Travel Insurance
Premier Sponsor:

Toddshoe169
Apex BASE
Jun 12, 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2395 views)
Shortcut
Travel Insurance Can't Post

It has come to our attention that World Nomads has a new policy excluding BASE jumping in their “Explorer” travel insurance.

For several years Apex BASE has encouraged all BASE jumpers that travel (and that's a lot of us) to purchase the "Explorer" policy through World Nomads. Unfortunately, it appears they have changed their policy and now BASE jumping coverage is "Excluded".

Here's a link to the notice-
https://helpdesk.worldnomads.com/customer/en_us/portal/articles/2402086-travel-insurance-activities-sports-adventures-covered-by-world-nomadsv

If you plan to purchase travel insurance to cover your BASE jumping trips be warned the Explorer coverage from World Nomads no longer covers BASE.

If you have every purchased, or plan to purchase, please contact World Nomads and let them know you now have no reason to purchase their policy.
They have no idea how many policies have sold because of BASE jumpers and now is our opportunity to speak up and let our numbers be known.

Here is the World Nomads customer service email address- serviceUSA@worldnomads.com

If anyone knows of another insurance company that offers travel insurance, covering BASE jumping, please share it so we can spread the word.

Thanks.

Todd Shoebotham
Apex BASE

mccordia

Jun 12, 2017, 3:53 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toddshoe169] Travel Insurance [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
If anyone knows of another insurance company that offers travel insurance, covering BASE jumping, please share it so we can spread the word.

With the small group of people worldwide taking out policies, even 1 heli rescue or small injury claim would make running an insurance for basejumpers the worst investment ever for a company.
Not sure sending an email will change the outcome of that easy calculation an insurance company is most likely making to decide these things...

Toddshoe169
Apex BASE
Jun 12, 2017, 4:35 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccordia] Travel Insurance [In reply to] Can't Post

The insurance offered by World Nomad was not rescue insurance. It was travel insurance.
REGA offers great rescue and transport insurance.

But getting travel insurance even when you don't go BASE jumping is a good idea. Crash the scooter, end up in the hospital and miss a flight because you're in the hospital then need to have an extra seat to travel home the insurance will cover it. My point is I won't use a company that doesn't cover all my activities. Some events like KL require each participant to have travel insurance as part of the admission process. Of course, insurance is a numbers game but let's only support those companies that wont single us out. And you're also right 1 email won't make a difference but 1000 emails might.
Regardless, I'm going to pass the word to family and friends.

gharrop

Jun 13, 2017, 1:41 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2217 views)
Shortcut

A friend came to visit and was gonna do his first jumps at Brento the next day. I told him to get insurance from WN. He signed up around 10-11pm that night. The next day he broke his legs.

I'm surprised they haven't ended coverage sooner. With how inexpensive it is ($20-$30/week IIRC), there's no way they come out ahead for the average US jumper who gets it for just one month out of the year when they'll be doing 3-10 jumps a day in Euroland and has a very high chance of getting hurt. The pool just isn't big enough spread out those losses.

But there are other options. I got a 1 year private health insurance policy with Generali for just 550EUR that covers up to 300k in trauma/A&E care. If you're young and don't smoke then health insurance is cheap (at least outside the US). Couple that with the French alpine rescue/emergency care insurance for ~$140 and you're covered for almost any way you can find to hurt yourself :)

base570

Jun 13, 2017, 8:06 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gharrop] Travel Insurance [In reply to] Can't Post

Accidents do happen but how about jumpers actually putting in time to buy into the insurance of actually learning some skills that may keep them from getting hurt instead of relying on luck and a policy to cover their ass?

This is the best insurance but sadly too many egos feel they are good enough right out of the gate and all other BASE jumpers suffer the consequences of the insurance companies dropping BASE for their shortcomings.

I'm not so sure that spreading the word on which companies cover BASE is a such a good idea anymore because soon there will be none.
Crazy

ps- statements like this worry me.... "the average US jumper who gets it for just one month out of the year when they'll be doing 3-10 jumps a day in Euroland and has a very high chance of getting hurt"
Low skills + high ego + no ability to make smart decisions = high chance of getting hurt. Euroland should have a low instance of injury given the objects that are available. It amazes me how many jumpers cannot land a parachute without crashing in.
/rant

maretus

Jun 13, 2017, 8:22 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Toddshoe169 wrote:
REGA offers great rescue and transport insurance.

If you are referring to the REGA patronage it has been discussed times and times again over here in this board that this is NOT an insurance and therefore it does not guarantee that they will pick up your rescue bill. It is a donation and they might partially or even in whole pay your rescue bill in case your insurance falls short but they have no legal obligation to do so.

In grateful acknowledgement of patrons' support, Rega can, t its own discretion and within the bounds of its resources, waive or reduce the costs of any emergency services listed below that it has provided or organised on their behalf, in the event that insurance companies or any other third party are not liable to pay and thus not required to reimburse the costs of the rescue operation, whether wholly or in part. In all cases, Rega provides its rescue services and also, where appropriate, waives or reduces the costs thereof without any legal obligation.

https://www.rega.ch/...e-a-rega-patron.aspx

bluhdow

Jun 13, 2017, 9:31 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccordia] Travel Insurance [In reply to] Can't Post

Running an insurance operation that covers only BASE is a terrible idea, but keep in mind that our high risk activity was being subsidized by many more travelers buying policies and participating in low risk activities.

In the end it still seems to have failed, as it only takes a handful of claims to wipe out all of the premium payments from our particular demographic.

That said, writing to the company in large numbers CAN be a powerful exercise, unless everyone decides that their vote doesn't count.

Toddshoe169
Apex BASE
Jun 13, 2017, 2:59 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2032 views)
Shortcut

I just got this reply from World Nomads:

Hello Todd,

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately I have heard from the main office and that activity is no longer protected on the plans. At this point all I can say is hopefully if there enough customers that voice their opinion perhaps the underwriter will reconsider. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Best Wishes,
LaRae
Trip Mate Customer Service Team
on behalf of WorldNomads.com

Colm

Jun 13, 2017, 4:55 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

I got a similar reply from them.

eshutes

Jun 14, 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #10 of 16 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Travel Insurance [In reply to] Can't Post

I've purchased World Nomads insurance repeatedly over the last 10 years for BASE trips and other travel and have never made a claim. Super bummed that it is no longer an option. I'm fortunate to also have health insurance through work and take out the French insurance with worldwide cover and contribute to Rega every year.

Each piece has a gap in coverage in case of a rescue + immediate health care + long-term recovery + repatriation (if traveling) and for the French insurance - buildings, antennas and spans. And if you have a family - please take out life insurance. For me, skills, good decision making, jumping within your limits and a plan for if shit hits the fan are all important parts of being prepared.

Safe, happy jumps to everyone!
E

And I received the following response from World Nomads to my email:

Thank you for your contact and for your patronage of World Nomads. We can certainly understand your disappointment that BASE jumping is no longer covered under our plans.

We cannot guarantee that coverage for an activity will be reinstated. But we do appreciate our members' feedback regarding the new changes that have been made, and will keep them on file and in mind as we move forward.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,

Urith
Trip Mate Customer Service Team
on behalf of WorldNomads.com

Colm

Jun 14, 2017, 6:05 AM
Post #11 of 16 (1905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eshutes] Travel Insurance [In reply to] Can't Post

Meanwhile, this is probably what World Nomads really thinks

Attachments: giveafuck_meter.jpg (12.9 KB)

razorbacks

Jun 17, 2017, 9:13 AM
Post #12 of 16 (1707 views)
Shortcut

I just wanted to say I called this morning to inquire and they said it was EXCLUDED on JUNE 7th 2017. Any other insurances out there worth getting while in Europe jumping? Thanks!

nickkaminski

Jul 17, 2017, 4:08 PM
Post #13 of 16 (1342 views)
Shortcut

I'm going to try AIG's Travel Guard+... It removes the exclusions of adventure sports found on their other plans, though does not specifically name BASE. 2 persons to Brento for ~10 days = $130'ish. Hopefully we don't need it. Hopefully it works if we do!

Be careful when buying travel insurance to see if it's primary coverage, or secondary only after you've exhausted all attempts with your insurance at home. Looking at Seven Corners or Yonder kinda turned me off for this reason.

NoYouDo

Aug 7, 2017, 9:43 AM
Post #14 of 16 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickkaminski] Travel Insurance [In reply to] Can't Post

Which one is Travel Guard+? I see Silver, Gold and Platinum on the site (http://travelguard.com) and when getting a quote it shows my best options as Cruise Tour & Travel, Protect Assist and Essential Expanded. Are you using a different site?

Have you by chance called them to ask about their BASE coverage?

Anyone else find a World Nomads alternative?

nickkaminski

Aug 10, 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #15 of 16 (919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NoYouDo] Travel Insurance [In reply to] Can't Post

I called to speak with an agent who could find no exclusion for BASE under this plan. I've read coverage 3x and no exclusions. Happy Hunting!

OhManItsDan

Aug 19, 2017, 1:47 AM
Post #16 of 16 (624 views)
Shortcut

If anyone is still looking for an insurer, my brother in law was the one who got me excited about BASE and when I asked him who he is with, he said that he has had a policy with TotallySportsInsurance for years. Here is there BASE page if anyone is curious http://www.totallysportsinsurance.co.uk/...se-jumping-insurance

(This post was edited by OhManItsDan on Aug 19, 2017, 1:47 AM)

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media