Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Line chaffe near DBS
Premier Sponsor:

tikiman

Jan 2, 2018, 8:19 AM
Post #1 of 17 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Line chaffe near DBS Can't Post

Anybody else get this happening near the DBS on a Slider down Specific rig. BlackJack 280 in a Perigee Container? Has about 100+/- jumps on it. Happening on both steering lines. Line integrity still OK to jump but if it progresses I think i'll change them out.

(This post was edited by tikiman on Jan 2, 2018, 8:34 AM)
Attachments: 1229172341b.jpg (106 KB)
  1229172341a.jpg (86.2 KB)
  1229172340.jpg (88.8 KB)
  1229172340a.jpg (106 KB)

TomAiello

Jan 2, 2018, 8:39 AM
Post #2 of 17 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tikiman] Line chaffe near DBS [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty normal wear.

It surprises me that you've had that much in 100 jumps, but if you're regularly going past 3, or weight more than 200, it seems pretty standard.

Do you pre-tension your lines after you set the brakes?

bm1

Jan 2, 2018, 8:40 AM
Post #3 of 17 (1050 views)
Shortcut

It happens to me at the toggle end of the eye. If those were my brake lines I would change them.

tikiman

Jan 2, 2018, 8:47 AM
Post #4 of 17 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Line chaffe near DBS [In reply to] Can't Post

Im 205lbs and I always pre-tension. Just started to show about 20 jumps ago. I assumed the lines were getting stuck on velcro post landing when stuffing into stash bag. I already have replacement lines just gonna wear these out a bit more as they are within my integrity threshold to keep jumping. Just curious if it was a common issue or not...

AntoineLaporte

Jan 2, 2018, 9:22 AM
Post #5 of 17 (1022 views)
Shortcut

I think that the sewing should go to the real connection between the 2 and not stop before like on the other side of this setting, it would make it stronger IMO.

Fledgling

Jan 2, 2018, 10:52 AM
Post #6 of 17 (991 views)
Shortcut

TomAiello wrote:
It surprises me that you've had that much in 100 jumps, but if you're regularly going past 3, or weight more than 200, it seems pretty standard.

I've had lines totally destroyed in 20 jumps and others last hundreds. Dying lines does funny things and there is no real way a manufacturer can effectively test every inch of line for integrity (despite what they may claim).

AZcevuchar

Jan 2, 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #7 of 17 (980 views)
Shortcut

At deployment both of your brake lines are getting cut into from the toggle keeper above the guide rings. Reason been is the tape used is creating a sharp/stiff knife like edge that is not Dacron line friendly at deployment. This problem right here is the reason some manufactures use spandex keepers instead of tape, so that you no longer have an edge cutting into your brake line.

tikiman

Jan 2, 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #8 of 17 (977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AZcevuchar] Line chaffe near DBS [In reply to] Can't Post

My keepers are spandex but still not sure how that would cause line damage...

ek1923

Jan 2, 2018, 12:48 PM
Post #9 of 17 (954 views)
Shortcut

Had this kind of wear which started showing up on both sides after about 50 SD jumps on a brand new canopy to the point where a full carrier was broken through on one side after ~70 jumps. I pretensioned the brakes every time I packed, delays were 1-3 s mostly and exit weight is 175 lb.

Edit: Exit weight is relevant not WL

(This post was edited by ek1923 on Jan 2, 2018, 12:56 PM)

tikiman

Jan 2, 2018, 2:01 PM
Post #10 of 17 (931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ek1923] Line chaffe near DBS [In reply to] Can't Post

ek1923 wrote:
Had this kind of wear which started showing up on both sides after about 50 SD jumps on a brand new canopy to the point where a full carrier was broken through on one side after ~70 jumps. I pretensioned the brakes every time I packed, delays were 1-3 s mostly and exit weight is 175 lb.

Edit: Exit weight is relevant not WL

What was your fix? Did it keep happening?

ek1923

Jan 2, 2018, 3:17 PM
Post #11 of 17 (909 views)
Shortcut

I changed the lowers but have only put 6 SD jumps on that canopy since so I can't say yet.. But then I got set up to make them so next time it will cost less than $10, plus my time which I don't mind.

Fledgling

Jan 3, 2018, 9:22 PM
Post #12 of 17 (734 views)
Shortcut

AZcevuchar wrote:
At deployment both of your brake lines are getting cut into from the toggle keeper above the guide rings. Reason been is the tape used is creating a sharp/stiff knife like edge that is not Dacron line friendly at deployment. This problem right here is the reason some manufactures use spandex keepers instead of tape, so that you no longer have an edge cutting into your brake line.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say this most likely isn't his problem based on my assumption that the wear resembles the wear to the catseye from the LRM on each deployment. Hence people suggesting to pre-tension the control line.

AntoineLaporte

Jan 5, 2018, 2:26 PM
Post #13 of 17 (555 views)
Shortcut

A way to not have this problem is to set un the brakes likes Squirrel does on the Ibex (and maybe other canopies.
I would have a hard time to describe it in english but mainly the toggle is in a loop instead of being between the lines.

See the attached file.

I think you have to make them with microlines to have the double inside line fit into the braking line.
Attachments: Brakes setup.png (5.34 KB)

TomAiello

Jan 5, 2018, 3:21 PM
Post #14 of 17 (546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] Line chaffe near DBS [In reply to] Can't Post

We've gone to the Squirrel Style brake settings whenever we replace lowers on the school gear.

AntoineLaporte

Jan 5, 2018, 4:05 PM
Post #15 of 17 (539 views)
Shortcut

Microlines for the loop ?

TomAiello

Jan 5, 2018, 5:15 PM
Post #16 of 17 (522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] Line chaffe near DBS [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. We are using 725 spectra. So far the only downside is a little more "bump" when the setting passes the keeper ring during the flare (which doesn't matter at all if you're outside the rings), and the durability is much, much better. We have yet to replace any of them--so far it looks like they will have a practically unlimited service life.

c_dog

Jan 5, 2018, 7:28 PM
Post #17 of 17 (496 views)
Shortcut

Tom- could you post a couple of pictures if you have a chance?

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media