Jumping an old packjob
Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

artemiy

Aug 27, 2017, 6:38 PM
Post #1 of 30 (5247 views)
Shortcut
Jumping an old packjob Can't Post

Just wondering if having my Troll packed for a month and going with if to a 110 m antena is ok?
In theory staying packed for long does affect the opening, and it woudnt be a question if I kept it in a garage durring winter, but since i keep my rig inside and it summertime, how does a month-old packjob affect a 110 m (360ft) solid object?
Sorry for a question that may seem stupid for some jumpers, but this is what i am thinkig about right now (being lazy to repack that awesomly perfect packjob) Wink

ek1923

Aug 27, 2017, 6:45 PM
Post #2 of 30 (5242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [artemiy] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/...RwYdqwIQ&t=2m27s

e.a.hernandez

Aug 27, 2017, 6:57 PM
Post #3 of 30 (5232 views)
Shortcut

I have seen a jumper leave a Mojo packed for months, climb a 320 ft antenna and do a free fall without any issues. I would not be concerned. But if you are not sure and this will distract you at the exit then just open it and pack it again. Also check the incident forums... I am pretty sure people are not getting hurt and dying from old pack jobs Wink

GreenMachine

Aug 27, 2017, 6:57 PM
Post #4 of 30 (5230 views)
Shortcut
I love my Trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

1 month is not long enough to slow your opening.

Have a good jump! Cool

base283

Aug 27, 2017, 7:16 PM
Post #5 of 30 (5213 views)
Shortcut

You have what is called rigging phobia. correct this and we can speak. we can speak.
PM me.
take care,
space

artemiy

Aug 27, 2017, 7:37 PM
Post #6 of 30 (5203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base283] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

base283 wrote:
You have what is called rigging phobia.

I wouldn't call my concerns about unknown (by me) factors a phobia, but yes, low solids do scare me BIG TIME! Tongue
How can I correct it? I guess by jumping them?
I seen a guy jumping this A stowed, I jumped it PCA and now wanna go handheld. An I probably will be alone at the object apart from a driver who will be waiting in a car.
So yes I'm a bit worried and want to eliminate all the doubts before I climb it.
I'm probably overstressed about it but that is my nature Crazy
Thanks everyone for their response!

artemiy

Aug 27, 2017, 7:38 PM
Post #7 of 30 (5200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ek1923] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha! That is exactly what I wanted to hear!! CoolCool

BASE1817

Aug 27, 2017, 11:13 PM
Post #8 of 30 (5135 views)
Shortcut

I've had a rig packed for over 16 months. Opened beautifully!

base283

Aug 28, 2017, 9:24 AM
Post #9 of 30 (5012 views)
Shortcut

Low solids are nasty. unless you open low over the LZ and having a 180 that doesnt matter because your glide angle wont allow you to achieve an Object strike.
My advice is to be confident at about the rigging. If you have fear, you will be taking it with you in FF and not have fun.
To me, life is cooler than doing a bad jump.
I personally never jump a rig if i dont know or forgot my pack job. It is an amazing skill to remember a pack job after 2weeks IMHO. But there is no better feeling than being confident on the exit point about the rigging. Dial that in and have fun concentration on the tech of the the flight plan. I hope this helps.
Why do you not jump it on a more forgiving object? how much money would you spend in case of fractures to the body? It could be beneficial monetarily to travel and do a safer test on the pack job jump. Or, just do a "fukit jump"
Take care,
space

TomAiello

Aug 28, 2017, 9:31 AM
Post #10 of 30 (5006 views)
Shortcut

I would be willing to jump a pack job that had been (carefully) stored for a month.

But still, my best advice is:

If you're not sure, become sure. Whatever it takes. Repacking is a small price to pay for confidence in your gear.

BASE1817

Aug 28, 2017, 3:37 PM
Post #11 of 30 (4910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

Never waste a packjob!

Laugh

basehoundsam

Aug 28, 2017, 6:56 PM
Post #12 of 30 (4863 views)
Shortcut

I've jumped a few slider down pack jobs that were 2-4 years old..... at the bridge . Beautiful on heading snappy opening.
Having said that, I would jump jack shit that hadn't been packed recently if there was any need of heading performance...

artemiy

Aug 28, 2017, 8:08 PM
Post #13 of 30 (4839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base283] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

Its not like i dont trust or dont remember packjob. My concern was that the canopy had been packed for a month. My common sense told me there shouldnt be a problem ( like it would be if I had my 46' PC packed for so long) So i decided to share my doubts and see what others have experienced. I never jumped packjob older than a few days.
Regarding this particular packjob - I am very confident about it and dont really need to remember it. I packed it for this exact object and re-packed again to be sure it perfect. Then I got busted and didnt jump.
Now I want to complete what I started MadTongue But you may be right - seeing the canopy and remembering the packjob may be very helpfull at the exit. I may consider repack, I can make it perfect again.
Techicaly I'm pretty sure I can make it. I jumped the object before. Once. I did good.
If I wasnt sure in the packjob, I wouldnt jump it even on a "fukit jump".
Since I had more than a month break since my last jump, I gonna go to a trampoline gym couple of times to warm up and to get confident I do a nice stable exit.
My city is seismic so no high structures, no cliffs, just these two and a couple of 23 stores bldngs with easy access but shitty LZ.
Traveling is the plan for next summer but I need to get more jumps in.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Attachments: IMG_20170827_170259.jpg (506 KB)

base570

Aug 28, 2017, 8:19 PM
Post #14 of 30 (4832 views)
Shortcut

artemiy wrote:
Since I had more than a month break since my last jump, I gonna go to a trampoline gym couple of times to warm up and to get confident I do a nice stable exit.
My city is seismic so no high structures, no cliffs, just these two and a couple of 23 stores bldngs with easy access but shitty LZ.
Traveling is the plan for next summer but I need to get more jumps in.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Those are 2 nice objects. they look great to practice from, however I would stay away from taking a trampoline up there to exit off of. Tongue

piisfish

Aug 29, 2017, 7:15 AM
Post #15 of 30 (4703 views)
Shortcut

Are you sure it is packed in the correct configuration? ( slider, brake setting, PC)

try2live

Sep 28, 2017, 8:35 PM
Post #16 of 30 (4086 views)
Shortcut

I dont think much will happen as long as the rig has been sitting in one place and not being thrown in and out of a truck or something. My personal unscientific opinion is what when you have a rig packed for a while, it basically gets fold memory, and will stay together better while deployment is happening causing a cleaner opening. If you pack on a nice hot day in moab, your canopy is a loose pile of garbage if you jump right after you pack. If its been packed for a month (not jostled around) when it comes out it should stay nice and neat. I dont think it would have any affect on opening speed either.

BASE1029

Sep 29, 2017, 2:07 AM
Post #17 of 30 (4033 views)
Shortcut

I have jumped some pretty old pack jobs in my time, one or two that have been packed for a couple of years. I would add to this that I obviously checked they were set in the correct slider up/down configuration, however I did also pack them myself. The jumps were from forgiving objects and go and throw jumps.

The openings where a tiny bit slower than I would have expected and some of the jumpers on the load said the packjobs looked lke they stayed folded for longer than expected, but all opened fine with no dramas.

However one thing I would point out is that on packing the canopies the primary stow bungies were really dry and dusty , like they had dried out in the packjob and they fell apart when I went to use them, so I had to replace it along with the ones I used on the C line attachment point for slider up.

cloudtramp

Sep 29, 2017, 4:34 PM
Post #18 of 30 (3905 views)
Shortcut

I wouldn't consider a month an old pack job but like others said if in doubt why not just repack it?

weathergirl
UK Pro BASE
Oct 4, 2017, 1:17 AM
Post #19 of 30 (3643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cloudtramp] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

In the mid-80's I jumped three military rounds that had been packed in 1956. LL-C9's in diapered sleeves, SL. They had been loft-stored dry and externally looked fine. They all opened nicely and worked well. The openings themselves all felt ok if a little "snappier" than usual. I have no idea why that might be.
I got out a bit higher than usual in case of disaster but there were no issues and I landed them all, no reserve rides.

skow

Oct 17, 2017, 5:27 AM
Post #20 of 30 (3293 views)
Shortcut

In many countries skydiving reserve has to be repacked once a year.

Of course this is in skydiving where you have more altitude and heading performance is not so critical - but still even after a year being packed a reserve has to open according to strict regulations e.g. about altitude loss.

Something to think about :)

TransientCW

Nov 2, 2017, 8:26 PM
Post #21 of 30 (1660 views)
Shortcut

i frefell a 250' power tower with a velcro rig that had a raven packed in it for well over a year. im fine ;)

Skez

Nov 9, 2017, 9:17 PM
Post #22 of 30 (1287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TransientCW] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

I pulled and Old rig out that I left for atleast a year or so....ants decided to make it there main nest......full of dirt and ants...there could be any number of reasons not to jump an old as fuck pack job ...from packed damp to melted rubber bands etc to fucking annoying fucking ants ...or just is it slider up or slider down....seen a vid of someone going terminal slider down

BigfcknG

Nov 10, 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #23 of 30 (1206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skez] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

Where do you leave your gear?! Mine stays in a cupboard on the top shelf.

Skez

Nov 10, 2017, 8:54 PM
Post #24 of 30 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigfcknG] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

BigfcknG wrote:
Where do you leave your gear?! Mine stays in a cupboard on the top shelf.
wasnt gear i use anymore or give a shit about ...but was in and old unused room for ages ants trailed dirt and shit in from somewhere,,,,,regardless rubber bands perish and shit etc.....i only jump low shit so yeh i tend to not jump somehting packed for a long amount of time,,,,,,also was thinking dont some people have certain amount of zp on certain canopies leading edge etc (i dont),,,,i know its not the whole canopy and only a small percentage of the canopy,,,,anyways not sure but if its anything like skydive zp that shit can stick badly when left to long

TomAiello

Nov 14, 2017, 7:00 AM
Post #25 of 30 (949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skez] Jumping an old packjob [In reply to] Can't Post

Skez wrote:
....seen a vid of someone going terminal slider down

I know of a case where someone packed for load 2 at a legal, terminal site, forgot to pull the slider up, and went back up. Slider down opening at terminal--but not from forgetting or leaving the pack job.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media