Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles)
Premier Sponsor:

ksandr

Oct 17, 2017, 8:54 AM
Post #1 of 25 (7809 views)
Shortcut
Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) Can't Post

Hey guys, I've made one feature on Skyderby - you can view your flight profiles and "place" it to some exit. I need your help to make it better.

If you have laser measurements of some exit, please send me it's name, coordinates and measurements like:
Altitude, Distance
50, 10
150, 20

Thank you.

See it in action: https://skyderby.ru/.../655/flight_profiles
Screenshot:

(This post was edited by ksandr on Oct 17, 2017, 8:56 AM)
Attachments: flight_profiles.png (59.2 KB)

base570

Oct 17, 2017, 9:06 AM
Post #2 of 25 (7791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ksandr] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

nice!

TomAiello

Oct 17, 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #3 of 25 (7738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ksandr] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

You should ask Platypii.

I think his BASEline software has a similar function, so he might have a database he could share with you.

ksandr

Oct 17, 2017, 1:20 PM
Post #4 of 25 (7677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see this function in BASEline, there is another cool feature - relocate track to specified coordinates and view it in Google Earth.

I've seen this function in app called FlySafe, but I don't know who is the author.

P.S. If anyone needs API to access this data from Skyderby - send me a message, we'll manage it shortly.

(This post was edited by ksandr on Oct 17, 2017, 1:24 PM)

BASE1817

Oct 17, 2017, 1:25 PM
Post #5 of 25 (7673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

Whats thta BASEline software you speak of?

ksandr

Oct 17, 2017, 1:52 PM
Post #6 of 25 (7666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BASE1817] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

https://baseline.ws/

BASE1817

Oct 17, 2017, 2:36 PM
Post #7 of 25 (7643 views)
Shortcut

Thank you!

platypii

Oct 17, 2017, 8:34 PM
Post #8 of 25 (7571 views)
Shortcut

I have an exit profile database as a beta feature in BASEline, available to known jumpers (PM me).

However, I haven't made it publicly available because I can't verify all the data myself. I know that FlySafe and maybe now SkyDerby are making these available, but to me it seems risky to outsource that kind of decision making. The worst case scenario is that a laser measurement OVER estimates a start profile, and someone goes in because of it.

setarkos

Oct 15, 2018, 6:24 AM
Post #9 of 25 (1822 views)
Shortcut

ksandr wrote:
relocate track to specified coordinates and view it in Google Earth.

Where and how can you do this?

My current method with GoogleEarth and Excel is tedious.

platypii

Oct 15, 2018, 9:12 AM
Post #10 of 25 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [setarkos] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

setarkos wrote:
ksandr wrote:
relocate track to specified coordinates and view it in Google Earth.

Where and how can you do this?

Upload your GPS track to https://baseline.ws

Then you can click the button to relocate track data

Choose your destination

And you'll get a google earth KML file that looks like:

Which shows where you would be able to fly assuming the same flight performance as the uploaded track. It does this by showing a cylindrical rotation of your track data, centered on the exit point. This shows what would happen if you flew in different directions from exit.
Attachments: relocate1.png (5.29 KB)
  relocate2.png (54.7 KB)
  relocate3.jpg (307 KB)

setarkos

Oct 15, 2018, 12:58 PM
Post #11 of 25 (1707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [platypii] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome, thanks!

Is there a way to rotate this around the exit point? Such that the flight path is going in the right direction?

(This post was edited by setarkos on Oct 15, 2018, 1:26 PM)

platypii

Oct 15, 2018, 2:30 PM
Post #12 of 25 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [setarkos] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

setarkos wrote:
Is there a way to rotate this around the exit point? Such that the flight path is going in the right direction?

Actually yes but it's a hidden feature.

In the relocate track pop up, enter the destination, but instead of clicking "Open in Google Earth", right click that button and copy the link like:

https://baseline.ws/tracks/7892b9f6-c844-4e02-ad7f-00b8ab4f1cec/kmz/translate?lat=45.9339&lon=6.8379&alt=2525

Add a rotation parameter to the end of the url:

https://baseline.ws/tracks/7892b9f6-c844-4e02-ad7f-00b8ab4f1cec/kmz/translate?lat=45.9339&lon=6.8379&alt=2525&rot=90

Will rotate by 90 degrees. Cheers!

setarkos

Oct 15, 2018, 2:45 PM
Post #13 of 25 (1669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [platypii] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sweet!

OLopez

Oct 16, 2018, 12:53 AM
Post #14 of 25 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Love your work. Since we are on it, would you know a couple of google earth 'tricks' to work around a couple of relatively annoying issues? Got to say, those issues are not with your program which works beautifully, but with Google Earth itself.

Is it possible to copy the lat/lon from google earth to sort of copy and paste to bring the location into baseline, or is the only way to hover on GE, writing down in a piece of paper, and then type it in Baseline?

And is there a way to just drag the exit point in GE to finesse the location instead of having to write it all down again and go back to BL to do a new file?

Thanks a lot of your work Wink

setarkos

Oct 16, 2018, 2:41 AM
Post #15 of 25 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OLopez] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

OLopez wrote:
Is it possible to copy the lat/lon from google earth to sort of copy and paste to bring the location into baseline, or is the only way to hover on GE, writing down in a piece of paper, and then type it in Baseline?

A little faster and without paper: Add new placemark in GE, copy coordinates to the basline-kmz-generator.
To get decimal coords in GE: Tools>Options>3D View>Show Lat/Long
Dragging and rotating in GE would be nice but I think it's not possible with GE.

@platypii
1. Is there a way to quickly quantify the margin? As in height over ground?
Fastest way I've found so far is to create an elevation profile of the Flight Path got to 2D view and individually compare path altitude to ground-altitude.

2. Is there a way to straighten out a flight path and the solid of revolution (sombrero)?

(This post was edited by setarkos on Oct 16, 2018, 2:43 AM)

platypii

Oct 16, 2018, 1:02 PM
Post #16 of 25 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Yea I'll often add a placemark, and then read the coordinates from that. It also helps if you set the lat/long to display "decimal degrees".

As for the height, if you want exact info then you'll probably need to look at the Flight Profile chart on the website, and compare to a known laser measurement. If you want to just see roughly what it looks like versus google earth terrain (which is NOT always accurate), then the best way is to use the "Flight Height" that is included with generated googleearth files:

Attachments: coords.png (78.4 KB)
  height.jpg (290 KB)

setarkos

Oct 16, 2018, 1:23 PM
Post #17 of 25 (1484 views)
Shortcut

platypii wrote:
As for the height, if you want exact info then you'll probably need to look at the Flight Profile chart on the website, and compare to a known laser measurement. If you want to just see roughly what it looks like versus google earth terrain (which is NOT always accurate), then the best way is to use the "Flight Height" that is included with generated googleearth files:

Yeah, I saw that - was just wondering if you can get the actual height above ground at a given point. But you're right of course regarding the reliability of GE elevation data and hence quantifying it in such a way is misleading at best.

I love the feature though! It's great to just get a rough idea whether a given exit might go. To be confirmed by laser data of course.

BodeyM

Oct 16, 2018, 1:30 PM
Post #18 of 25 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Has anyone played with something like DroneDeploy to try and get higher resolution elevation data for a line?

platypii

Oct 16, 2018, 4:40 PM
Post #19 of 25 (1453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BodeyM] Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

BodeyM wrote:
Has anyone played with something like DroneDeploy to try and get higher resolution elevation data for a line?

This is a super interesting idea. If someone maps an exit point with it, please make the data available!

OLopez

Oct 16, 2018, 5:39 PM
Post #20 of 25 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Re: Collecting exit measurements (mountain profiles) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sweet. Thanks guys, that's much easier

setarkos

Oct 17, 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #21 of 25 (1354 views)
Shortcut

It looks like the rotational surface that baseline produces for GE is the flight path rotated around the exit point, right?

Would it be possible to make a rotational surface of a hypothetical straight flight by taking elevation lost vs horizontal distance traveled similar to FlySafe?

platypii

Oct 17, 2018, 11:54 AM
Post #22 of 25 (1347 views)
Shortcut

I've been thinking about adding that as an option to the Flight Profile to "unroll" the track distance.

The reason I am hesistant, is that it will OVERestimate your real world performance. If you sum the total flight distance, measuring errors and slight deviations in flight path will cause the path to appear longer than what you could actually clear in reality. Doing the straight line "distance from exit" will never overestimate your performance, so it seems safer as a baseline.

setarkos

Oct 17, 2018, 12:41 PM
Post #23 of 25 (1342 views)
Shortcut

I'd say you already have a slight underestimation since a non-straight flight path has performance losses due to flying turns already - so you still have a bias in the conservative direction. All other inaccuracies could go either way.

wasatchrider

Oct 18, 2018, 6:59 AM
Post #24 of 25 (1255 views)
Shortcut

platypii wrote:
Yea I'll often add a placemark, and then read the coordinates from that. It also helps if you set the lat/long to display "decimal degrees".

looks supergorgeous

Jumpz3r

Nov 27, 2018, 7:14 PM
Post #25 of 25 (411 views)
Shortcut

Nice idea

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media