently im sitting on 14 jumps. (Last one the 24th of july)
The basis of my initial post was to see what others do to help get in the zone, and build the concetration and mental prep. To achieve the task at hand. Maybe one just aquires it as they go? Obviously there is a lack of confidence in myself on my part.

TomAiello

Sep 6, 2018, 1:30 PM
Post #5 of 13 (736 views)
Shortcut

Coltonw wrote:
The basis of my initial post was to see what others do to help get in the zone, and build the concetration and mental prep.

Currency is huge.

Do a trip to Twin, get current (even if you need help/supervision/etc). Do as many jumps as you can while you're here. Then keep jumping as regularly as possible.

Where do you live? Some places are much easier than others to stay current. I even know people who've just abandoned currency and become "seasonal" jumpers, who regain currency in the spring, jump for the summer (sometimes only on trips) and take a step back in the winter, and then "re-start" the following spring.

Any lay off gets into your head, but that's far more true in the early stages of BASE. It's one of the reasons we encourage our students to check gear out from the school to keep making jumps and increasing currency and experience at the bridge. It's important to me that we provide that to them for free, because I want to reduce the barriers to currency and re-currency for them That's also why we encourage people to audit the courses they've already taken, basically repeating them for free.

Coltonw

Sep 6, 2018, 9:28 PM
Post #6 of 13 (660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Jumpers block... [In reply to] Can't Post

Good advice tom. Thank you!
I live in salt lake so its about a 3 hour drive to the bridge. As far as i know all of my local objects are "E's" and somewhat technical with minimal delays. Im sure there are others i just dont know about them yet..
I plan on coming up mid september, or perhaps october. And will hit you up if you dont mind..
But i dont expect handouts.. the least i could do is buy you lunch or a 12 pack ;)

NPSB_SOB

Sep 6, 2018, 10:44 PM
Post #7 of 13 (652 views)
Shortcut

Be sure to get Tom American or Mexican beer in clear bottles.

I'm a seasonal jumper because I can't risk injury during fire season. My advice is: any time you're not current, practice pack a couple, then hit up the safest object you've got, starting with the safest method (Span with a static line is my go to locally, or go to the Perrine), repeat, handheld, repeat, stowed, repeat, re-practice object avoidance (floaters, riser turns, simulated crash landings), Moab.
Getting away from the sport seasonally can also be a great way to get the thrill from jumps that have otherwise become mundane... It's about time I dust off my rig...

TomAiello

Sep 7, 2018, 6:28 AM
Post #8 of 13 (570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NPSB_SOB] Jumpers block... [In reply to] Can't Post

NPSB_SOB wrote:
Be sure to get Tom American or Mexican beer in clear bottles.

I'm pretty sure that's the kind of thinking that results in tailgate hang ups. Tongue

erickunkel09

Sep 7, 2018, 11:07 AM
Post #9 of 13 (514 views)
Shortcut

All of the advice listed above is excellent and I highly suggest asking to sit in on the course you previously took or better yet taking Tom up on his offer of observing one of his courses. You could take the same course from 5 different people and learn new things every single time. Diversity is never a bad thing, and Tom offers one of the more thorough FJC courses that will definitely help fill in that void the previous course left.
Something I think people are missing the point on in your post is the fact that you clearly stated you don't have any desire or motivation to jump. That speaks louder to me than the sense of incompletion left from the course. If this isn't something that burns in the pit of your soul and consumes you day and night, if you're not constantly reading books and forums or watching videos of do's and don'ts, if this isn't something that you truly WANT with every part of you, then maybe consider listening to that voice.
I think a lot of us as jumpers, especially early on, get so caught up in the challenge and idea of being a "BASE jumper", then once you step off that ledge for the first time and experience the rush and all the emotions that come after it that we allow our logic and judgment to become clouded and morphed into something it shouldn't be. Fact of the matter is BASE isn't for everyone. I've had my fair share of second thoughts and reservations but in the end its not something I'm willing to walk away from just yet. Don't let the feeling that you've "come this far" or that you feel defeated be the determining factor to pushing through. Maybe take the time to step back and digest what you really want before jumping in with both feet. If you do decide this is what you truly want then don't ever be afraid to ask for help. You have a whole community of fellow jumpers that are more than happy to take the time to help you in whatever way we can, myself included. Which ever direction you decide to go make sure that you're all in.

MrAW

Sep 7, 2018, 8:36 PM
Post #10 of 13 (449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [erickunkel09] Jumpers block... [In reply to] Can't Post

+1 to all of that.

Coltonw

Sep 7, 2018, 9:07 PM
Post #11 of 13 (442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [erickunkel09] Jumpers block... [In reply to] Can't Post

All very valuable points.. and this is mentally where i am..
When i jump, i still have that exhilaration of a 10yr old discovering a rollercoaster for the first time. And i want to do it over and over again. I still find myself looking at tall objects and wondering height, pc size, survivable? Delay time? And of course.. "id jump it"
If i ask myself honestly why i have no desire to jump. My honest answer is i dont feel like i have enough knowledge, or confidence in myself.
I dont believe there is any room for an ego in BASE. Honestly i dont believe theres room for ego in anything..
My biggest thing is i dont want to be a number on a fatality list. And alot of accidents are prevented by knowing how to prevent them in the first place. And i dont feel like i have that knowledge..
My course was incredibly informative. And am not knocking it.. more of that i dont feel like i retained what i needed to.
I just bought matts 3rd edition book and feel like having that will help with knowledge, and currently waiting for it to show up.

erickunkel09

Sep 7, 2018, 9:27 PM
Post #12 of 13 (436 views)
Shortcut

These are all good things to hear. I completely agree that there is no place for an ego in BASE, at the same time too much doubt/fear can be equally as dangerous. These are all very normal thoughts and feelings to be having, especially this early on. My best bit of advice is take your time, objects aren't going anywhere. Go hang out at the Perrine for a few days and just observe for a bit, introduce yourself and talk to fellow jumpers, sit in on a class, start with the basics again, do a PCA or two or three, then work your way up as you get more comfortable. Fill up that knowledge jar as much as you can before you need to pull from the luck jar. You will know when you're ready.

MrAW

Sep 8, 2018, 12:44 AM
Post #13 of 13 (401 views)
Shortcut

It sounds like you should just go back to the Perrine, talk to Tom and a few others, and go from there. You'll figure it out. Smile

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media