Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines
Premier Sponsor:

kiss_the_sky

Dec 6, 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #1 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut
Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines Can't Post

Just wanted some opinions , the original lines on my canopy were just set to length with lots of excess. For the longest time I just set my toggles to where it felt best for deep brakes and flare and tied a bunch of knots to mitigate the excess. 98% of my jumps were slider down, but I've been doing some S/U lately so I finger trapped my lines to remove the excess line as well as mainly so I could re-install my WLO toggles. My long winded question is, I do not have access to a sewing machine to run a bartack or straight stitch to help secure the finger trap. As I don't want to tie a knot ( to prevent a knot hang-up in the Guide rings in the event I have to release the toggles) would it be suitable to just jump them configured as is? The excess of the finger trap runs a good 5-6 inches back inside the line.

Cheers,

- Rick

(This post was edited by kiss_the_sky on Dec 6, 2017, 1:29 PM)

OLopez

Dec 6, 2017, 1:30 PM
Post #2 of 12 (955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kiss_the_sky] Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

You can do this (attached, too big to embed)
google for 'no sew fingertrap', or alternatively 'locking eye splice' for more options

ETA: And just cut the excess off...?

(This post was edited by OLopez on Dec 6, 2017, 2:30 PM)
Attachments: Stitchless finger Trap_Page_1.jpg (465 KB)
  Stitchless finger Trap_Page_2.jpg (89.1 KB)

benbarclay

Dec 6, 2017, 3:07 PM
Post #3 of 12 (919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kiss_the_sky] Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

I would put a few manual tacks in the line with a needle and thread for my own peace of mind. The finger trap should not move under load if you didn't tack it but the extra safety provided by a few stitches i wouldn't
gamble without a few stitches..

TomAiello

Dec 6, 2017, 3:29 PM
Post #4 of 12 (908 views)
Shortcut

Just hand tack them with a needle and thread. If you have enough line finger trapped in there, the sewing is just to prevent it sliding around when it's not under tension.

Fledgling

Dec 6, 2017, 6:53 PM
Post #5 of 12 (866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OLopez] Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

OLopez wrote:
google for 'no sew fingertrap',

I doubt this would be possible with heavy dacron. And if it was it would be a pretty shitty version of the No Sew. Works great on thin lines though.

TomAiello

Dec 6, 2017, 9:13 PM
Post #6 of 12 (843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fledgling] Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done it on heavy dacron. It works in a pinch, but in this application it wouldn't really be a good idea, because you're still in the process of adjusting the brakes and finding a new toggle setting, and the 'no sew' won't let you do any more adjustments.

AntoineLaporte

Dec 7, 2017, 12:23 AM
Post #7 of 12 (796 views)
Shortcut

As some others I would do it by hand.
If you have the normal minimum 7-8cm trapped the sewing is just here to maintain it in place when you do not have tension on it.

OLopez

Dec 7, 2017, 9:33 AM
Post #8 of 12 (700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fledgling] Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Fledgling wrote:
OLopez wrote:
google for 'no sew fingertrap',

I doubt this would be possible with heavy dacron. And if it was it would be a pretty shitty version of the No Sew. Works great on thin lines though.

It does work on dacron, it's not pretty and it takes a bunch of massaging the line, but it does the job.

Tom is right though. Once it's in and set it's not coming back out

(This post was edited by OLopez on Dec 7, 2017, 9:36 AM)

flite

Dec 10, 2017, 7:39 AM
Post #9 of 12 (436 views)
Shortcut

Anyone ever tried superglue ?

base283

Dec 10, 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #10 of 12 (402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flite] Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Super glue only glues flesh. Just try needle and thread (dental floss, fishing line. Google "backstitch" (handsewn) for the stitch. Or #B, Find the optimum toggle setting length for slider up, bartack it and just do an extra loop over the back of the toggle for using the slider off/down LRM. Will post photos if needed. Note; I am not sure if this will work on WLO toggles. Maybe having a 2nd set of toggles for SD is better with this last method.

take care,
space

(This post was edited by base283 on Dec 11, 2017, 2:39 AM)
Attachments: basic-hand-stitches-6-638.jpg (74.3 KB)

rushchaser

Dec 11, 2017, 7:55 AM
Post #11 of 12 (283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base283] Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Space,

Would you please post a photo of this, I don't quite understand what you mean by the extra loop over the back of the toggle?

base283 wrote:
do an extra loop over the back of the toggle for using the slider off/down LRM

base283

Dec 11, 2017, 11:01 AM
Post #12 of 12 (247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rushchaser] Not Bartacking Fingertrapped Steering Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Here ya go.
Take care,
space
Attachments: DSC04074-min-min.JPG (259 KB)
  DSC04075-min-min.JPG (444 KB)
  DSC04076-min-min.JPG (165 KB)

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media