Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SketchySketchy

May 18, 2017, 8:34 AM
Post #1 of 33 (2629 views)
Shortcut
Taxi service Twin Falls Can't Post

Hi there.

I did my FJC last week at the Perrine Bridge and would like to head back on Sunday for 5 days of working on improving exit techniques. I'm not keen (not a skill I have...) on climbing up to the bridge so would like to walk out to the park and get picked up and brought to the visitor centre parking lot or BestBuy parking lot. Has anyone used taxi cabs for pickup? If so what's the cost? I'm open to other suggestions. I'm simply too old to try the climbing thing.

Thanks

John

wasatchrider

May 18, 2017, 4:14 PM
Post #2 of 33 (2525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SketchySketchy] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

SketchySketchy wrote:
Hi there.

I did my FJC last week at the Perrine Bridge and would like to head back on Sunday for 5 days of working on improving exit techniques. I'm not keen (not a skill I have...) on climbing up to the bridge so would like to walk out to the park and get picked up and brought to the visitor centre parking lot or BestBuy parking lot. Has anyone used taxi cabs for pickup? If so what's the cost? I'm open to other suggestions. I'm simply too old to try the climbing thing.

Thanks

John

If you don't like hiking I would get out of base

SketchySketchy

May 18, 2017, 4:30 PM
Post #3 of 33 (2512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wasatchrider] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there. Can you find the word "hike" or "hiking" in my post? Just wondering if you are making some assumptions...

wasatchrider

May 18, 2017, 4:41 PM
Post #4 of 33 (2507 views)
Shortcut

SketchySketchy wrote:
Hi there. Can you find the word "hike" or "hiking" in my post? Just wondering if you are making some assumptions...

what you call climbing I call a hike

SketchySketchy

May 18, 2017, 4:45 PM
Post #5 of 33 (2503 views)
Shortcut

Ah.

Clever.

wasatchrider

May 18, 2017, 4:46 PM
Post #6 of 33 (2503 views)
Shortcut

and its about as easy as it gets in base... hence the comment

SketchySketchy

May 18, 2017, 4:47 PM
Post #7 of 33 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Even more clever.

DFR

May 18, 2017, 4:54 PM
Post #8 of 33 (2498 views)
Shortcut

SketchySketchy wrote:
Even more accurate.

SketchySketchy

May 18, 2017, 5:21 PM
Post #9 of 33 (2489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DFR] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the two of you need to get off your arrogant sky god pedestals and consider something beside your own perspectives.

There might, just might be new members of this sport who are genuinely interested in learning how to do things like, I don't know, exits properly and realize that by listening to BFL summaries on YouTube (check it out) that dehydration and exhaustion are key contributors to accidents in BASE. In fact, one accident at the bridge last year likely bad dehydration and exhaustion as causal factors.

I can hike here British Columbia. I can learn to climb here in B.C. What I cannot do here in BC is learn to exit unless I wish to do so from a non-bridge object.

I'm a 51 year old airline pilot (12 yr Capt 737NG, 18000 hrs) who is intimately familiar with mistakes due to fatigue. We are trained to spot the effects of this and remove ourselves from duty when we are fatigued.

I'm heading to Twin next week because I have 6 days in which to do so. I want every jump to count. Which means keeping my 51 year old a$$ rested. Because I don't want to make a fatal mistake. I pulled myself off two jumps last week in my FJC because I was tired and I would do so again. Ergo, climbing, er, "hiking" straight up to the bridge is not in my plans next week. Nor would it be safe (for me). Those on my course last week know i kept up and even set the pace on our "hikes" out to the park.

Additionally, I busted my tibia plateau last June while jumping tired so I know too well that I don't have to jump while tired.

And who knows, maybe I will quit BASE. Especially if I run into more, oh nevermind.

Thanks to you both for your help.

@$$holes

DFR

May 18, 2017, 5:48 PM
Post #10 of 33 (2482 views)
Shortcut

No need to get your panties in a wad, I'm just pointing out he was being accurate about that being likely the most easy accsess you'll find to any object in this sport, not just being a smartass.

Shafty

May 18, 2017, 5:57 PM
Post #11 of 33 (2474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DFR] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure about the taxi service route but I've been lucky enough to catch a few rides when there has been a course going on at the bridge. Although you have to coordinate your jumps with their loads. Or you could bring a non jumping friend along and have them shuttle for you.

Toggle

May 18, 2017, 8:55 PM
Post #12 of 33 (2414 views)
Shortcut

No need for a taxi. Just find a young Twin Falls BASE groupie that wears short shorts and a halter top. Make it abundantly clear that you will be her sugar daddy if she hangs out to admire your jumps and give you rides. Who knows, maybe you'll get some after-hours action too.

Twin is swimming in tang. You just gotta get your groove on!

(This post was edited by Toggle on May 18, 2017, 8:56 PM)

nickfrey

May 18, 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #13 of 33 (2386 views)
Shortcut

Looks like an Uber is about 8 bucks

Fledgling

May 19, 2017, 5:08 AM
Post #14 of 33 (2316 views)
Shortcut

SketchySketchy wrote:
I'm not keen (not a skill I have...) on climbing up to the bridge so would like to walk out to the park and get picked up and brought to the visitor centre parking lot or BestBuy parking lot.

If you don't like the climb under the bridge it is only 45 mins to hike the road out.
You mention your concern with fatigue. Simple. Do less jumps.
As others have said, Twin is likely the easiest hike you will find. If it is too much then you should probably be concentrating on your fitness not your exit technique.

MrAW

May 19, 2017, 5:23 AM
Post #15 of 33 (2309 views)
Shortcut

I just want to say I thought this was quite a solid response to the heckling from the crowd and I enjoyed reading it.

YODO

May 19, 2017, 9:48 AM
Post #16 of 33 (2220 views)
Shortcut

I don't know if he has a valid drivers license, or if he'd be much help given his penchant for BASE, but this sounds like the perfect job for Jester...

TransientCW

May 19, 2017, 4:29 PM
Post #17 of 33 (2154 views)
Shortcut

your'e an airline pilot...
build yourself a personal drone, you should be qualified to fly it back up to the packing area, pack, fly it down so it's waiting for you, and repeat.
Problem solved

sinjin

May 21, 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #18 of 33 (1945 views)
Shortcut

you can just hitch hike back up from where the trail meet the road.. tons of vehicle traffic and mostly trucks.. i did it several times and got a ride almost right away.

StealthyB

May 21, 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #19 of 33 (1926 views)
Shortcut

SketchySketchy wrote:
Even more clever.

No offense, but Wasatchrider is spot on.
I am happy to hear that you are stoked on BASE but if you consider the short hike up out of the Perrine to be "taxing " and anything more than a short hike, then you may be limiting yourself to very benign BASE experiences.
All the Best, B.

Colm

May 21, 2017, 2:57 PM
Post #20 of 33 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StealthyB] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

I am going to stick up for the guy. He just asks an innocent question, maybe it's not how you or I would jump, but everybody tries to make him feel bad. Maybe thinking they are helping him... but are they really... I doubt it

It's ironic, newbies usually get flamed for asking how to do something really dangerous. This guys is literally doing the exact opposite. Tongue As long as he's being conservative, why not let him find his own comfort zone in BASE?

DaveL

May 22, 2017, 2:38 AM
Post #21 of 33 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fledgling] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

When you say only 45 mins to hike the road out, does that include the walk from the LZ out along the river and up the road, or only the road part back to the bridge?
Thanks.

gnarlysquirrel

May 22, 2017, 5:14 AM
Post #22 of 33 (1743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sinjin] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

sinjin wrote:
you can just hitch hike back up from where the trail meet the road.. tons of vehicle traffic and mostly trucks.. i did it several times and got a ride almost right away.

+1 you can hitchhike out pretty easily.

Sounds like you are prepared to do some physical conditioning back home but want to get as much BASE-specific experience as possible out of the bridge. That sounds reasonable. It is hard to read tone on the internet -- I can see how others read your first post the wrong way.

StealthyB

May 22, 2017, 9:17 AM
Post #23 of 33 (1686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

Colm wrote:
I am going to stick up for the guy. He just asks an innocent question, maybe it's not how you or I would jump, but everybody tries to make him feel bad. Maybe thinking they are helping him... but are they really... I doubt it

It's ironic, newbies usually get flamed for asking how to do something really dangerous. This guys is literally doing the exact opposite. Tongue As long as he's being conservative, why not let him find his own comfort zone in BASE?

You are right! Hiking probably isn't for everybody but it always seemed to me that you had to work for your jumps in BASE one way or another, kind of like the mantra in Backcountry Skiing "earn your turns "
That said I apologize if I sounded critical,
Best wishes for fun and safe jumps, B.

SketchySketchy

May 22, 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #24 of 33 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StealthyB] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi.

I just did my first hike up the wall. It wasn't as bad as I imagined but on the same token I have a plate and screws and pins in my l left leg that led to a significant amount of atrophy in that leg last summer... I took a break under the bridge for twenty minutes as the anaerobic effort was too much for me at this point.

No matter what the pursuit is in life, one can't let peer pressure influence the choices you make, otherwise you will make bad choices. Including at exit. Part of maturity is knowing what your limitations are. That and you realize that you can decide whether you want to care what posters on internet forums (or indeed, in real life) have to say.

I think may never jump anything besides the bridge at Twin Falls. Who knows, who cares. Enjoy your own life and don't worry about what others do with theirs.

Take care all. Happy landings.

John Swallow
Vernon, BC
250 208 7462

Fledgling

May 22, 2017, 4:15 PM
Post #25 of 33 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveL] Taxi service Twin Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

DaveL wrote:
When you say only 45 mins to hike the road out, does that include the walk from the LZ out along the river and up the road, or only the road part back to the bridge?
Thanks.

I can walk LZ to Outback in less than 45 mins. Along the river to the stairs and then up the road from there. I don't like climbing under the bridge when shit is frozen.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media