Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes
Premier Sponsor:

RoadBuzzard

Jun 29, 2018, 2:00 PM
Post #1 of 17 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes Can't Post

What parts of the canopy should stand out for packing purposes? What lines should be a different color considering packing and malfunction corrections? What about with stealth being factored in to the equation? This seems like a worthy discussion.

platypii

Jun 29, 2018, 2:52 PM
Post #2 of 17 (1344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RoadBuzzard] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big fan of different-color center rib, so that I can easily tell that I've found the true center of the canopy when packing.

Attachments: OSP.png (30.2 KB)

TomAiello

Jun 29, 2018, 3:08 PM
Post #3 of 17 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [platypii] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

platypii wrote:
I'm a big fan of different-color center rib, so that I can easily tell that I've found the true center of the canopy when packing.

Me too.

I tend to go with a center rib that's a different color from anything else on the canopy, and a center cell that's different from the next two outside cells (at the nose). I also tend to like having the color be the same on the top and bottom of the center cell.

RoadBuzzard

Jun 29, 2018, 4:05 PM
Post #4 of 17 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

Great input. Does anyone think there'd be any value in having all different colored lines in order to more easily follow a tension knotted line down to within your reach to either pull and release and/or cut?

TomAiello

Jun 29, 2018, 6:41 PM
Post #5 of 17 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RoadBuzzard] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see the reasoning there, but I've never seen a situation in which that would have actually helped with malfunction correction.

DFR

Jun 29, 2018, 7:23 PM
Post #6 of 17 (1243 views)
Shortcut

Stealth depends on a few things. For urban jumping I like all black with a different color for centercell, ribs, and stabilizers. My old OSP was black with all of the above royal blue. Disappears at night but looks great and stands out a bit when jumping legally in the day. Purple, red, navy, and green also blend in at night but look sharp in pictures.

On the other hand if you like to jump big cliffs in America, you’re gonna want something grey with black and white accents. I have 2 canopies in those colors, all grey with white centercell, ribs, and stabilizers and then a black nose. Disappears along granite.

So stealth depends on what your blending in with.

base570

Jul 3, 2018, 3:05 PM
Post #7 of 17 (960 views)
Shortcut

I go with a center cell that is different as well.

As far as stealth goes, colors that blend in with the environment can be a good idea although if the colors of your canopy get you busted then you have probably already done something wrong with your plan to be stealthy. If you do a good job planning on not being seen then your gear color shouldn't matter. Smile

nickgreen

Jul 4, 2018, 2:35 AM
Post #8 of 17 (889 views)
Shortcut

Different colour centre cell for ease of packing and if you intend to jump in the mountains then a bright colour should help you be seen should you have an incident and require rescue

TomAiello

Jul 4, 2018, 8:17 AM
Post #9 of 17 (845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickgreen] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

nickgreen wrote:
Different colour centre cell for ease of packing and if you intend to jump in the mountains then a bright colour should help you be seen should you have an incident and require rescue

I agree with this, and wanted to add that if you do a lot of urban style jumps (where low visibility is important) you can add the bright color by switching PCs to create a high visibility "tag" attached to a low visibility canopy.

Another good strategy for this is to use red, which is fairly visible in daylight, especially in a natural environment where it's not a common color, but which darkens up well at night (in low light conditions) for stealth.

blitzkrieg

Jul 5, 2018, 12:27 AM
Post #10 of 17 (748 views)
Shortcut

the center cell as a different color is pretty standard i think and like others have said, is probably the key thing to helping out, especially for someone with less experience.

that being said, i hate it. my canopies are either solid colors or asymmetrical designs. colored fabric or lines makes no difference to me during packing, but possible because i've done it a few thousand times. Tongue

stealth wise, the color isn't what will get you.

DFR

Jul 5, 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #11 of 17 (657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blitzkrieg] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

blitzkrieg wrote:
stealth wise, the color isn't what will get you.

Sure in an urban environment, although I will say if I jump with an all black canopy and my friend follows me off with all white canopy and we fuck up and get spotted by a cop, he’s gonna be the easier target and more likely to get busted.

But in a National Park for example I think your canopy color very much could get you busted. Most people won’t hear a canopy open in a big valley with the background noises of waterfalls, rock fall, dumpsters being emptied in the early morning, etc. But if you’re tracking and can’t pull low right over your LZ like in a wingsuit or happen to pull a bit higher, a grey with white and black canopy will disappear against the white first light sky and granite when an all red canopy could definitely catch the eye of the random ranger walking around who otherwise would have no idea you’re there.

epibase

Jul 5, 2018, 2:25 PM
Post #12 of 17 (636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DFR] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

watch out though, cause even with a grey/black canopy (trango2) rangers still recognize the sound of wingsuits/freefall and will come after you even without having 'seen' you..
it happened to a 'friend of mine' a few years ago. luckily the friend escaped.

BigfcknG

Jul 5, 2018, 7:55 PM
Post #13 of 17 (595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blitzkrieg] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. If you need a coloured centre cell then you should learn how to count as well. If you want to avoid detection jump when no one is around or asleep because the sound a canopy opening will negate any colour choices...

TomAiello

Jul 5, 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #14 of 17 (571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigfcknG] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a human. I make mistakes. I try to design my procedures (which includes my color choices) to minimize my mistakes.

I'll never be perfect. I try to take that into account when making plans and decisions.

flite

Jul 6, 2018, 5:01 AM
Post #15 of 17 (535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Color Choice of Gear For Practical Purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

Well said Tom - and for anyone who hasn't seen it , check out some wisdom from this guy
https://www.dopemagazine.com/...-jumping-trajectory/

DeimosRising

Jul 7, 2018, 2:33 PM
Post #16 of 17 (385 views)
Shortcut

The brighter and more unique the better. How else is that contiki girl who saw you open after a jump on high nose going to find you in the landing area.

gauleyguide

Jul 7, 2018, 5:54 PM
Post #17 of 17 (359 views)
Shortcut

I learned how to pack on a solid yellow canopy and I jump a solid black canopy. You shouldn’t depend on anything for packing except experience.

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media