Can I skip skydiving and get into base
Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jcspeedfly

Jan 23, 2018, 11:21 PM
Post #1 of 30 (2817 views)
Shortcut
Can I skip skydiving and get into base Can't Post

So I’m looking for an outside opinion, I want to get into base but only have a dozen skydives, I know what you’re all thinking... “get more Skydive’s in” but I wanna give a little more background, I’m a senior rigger in seat, back, chest and lap. I have well over 1000 speedflights and have a P4 Paragliding certification. So I’ve got plenty of canopy experience as well as packing. Do I have enough experience to skip the “200” Skydive’s and take an FJC?

climbing.simon

Jan 24, 2018, 12:59 AM
Post #2 of 30 (2792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jcspeedfly] Can I skip skydiving and get into base [In reply to] Can't Post

You've got enough experience to keep doing what you already know:

Pack parachutes and not jump them. It can be the coolest joirney of your life so why shortcut it?!

gharrop

Jan 24, 2018, 1:11 AM
Post #3 of 30 (2786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jcspeedfly] Can I skip skydiving and get into base [In reply to] Can't Post

jcspeedfly wrote:
So I’m looking for an outside opinion, I want to get into base but only have a dozen skydives, I know what you’re all thinking... “get more Skydive’s in” but I wanna give a little more background, I’m a senior rigger in seat, back, chest and lap. I have well over 1000 speedflights and have a P4 Paragliding certification. So I’ve got plenty of canopy experience as well as packing. Do I have enough experience to skip the “200” Skydive’s and take an FJC?

Seat, back, and chest I can believe. Lap rating with just 12 skydives, not so much.

hjumper33
Jan 24, 2018, 2:08 AM
Post #4 of 30 (2769 views)
Shortcut

You’re relatively new to the forum, but there is a common theme to a lot of “I want to start BASE jumping”.

Post goes as follows:

Hey I have (insert xyz special skill/talent/ability/experience) so I feel like I should be able to be able to more quickly/skip steps in the process of (BASE jump/aerial/wingsuit).

You’ll see a few people that will respond “go for it, i was a special flower too and it all worked out”, but most people will say “everyone thinks they’re special, you aren’t”. The reason you won’t see More people saying “yah just go for it, you’ll be fine” is that a lot of the time it doesn’t go that way, and a lot of those people either die or get hurt and quit. Skydiving is the most specific preparation you can do, and you seem to have done the hardest part already (unless you have 12 tandems). Spending 6 extra months jumping is cheap insurance against a double femur later.

In your specific situation, you have some canopy skills for sure, and you have experience in a sport that often kills/severely injures people. I’m sure as a speedflier, you’ve seen people that say “I have a few skydives, so I can fly a speedwing”, and then go destroy themselves. You have a good head start, but 12 Skydives really is basically nothing. Do 100 at least. Learn to track, learn to fly a super low performance wing. The money spend up front is cheap insurance against lost wages from a double femur. You’ll have plenty of time to sew then.

(This post was edited by hjumper33 on Jan 24, 2018, 2:13 AM)

Jan 24, 2018, 3:13 AM
Post #5 of 30 (2752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hjumper33] Can I skip skydiving and get into base [In reply to] Can't Post

And a couple of hours with windtunnel could not hurt either while you do your skydives!

cloudtramp

Jan 24, 2018, 6:20 AM
Post #6 of 30 (2717 views)
Shortcut

Yes, you can.

(This post was edited by cloudtramp on Jan 25, 2018, 7:09 AM)

TomAiello

Jan 24, 2018, 6:24 AM
Post #7 of 30 (2714 views)
Shortcut

The opening, and the 5 seconds after it, are statistically the most dangerous part of BASE.

How many openings have you had? If you can get on an opening simulator and run a couple hundred slow speed openings, it will help you _a lot_ when you start BASE.

TomAiello

Jan 24, 2018, 6:26 AM
Post #8 of 30 (2711 views)
Shortcut

If you're more of a video guy, here's one that one of my friends made:

https://www.youtube.com/...JImyWmghiSk&t=1s

I believe his answer was something like "sure you can do it, but you're gonna suck at it, and it's gonna hurt."

TomAiello

Jan 24, 2018, 6:32 AM
Post #9 of 30 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Flying a paraglider (or a skydiving canopy, honestly) is very different from flying a BASE canopy. You can actually build a lot of very bad habits at the DZ (and even more so flying paraglider and speed wings).

Do you have any time under a BASE canopy (or a BASE-like canopy--a large 7 cell F-111 parachute)?

TomAiello

Jan 24, 2018, 6:35 AM
Post #10 of 30 (2699 views)
Shortcut

What kind of BASE are you interested in? If you want to jump big walls and fly wing suits, the skydives are going to be even more critical, and shortcutting now will just lead you to frustration later on, when you have to go back to the DZ and learn terminal freewill skills.

For slider down, 200 skydives is an arbitrary number that someone, somewhere, basically just made up (based on the idea that you should be an "expert" skydiver, at a time when the "expert" skydiving license--the D license--required 200 skydives).

It's not about how many skydives you've made. It's about what skills you have developed during that time.

Don't fixate on a number. Work through a skills progression.

I've had students with 70 skydives who were well prepared, and students with 1000 skydives who weren't prepared at all.

I’ve attached two .pdf files. The first has recommendations for preparation, and the second is a set of canopy drills (to work through at the DZ). Use them as a guide to prepare, and also to evaluate your readiness for BASE (and for the fundamentals course).
Attachments: Recommended Preparation.pdf (142 KB)
  Canopy Drills.pdf (176 KB)

jcspeedfly

Jan 24, 2018, 9:05 AM
Post #11 of 30 (2650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Can I skip skydiving and get into base [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom thanks for the feedback, I’m based out of the western United States and have a few friends who are all into slider down stuff, and have taken an FJC so that's the direction I’ve been wanting to go. I knew by posting on here nobody would just say go for it and jump! But I do want to have a long base career so I figured that asking openly to the community rather than my buddies would give me a better idea. I also know that just by saying that I’ve done xyz doesn’t mean I’m ready. I’ll read through those attachments. Again thanks.

jcspeedfly

Jan 24, 2018, 9:10 AM
Post #12 of 30 (2647 views)
Shortcut

I actually have a simulator where I work, I’m a HALO rigger for the military, so I’ve been on that hundreds of times going over malfunctions and what not. Definitely is different in real life though.

Heat

Jan 24, 2018, 11:25 AM
Post #13 of 30 (2587 views)
Shortcut

Dude, skydiving can be so much fun! It will make you a way better base jumper and then guess what happens: you’ll have even more fun base jumping! Skydives are way cheaper than american hospital bills tooSmile

hookitt

Jan 24, 2018, 8:14 PM
Post #14 of 30 (2470 views)
Shortcut

TomAiello wrote:
If you're more of a video guy, here's one that one of my friends made:

https://www.youtube.com/...JImyWmghiSk&t=1s

I believe his answer was something like "sure you can do it, but you're gonna suck at it, and it's gonna hurt."

I enjoyed the very end of that video very much.

Skez

Jan 24, 2018, 9:42 PM
Post #15 of 30 (2450 views)
Shortcut

Stick to skydiving till u learn to hate all the rules regulations bullshit and skygod wankers etc ...then base will seem so much better lol....but seriously I ve seen ppl do BASE jumps with only cliff diving experience and ground launching experience on base style canopies they would be better at landing and dealing with low shit under canopy then most ppl at 200 Skydive’s ...but in saying that they really only are suitable for slider down jumps and as much as I hate to say it if your doing slider up shit u will need Skydive’s as u can’t track in a tunnel....

RayLosli

Jan 24, 2018, 11:53 PM
Post #16 of 30 (2408 views)
Shortcut

this right here what tom said . I had over a 1-k skydives when made my 1st BASE jump and it was a lot for my brain to take-in for 1st time .
A lot of people don't get it that want to start BASE but do have some skydives . Skydive - BASE . They share a lot of the same familiar mechanics, but at same time, they are totally different the moment you step off the exit .

seekfun

Jan 25, 2018, 7:21 AM
Post #17 of 30 (2316 views)
Shortcut

On my 128th skydive I fucked up my landing and earned myself 11 pieces of titanium and 3 weird vertebrae. That humbled me and made me focus much more on risk management and my attitude.

I had roughly 275 skydives when I made my first BASE jump, in a structured first jump course.

When I got home from the BASE course and reflected on it, my risk assessment conclusion was: I still don't have the canopy skills to do this safely.

I made another +/- 150 skydives before I went back to BASE.

(This post was edited by seekfun on Jan 25, 2018, 7:21 AM)

Flyslow

Jan 25, 2018, 1:24 PM
Post #18 of 30 (2210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [seekfun] Can I skip skydiving and get into base [In reply to] Can't Post

I made my first base jumps with 105 skydives at bridge day. I realized I was not at all ready and stuck to skydiving. 500 skydives later I took an actual FJC and have been happily jumping since. I still skydive all the time. Its worth spending the money and putting the time in...

iranianjumper

Jan 25, 2018, 2:17 PM
Post #19 of 30 (2194 views)
Shortcut

can you skip walking and get into marathon ?

try2live

Jan 28, 2018, 9:39 PM
Post #20 of 30 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Any Idiot can jump off an object, its what you do under canopy and within the first 5 seconds of opening that will make you "Competent Base Jumper". Just because you have the ability to pack, and use a wing that doesnt have anything to do with Base Jumping, doesnt mean you will be alright. On the contrary, it also probably wont matter. Just dont wingsuit, take a proper course, and limit yourself to 5 hits of acid prior to jumps and youll most likely be fineish.

desert1

Jan 29, 2018, 12:59 AM
Post #21 of 30 (1783 views)
Shortcut

i know a few people with less experience than you and all keep surviving, the experts keep dying......

it's better to be lucky than good.

enjoy.

Jan 29, 2018, 1:53 AM
Post #22 of 30 (1767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [desert1] Can I skip skydiving and get into base [In reply to] Can't Post

controversy

TomAiello

Jan 29, 2018, 7:04 AM
Post #23 of 30 (1697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [desert1] Can I skip skydiving and get into base [In reply to] Can't Post

desert1 wrote:
it's better to be lucky than good.

It's better to be both, actually. Wink

Seriously, though, BASE is all about working the odds. We're professional gamblers, we're just not gambling with money.

The best jumpers are the guys who stack the odds in their favor on every jump. They don't hit the jackpot on every hand--they just keep winning small and medium size hands year after year, perhaps with occasional jackpots. Their secret is that _every_ time they have a chance to stack the deck, or load the dice, they take it. The work every angle and every advantage to stack the odds in their favor.

At the end of the day we're all rolling the dice--it's the guy who's done the best job of loading the dice in his favor who comes out ahead in the long run.

nickgreen

Jan 29, 2018, 9:31 AM
Post #24 of 30 (1633 views)
Shortcut

The best way I've ever heard BASE described, love it!

maretus

Jan 29, 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #25 of 30 (1572 views)
Shortcut

jcspeedfly wrote:

The question you posted on the title is false or at least the answer to that question is super easy. If you really ask whether you CAN skip skydiving and get into BASE the answer is simple, of course you can. The question you should ask however is (and especially ask it from yourself) whether you WANT to do it. There is a general recommendation of having at least 200 skydives and it probably exists for a reason. Also any experienced and credible FJC will require you to have around 200´ish skydives, probably for a reason as well. If you think you´re better than that and you can ignore the general guidelines as they don´t apply to you, you´re free to buy yourself a rig and start hucking. No one will stop you there. People will probably advise you that it´s a bad idea but ultimately if you choose to ignore all the info that´s given to you, you CAN do it. It´s you and you alone that has to choose whether you WANT to do it. And that´s one of the beauties of BASE.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media