Phoenix Fly PTS vs TS
Premier Sponsor:

EtainVeronique

Jul 23, 2017, 1:14 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2370 views)
Shortcut
Phoenix Fly PTS vs TS Can't Post

Hi there

Hoping someone who's flown both the Phoenix Fly TS and the PTS can answer my question. Is there a significant difference in performance? I've heard that the PTS is quite a bit more responsive, but after speaking to a few people last month I got the impression that there's very little difference in both flight characteristics and object separation when both suits were jumped on the same object. Thinking most feedback of this sort is highly subjective, but thought I'd bring the question over here to try and get some more feedback nonetheless.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Etain

surfers98

Jul 23, 2017, 4:22 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EtainVeronique] Phoenix Fly PTS vs TS [In reply to] Can't Post

I've flown both and own the TS. As you might expect, I found the TS easier to fly relative to the PTS. While the PTS offered more power and drive once you know how to fly tracking suits. I also feel like the PTS starts forward movement more quickly than the TS.

EtainVeronique

Jul 23, 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surfers98] Phoenix Fly PTS vs TS [In reply to] Can't Post

Great, thanks.

eUrNiCc

Aug 9, 2017, 9:19 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surfers98] Phoenix Fly PTS vs TS [In reply to] Can't Post

^^What Brian said. For an experienced jumper the PTS will start sooner and perform a bit better through to terminal. The trade-off is that the PTS is slightly harder to learn to control.
Either suit can perform very well in the right hands, but an inexperienced jumper, or one without access to good coaching would have better initial success in the TS. I have taught plenty of people to track a PTS as their first suit, just make sure you have the time to commit to skydiving it and getting coaching/feedback from experienced trackers, and of course choose very forgiving objects for your initial BASE tracking jumps.

kenny123

Aug 18, 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1391 views)
Shortcut

Yes the PTS is not a Onesie, whereas the TS is SUPER NOT a Onesie. Let me know what you think about your new Onesie when you receive it.

EtainVeronique

Aug 30, 2017, 5:00 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kenny123] Phoenix Fly PTS vs TS [In reply to] Can't Post

I will get a Onesie when I am current enough in both BASE and skydiving to feel comfortable enough to jump at the level that the Onesie allows. Tempting as it is, I don't want to rush. One or two more seasons in the mountains (with the PTS) should hopefully suffice.

Thanks for the input!
E

(This post was edited by EtainVeronique on Aug 30, 2017, 5:04 AM)

MrAW

Aug 30, 2017, 5:10 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1104 views)
Shortcut

You can get heaps of performance out of the TS.
If you have a TS currently and are looking for a bit more performance you might be better off just sticking with it for another season and getting better with it - and not having to spend money on a new suit.
I haven't jumped the PTS but done 3 seasons with the TS, still love it, and still not at 100% with it yet I don't think.

EtainVeronique

Aug 30, 2017, 5:20 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrAW] Phoenix Fly PTS vs TS [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished my second BASE season with it and feel ready to move up. I also did almost 100 skydives on it as BASE prep and feel I've gone as far on it as I can, and to be honest, that I am ready for a bit more performance.

I think the sensible thing would be to start the 2018 season with the TS and progress to the PTS gradually at exits that are most familiar.

(This post was edited by EtainVeronique on Aug 30, 2017, 5:26 AM)

MrAW

Aug 30, 2017, 1:47 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Awesome. A few other jumpers I've met could have benefited from this sort of preparation. Cool

EtainVeronique

Aug 30, 2017, 9:47 PM
Post #10 of 12 (928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrAW] Phoenix Fly PTS vs TS [In reply to] Can't Post

Well to be completely honest, it was mostly because I lived in Thailand and couldn't jump the tracksuit any way other than out of a plane Wink

Dunny

Sep 7, 2017, 12:49 PM
Post #11 of 12 (679 views)
Shortcut

I love them both. They both work a little different. Performance can be fully achieved with both. Choose one and stick with it. I am still learning PTS now 3 years. Enjoy Smile

EtainVeronique

Sep 8, 2017, 5:58 AM
Post #12 of 12 (557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dunny] Phoenix Fly PTS vs TS [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. Anyone on here have experience flying the RBASEG xxx?

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media