Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Beginners:
Canopy selection to prepare for BASE
Premier Sponsor:

Lethal82

Sep 21, 2017, 8:28 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Canopy selection to prepare for BASE Can't Post

I'm planning on doing a first jump course around this time next year. I currently have 170 skydives and should be at 300+ by then.

I was considering downsizing to a sabre 170 however my container also fits a silhouette 230.

My question is, is it worth upsizing to a 230 9 celled canopy to prepare for base or is there still a significant difference compared to a larger 7 cell canopy?

eUrNiCc

Sep 21, 2017, 8:50 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lethal82] Canopy selection to prepare for BASE [In reply to] Can't Post

You ought to be able to find a Raven 1 (180) or Raven 2 (220) for around $300 somewhere. Ravens were heavily used as skydiving mains and reserves back in the 80's and they were common as base canopies before the first wave of base specific canopies (Mojo/FOX).

msk

Sep 21, 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1677 views)
Shortcut

Hi, mate!

If you are in Vic, I welcome you to try my 7-cell ZP Triathlon 210 setup. It's similarities to BASE canopy has been dwelled upon here:

http://www.basejumper.com/...ng=Triathlon;#957770

I went into BASE with lower skydive numbers than you have now and my hope was that learning to skydive on this 7-cell setup would contribute to learning how to pilot a BASE canopy. What I discovered through trial and error was that while there are definite similarities, there are big difference in object avoidance canopy handling. In particular, the amount of force required to put the canopy into a near-stall configuration was vastly different.

Beneficial similarities I found were:

+ accuracy landing -- the Triathlon 210 handles quite similar to my Flick in terms of building a landing approach, etc. With wing loading adjustments, etc.

+ packs similar to base :)

+ more time in the air -- if you are into that kind of thing -- I could have downsized to a handkerchief like many kids do, but flying this docile, flat, slow canopy is something I actually and honestly enjoy and have no desire to downsize.

+ Triathlon 210 has different trim to my Flick, yet, it can also fly backwards (well, it kind of collapses backwards, can't really call it "flying", but you get the idea). Getting it to do it requires somewhat of a different technique which becomes apparent when you try it on both canopies but knowing the difference, you can kind of practice stalling it and backing away. Almost.

Can't really think of any other benefits.

If anything, jumping this "almost like BASE canopy" setup gave me somewhat of a false sense of confidence. I practices "turn around" drills on it till my head was spinning but when I eventually opened into a cliff and did exactly the same thing on a Flick that I practised on a Triathlon 210, the Flick would not turn quick enough, resulting in a brush with a cliff (I still turned it 90 degrees, but clipped the rock -- no injuries, but very, very painful and uncomfy experience). I suppose that was better than nothing because if I would have hit head on, I probably would not be here. So there is your anecdotal benefits assessment :)

For me personally, I would have been better off doing an off-heading avoidance course on a bridge vs. self-learning using a Triathlon. But that's me and my mindset and learning ability might be different to yours. For me, in order to learn turning a canopy, I need to dissect the process into tiny segments and have precise understanding of everything down to manufacturing techniques of the suspension lines. Other kids "just get it" by pulling on things -- I am not one of those.

And finally: there is a tool for every trade. If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail :) S/D canopies are for jumping out of planes and BASE canopies are for BASE :) Get whatever is fun for you in the sky and just do lots of bridge jumps on a BASE canopy to practice whatever it is you need to work on.

If you still want to try my monster, PM me!

(This post was edited by msk on Sep 21, 2017, 10:29 PM)

Lethal82

Sep 21, 2017, 11:58 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1647 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msk] Canopy selection to prepare for BASE [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey mate,

I appreciate the detailed response, thats the info i was after.

I am in vic actually, however based on your experience i think it might be better to continue with my own setup then perhaps a month or two before i do a first jump course i might do some hop and pops with an actual base canopy.

Cheers.

MrAW

Sep 22, 2017, 4:24 AM
Post #5 of 15 (1590 views)
Shortcut

I would go to a 7 cell if you can. And no point downsizing to a 9 cell at this point.
I have an X228 that I could sell you for $100 if you're interested, it's a F111 7 cell from back in the day and packed up nicely in my container made for a 190.
I used it as a skydiving main for 20 jumps to prepare before my FJC, doing mainly wingsuit. Worked fine but didn't have much flare - less than any BASE canopy I've used. But it did get me used to the handling of a large F111 7 cell which really helped.

I also did some hop and pops on my actual BASE canopy to further prepare.

I definitely recommend at least doing the latter before you go.

Lethal82

Sep 22, 2017, 6:19 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrAW] Canopy selection to prepare for BASE [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the offer. I will definitely do some hop and pops with an actual base canopy beforehand. Given that, probably not alot of point doing jumps on a smaller 7 cell F111 in between. Im guessing i will be jumping a 280-300 as i weight 90kgs.

idemallie
Sep 22, 2017, 10:42 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1430 views)
Shortcut

I skydive a Raven III and love the setup I have. It has a tailpocket on it, so I don't even use a bag. I prefer to do a BASE packjob on every jump, but if I'm in a hurry I just pro pack and z fold into the container.

goinin

Sep 28, 2017, 1:28 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Get a Raven and throw that in your skydive rig. I have over 50 BASE jumps on a Raven 3, Ive ski BASED a Raven, done static line jumps with it tards and roll overs. Great transition canopy and like others have said on here you can get one for around 300 bucks

base283

Oct 4, 2017, 5:49 AM
Post #9 of 15 (886 views)
Shortcut

Why donīt you get the BASE canopy that you will be jumping. Are there laws against you jumping a BASE canopy from an aircraft in your country?
Take care,
space.

hookitt

Oct 8, 2017, 4:43 PM
Post #10 of 15 (607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base283] Canopy selection to prepare for BASE [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not very cost effective to sky jump your BASE canopy more than a few times. I sure wouldn't want to wear out my expensive BASE canopy skydiving when cheaper used 7 cell canopies will do the trick just fine.

TomAiello

Oct 8, 2017, 5:29 PM
Post #11 of 15 (593 views)
Shortcut

You can find used Mojos around here in the $500-$1000 range that would work great.

base283

Oct 9, 2017, 7:18 AM
Post #12 of 15 (526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hookitt] Canopy selection to prepare for BASE [In reply to] Can't Post

Hookit, It can be very cost effective to learn how to land in a tight spot on a canopy that you will use to land in tight spots IMHO.
Take care,
space

epibase

Oct 11, 2017, 6:07 PM
Post #13 of 15 (361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base283] Canopy selection to prepare for BASE [In reply to] Can't Post

i jump a pd193 seven cell f111 for my ws skydives.
it has a tail pocket, mesh slider, and i freepack it in the container.
with a good flare i open softly at subterminal speeds.
it flies like a base canopy but you wont stay up in the air as long as if you were under a 240 or somethin

DrewEckhardt

Oct 11, 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #14 of 15 (333 views)
Shortcut

Lethal82 wrote:
I was considering downsizing to a sabre 170 however my container also fits a silhouette 230.

My question is, is it worth upsizing to a 230 9 celled canopy to prepare for base or is there still a significant difference compared to a larger 7 cell canopy?

No, there's a significant difference.

When you add toggle to modern skydiving designs, the glide flattens until just short of a stall.

Adding toggle to a BASE/Accuracy canopy, the approach gets steeper even in zero wind, dropping from ~2:1 in full flight to 1:1 at 2/3 brakes.

AJ.Stuyvenberg

Oct 12, 2017, 1:34 PM
Post #15 of 15 (278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Canopy selection to prepare for BASE [In reply to] Can't Post

The MOJO is still arguably a great option for BASE
:)

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register