New vs. Used for first rig
Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

parashootist

Sep 1, 2018, 8:41 AM
Post #1 of 55 (1778 views)
Shortcut
New vs. Used for first rig Can't Post

Recently completed a FJC and am looking into getting my first rig so I can stay current at the Perrine which is nearby. I'd love to save some cash and buy used but since this gear essentially saves your life each time I'm considering going new for peace of mind. Is it worth it to go new or should I buy something used for my first setup?

Thanks!

TomAiello

Sep 1, 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #2 of 55 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [parashootist] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you happen to take the Snake River BASE course? I don't recognize your username, but it's new, so I can't say if I know you.

If so, you can just borrow gear (without limit) to jump the Perrine and stay current.

If not and you need to buy gear, my advice is to buy a cheap used rig if you're only going to jump the Perrine. That way you can bang out a bunch of jumps (and potentially thrash your gear with beginner mistakes like water and tree landings) and then order new gear for next year, when you (a) have hopefully had a chance to demo a bunch of different rigs (BASEgear.net has demos from several manufacturers on site in Twin Falls), and (b) are through the early phases of your BASE jumping when you'll be much harder on gear.

Note that I'm only giving that advice for Perrine Bridge jumps. If you want to jump more technical stuff soon, then my advice would be different.

(This post was edited by TomAiello on Sep 1, 2018, 10:21 AM)

parashootist

Sep 1, 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #3 of 55 (1743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom, thanks so much for the reply. I did my course with Miles since a friend had taken his course in the past and thus that's the one I knew about!

I think for the foreseeable future I will be jumping the bridge only. I come from a paragliding/speed flying background so this sport has a fair bit of new skills for me to develop. I felt like I progressed well during the course and look forward to continuing that progression.

Thanks again for the advice, from my lurking here it seems you're a great resource.

See you at the bridge!

hjumper33
Sep 1, 2018, 4:55 PM
Post #4 of 55 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Nothing at all wrong with most used gear. There’s a ton of people that get into this sport and they get out quickly. I didn’t buy new gear until I was in the sport for several years. If you don’t feel comfortable inspecting it yourself, have your mentor help you out. Stay away from stuff stored near car batteries, multiple salt water landings, or owned by Australians.

parashootist

Sep 1, 2018, 5:07 PM
Post #5 of 55 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hjumper33] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

hjumper33 wrote:
Stay away from stuff stored near car batteries, multiple salt water landings, or owned by Australians.

hahaha, funny thing is I was offered a Flik by an Australian but it has a claimed 220 jumps on it. New lines and one patch. I think I'd like to go with something someone bought and then didn't end up using much.

I think I'd be okay inspecting it. While a very different sport, it's still similar enough to paragliding that I think I'd be able to notice glaring defects. I suppose the main issue is that I'd likely be buying sight unseen online.

Is age much of a factor for containers? I was offered a 2014 Blackjack with under 20 jumps but the container is a 2000 Perigee Pro sized to fit me. (the container I want but that's pretty old)

Skez

Sep 1, 2018, 7:54 PM
Post #6 of 55 (1670 views)
Shortcut

What if u buy new and its faulty theres no forced rigorous checks etc in base jumping like skydiving gear...u roll the dice with half these dodgy managacters out there lol..your the test pilot .....ps I'm not being serious but fuck buying new expensive as shit just to jump that pussies bridge....a raven would he overkill Haha

parashootist

Sep 1, 2018, 9:14 PM
Post #7 of 55 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skez] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Skez wrote:
What if u buy new and its faulty theres no forced rigorous checks etc in base jumping like skydiving gear...u roll the dice with half these dodgy managacters out there lol..your the test pilot .....ps I'm not being serious but fuck buying new expensive as shit just to jump that pussies bridge....a raven would he overkill Haha

Haha I love how jumping the bridge is considered pretty tame when it's something like .001% (probably less) will ever do. You're right though that a piece of used kit has likely proven that it works.

I don't intend to jump the bridge solely forever but until I'm more competent/confident in the sport, that's the plan. Someday I'll hit spots in Moab for sure. Already guessing the height of every antenna I see and pondering their suitability for jumping.

Looks like used is the way to go!

So if an 18 year old container appears to be in physically good condition, is there any reason it shouldn't be good to go? I'd imagine a perigee pro is likely over built.

Heat

Sep 2, 2018, 5:17 AM
Post #8 of 55 (1602 views)
Shortcut

Have you considered the Rook by Apex BASE? A lot of bang for the buck.

parashootist

Sep 2, 2018, 6:36 AM
Post #9 of 55 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Heat] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Heat wrote:
Have you considered the Rook by Apex BASE? A lot of bang for the buck.

I've looked at it. It's about the same price as a blackjack and a gargoyle or similar container. Definitely competitively priced but still about a grand more than the used rigs I'm looking at.

Dadsy

Sep 2, 2018, 7:09 AM
Post #10 of 55 (1584 views)
Shortcut

I think a grand is worth the 18 year difference

parashootist

Sep 2, 2018, 7:13 AM
Post #11 of 55 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Dadsy wrote:
I think a grand is worth the 18 year difference

Yea that setup that was offered to me was a 2014 blackjack 260zp with 18 jumps and a 2000 perigee pro for $1650. The canopy is what I want but the container is definitely old.

Skez

Sep 2, 2018, 7:21 AM
Post #12 of 55 (1577 views)
Shortcut

I've seen a parachute as old as 40 years still in good condition ..then theres shit used by an "Australian" that's only few years old and fucked ....Haha but yeh common sense here hey..like think about that bloke that used old shitty risers and learnt the hard way...

parashootist

Sep 2, 2018, 8:59 AM
Post #13 of 55 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skez] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Skez wrote:
I've seen a parachute as old as 40 years still in good condition ..then theres shit used by an "Australian" that's only few years old and fucked ....Haha but yeh common sense here hey..like think about that bloke that used old shitty risers and learnt the hard way...

Yea, I don't want to learn anything in this sport the hard way!

BodeyM

Sep 2, 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #14 of 55 (1547 views)
Shortcut

If you pick up that rig, you could definitely still pick up another newer used container for under a grand.

parashootist

Sep 2, 2018, 10:44 AM
Post #15 of 55 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BodeyM] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

BodeyM wrote:
If you pick up that rig, you could definitely still pick up another newer used container for under a grand.

Yea, there's a fairly new Blacksheep Talus for $600obo, could be a good deal.

JDS

Sep 2, 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #16 of 55 (1528 views)
Shortcut

parashootist wrote:
Tom, thanks so much for the reply. I did my course with Miles ...

Why don't you ask Miles D????
He would be the one to ask... he probably has a rig to sell you.

Huckleberry

bluhdow

Sep 2, 2018, 1:25 PM
Post #17 of 55 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Heat] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Rooks are in short supply these days. Building them as fast as we can but they move quickly.

Not sure what size you’re after but we’ve got a couple of stock 280s moving through production now. $2,700 gets you a full kit, brand new, built to your measurements.

Used gear will be cheaper, just be sure to have a qualified rigger or manufacturer check it out. Most used gear can benefit from a little tune up between owners.

parashootist

Sep 2, 2018, 1:28 PM
Post #18 of 55 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluhdow] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

bluhdow wrote:
Rooks are in short supply these days. Building them as fast as we can but they move quickly.

Not sure what size you’re after but we’ve got a couple of stock 280s moving through production now. $2,700 gets you a full kit, brand new, built to your measurements.

Used gear will be cheaper, just be sure to have a qualified rigger or manufacturer check it out. Most used gear can benefit from a little tune up between owners.

I'd be looking for a 260, any of those in the queue?

TomAiello

Sep 2, 2018, 1:31 PM
Post #19 of 55 (1506 views)
Shortcut

parashootist wrote:
bluhdow wrote:

I'd be looking for a 260, any of those in the queue?

There might actually be one in stock in Twin Falls, but I'm just getting back into town after three weeks in California, so I don't know for sure. Check with John at BASEgear.net.

TomAiello

Sep 2, 2018, 1:33 PM
Post #20 of 55 (1504 views)
Shortcut

parashootist wrote:
Is age much of a factor for containers? I was offered a 2014 Blackjack with under 20 jumps but the container is a 2000 Perigee Pro sized to fit me. (the container I want but that's pretty old)

The effective service life of a container is almost infinite, if it's treated well. Honestly, I think that sounds like a really good set up at a good price.

If you just want the BJ but have to buy the whole system, shoot me a PM. I'll buy the Pro from you (or work out some kind of trade for another container, if you want).

parashootist

Sep 2, 2018, 1:43 PM
Post #21 of 55 (1501 views)
Shortcut

TomAiello wrote:
parashootist wrote:

The effective service life of a container is almost infinite, if it's treated well. Honestly, I think that sounds like a really good set up at a good price.

If you just want the BJ but have to buy the whole system, shoot me a PM. I'll buy the Pro from you (or work out some kind of trade for another container, if you want).

Tom, I think hearing that from you is putting my mind at ease quite a bit. My first paraglider harness was 20 years old and provided good service. I think I'll be able to tell if it is in good working order. I suppose buying used gear also relies on some trust that people in the BASE community have each other's best interest in mind.

I really appreciate the offer and the guidance. I'll see what happens with the deal!

TomAiello

Sep 2, 2018, 1:44 PM
Post #22 of 55 (1499 views)
Shortcut

If you're not sure about the gear, you can always just hire a rigger to inspect if for you, too. That at least gives some reassurance that you've had a second set of eyes look it over.

bluhdow

Sep 2, 2018, 1:48 PM
Post #23 of 55 (1498 views)
Shortcut

If John doesn’t already have a 260 in stock he’ll have one in the next week or so. We’ve got a few kits headed his way and a 260 is in the mix.

Thanks Tom!

parashootist

Sep 2, 2018, 2:36 PM
Post #24 of 55 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluhdow] New vs. Used for first rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Well sounds like I should be able to get something soon! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

GreenMachine

Sep 4, 2018, 4:41 AM
Post #25 of 55 (1341 views)
Shortcut
TO: bluhdow [In reply to] Can't Post

RE: a qualified rigger check it out

Could you explain which riggers are unqualified to inspect gear?

RE: a manufacturer check it out

Are all companies qualified to inspect gear?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media