Forums: BASE Jumping: BASE Technical:
Squirrel CR+ (and maybe C RACE) pitching
Premier Sponsor:

AntoineLaporte

Apr 18, 2017, 2:55 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1828 views)
Shortcut
Squirrel CR+ (and maybe C RACE) pitching Can't Post

Before anything it is important to say that Squirrel qualify this suit as EXPERT for very EXPERIENCED pilot and recommend to skydive it before BASE.

I hope this will make clear that if people are not following this recommendations and have troubles it's their entire fault.

However I just wanted to spread the word that the CR+ with the new inlets makes the pitching harder than usual.
Harder does not mean impossible, but you have to get ready to need power to deflate the wing to reach the PC.
After a good look the the air inlets you can see that the air-locks are way more efficient on these, making the wing more stable in hard turns and unstable air, but at the same time making the deflation harder and longer.
Some pilots even stops using their in BASE because of that.

If you want to change this you can "neutralize" the airlocks with some tubes (plastic or carton) going through them and some tape (or small sewing) to keep them in place, pressure will not change, just the wing will be less "strong" in a not stable air and it will be easier to deflate it.
Apparently removing the performance foam give some room to the arm to initiate the pitching movement and make it easier too.

I can only say that following strictly the Squirrel recommendations is mandatory, people are too much used to very easy suits and think too much that they are all the same.
Please tell it to your friends before anything stupid happen (again).

desert1

Apr 18, 2017, 9:02 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] Squirrel CR+ (and maybe C RACE) pitching [In reply to] Can't Post

Just for info on airlock cells/wings:

Robert made airlocked arm and leg wings in 2007. Only him and me were jumping them before he decided that the danger is not offset by the performace increase and will not install them. We both had strength and pull issues with every pull on every jump.

Enjoy,

Luka

bluhdow

Apr 18, 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AntoineLaporte] Squirrel CR+ (and maybe C RACE) pitching [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect that this is relevant, and maybe even the reason for the post:

http://www.blincmagazine.com/...p?title=Nicola_Galli

Skydive your suits guys. You know, at least a couple of times.

unclecharlie95

Apr 18, 2017, 11:06 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1629 views)
Shortcut

The blue "profile" foam inserts were likely a factor in Nicola's accident as they make the tight arm sleeves even more rigid. This has caught out others who now choose not to use the blue foams for BASE.

The C-Race is an amazing racing suit, the best performance currently on the market, it is what I would want to wear for a competition tomorrow. BUT please always skydive your gear. I was 2nd on scene for Nicola.. Heart breaking.

AntoineLaporte

Apr 18, 2017, 1:13 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1535 views)
Shortcut

I forgot about what I think is the best to solve this problem:
The Wingtip Pouch Wioletta
https://www.facebook.com/Wingpouch/?fref=ts

No problem to reach the PC, you will always have the "handle" in your hand.
If it was added to the suits as an option it would add a cost for sure, but when you are ready to pay 300 for a custom color don't you think that this cost which might save your life does not worth the price ?

DFR

Apr 19, 2017, 11:12 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1148 views)
Shortcut

Squirrel wrote:
"*Note: C-RACE, BASE Version. If you are looking to compete in a BASE Race event, tell us before you place your C-RACE order. We will make you a BASE optimized version of the suit."

http://squirrel.ws/wingsuits/c-race

Does anyone know what the changes are? Is it different inlets?

My new Aura3 has "Compression Inlets" which look abut the same as all the Craces I've seen but on the site it says "BASE-Optimized compression inlet" so maybe it's different? There is definitely more internal pressure in the 3 than the 1, but I didn't find the pull all that much harder. However if I put the performance foam in (which explicitly says not for BASE) even with the suit on the ground, the pull is a bit harder to reach.

So maybe the lessons are:

-Don't BASE jump a suit you've never skydived
-Don't jump the foam that explicitly says "Not for BASE"
-If a suit comes with a warning that says "If you're going to BASE jump the suit, get the BASE model" you should follow it

AntoineLaporte

Apr 20, 2017, 1:23 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DFR] Squirrel CR+ (and maybe C RACE) pitching [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
There is definitely more internal pressure in the 3 than the 1, but I didn't find the pull all that much harder.
Harder to deflate does not always mean more pressure but it is usually more efficient air-locks.
I would like to have some real measurement to state that the pressure has increase. Pressure is also related to speed and exposure of the inlets to relative wind (arm position can change it with the same speed).

In reply to:
So maybe the lessons are:

-Don't BASE jump a suit you've never skydived
-Don't jump the foam that explicitly says "Not for BASE"
-If a suit comes with a warning that says "If you're going to BASE jump the suit, get the BASE model" you should follow it

Completely agree, Squirrel put all the warnings they can.
This post was not made to blame them at all, just to warm even more people so it can avoid some people to do stupid things like not reading the warnings.

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media