Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Pilot Chute Mesh Fabric
Premier Sponsor:

Mar 8, 2018, 5:30 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Pilot Chute Mesh Fabric Can't Post

hi there!

parachutes are mostly build with P9 and P10 fabric. Does anbody know about the fabric of the mesh of the pilot chutes and where to buy? if possible lightweight large mesh fabric. google gives me not really good answers.

thx.

TomAiello

Mar 8, 2018, 7:33 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [6907] Pilot Chute Mesh Fabric [In reply to] Can't Post

Different manufacturers source their mesh from different companies, and I don't think there is a standard. Some of the manufacturers view this as a "trade secret" but others will just tell you where they get their materials.

If you only want to make a couple PCs, it's way easier to just contact a manufacturer and ask to buy some materials from them. Buying rolls of the material is far cheaper (and sometimes the only way to get them at all), and many manufacturers will sell you small quantities of the materials at a lower price than you'd be able to buy the materials generally.

bluhdow

Mar 8, 2018, 8:19 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1500 views)
Shortcut

Shoot an e-mail to todd@apexbase.com. He'd probably be willing to let some go as long as inventory allows.

ek1923

Mar 8, 2018, 9:11 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1482 views)
Shortcut

http://www.paragear.com/...ving/10000042/W9145/

Mar 9, 2018, 6:45 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ek1923] Pilot Chute Mesh Fabric [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you all! All what i needed.
Have a great weekend.

waltappel

Mar 12, 2018, 9:31 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1158 views)
Shortcut

Years ago I built some PCs and found that parachute manufacturers were quite willing to sell small quantities. As I recall, I settled on mesh used for making tandem drogues.

It's not just mesh hole size that matters, though. Most mesh tends to stretch more in one direction than another and that makes it kind of tricky to sew to ZP fabric if you don't have a walking foot sewing machine.

I talked with Todd Shoebotham about that back then and he told me he worked with a textile mill to develop some mesh that would stretch symmetrically. I have no clue whether he would be willing to sell small quantities but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Also, if you are going to make some BASE PCs, Moe Villeto wrote an article that appeared in (I think) the Fixed Object Journal many years ago. Thinking regarding BASE PCs has evolved a bit since then, but I doubt that the basics he presented have changed any.

I no longer have that article but it might be available somewhere on the net, or you could try contacting Nick DiGiovanni about it.

Walt

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media