Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion.
Premier Sponsor:

 


RickHarrison

Apr 11, 2017, 10:48 PM
Post #1 of 16 (3556 views)
Shortcut
Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. Can't Post

Bridge Day 2017- Old Timers reunion Edit | Delete | Quote | Reply


FYI, a few of us old timers are going to try to make Bridge Day this year. Joy and I and my twin bro Randy and his wife Shirley plus, a couple other old BASE friends. Maybe a few from Europe also. Anyway, we just decided to do Bridge Day as a mini old farts reunion, but I haven't been there since 2009. Not sue how the hotel situation is. I heard that once registration starts they list hotels with rooms blocked for BASE jumpers. It used to be the Holiday Inn, Oak Hill, (now Holiday Lodge) but theirs and other current websites are showing no availability from Oct. 19-22.. If we have several coming, are we safe to wait until registration to book a couple rooms? If not, does anyone know who has blocks of rooms to sell, hopefully at Holiday Lodge if most of the BASE activities will be there. I'd appreciate any info. l
Rick Harrison
BASE 38
USBA

usuallym

Apr 12, 2017, 6:42 AM
Post #2 of 16 (3466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RickHarrison] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Rick

I'm stoked to hear you "old timers" are going to make the trip for Bridge Day this year and I look forward to meeting you guys. I don't speak from a position of authority or certainty, but for the past several years room reservations for jumpers at the Holiday Lodge have not been an issue; there should be availability when registration rolls around. Mark Kissner is the point man for BASE organization, so you could reach out to him if you wanted details/confirmation.


(This post was edited by usuallym on Apr 12, 2017, 6:43 AM)

RickHarrison

Apr 12, 2017, 1:04 PM
Post #3 of 16 (3373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [usuallym] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info. Tree said the same thing. See you in Oct.

TransientCW

Apr 15, 2017, 2:05 PM
Post #4 of 16 (3030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RickHarrison] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rick, if you agree to showcase a TWOP for old time's sake, i will quit my job and fly out there with no remorse...........

RickHarrison

Apr 15, 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TransientCW] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was Perrine, yes since you do a short delay and the exit timing has to be perfect or after about 2 seconds your going ass over tea kettle. Besides New River is so high that 2 people on a round with a short delay could drift over land which is not how you want to land a round with 350 lbs. Our first was before New River 82 in Kentucky. Even though we were side by side, it should qualify as the first tandem BASE jump.

idemallie
Moderator
Apr 15, 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RickHarrison] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

RickHarrison wrote:
Even though we were side by side, it should qualify as the first tandem BASE jump.

We will all agree you had the first tandem BASE jump when you agree our TARDs and JJs count as BASE jumps.

c_dog

Apr 16, 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2871 views)
Shortcut
Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh snap

RickHarrison

Apr 19, 2017, 10:30 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [idemallie] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry we can't count unpacked canopies. TARDS are not really packed but you couldn't skydive with it. Rollovers are open. BASE was started by old experienced relative work skydivers especially Carl Boenish. Our roots are skydiving. The fear we all had to overcome was no reserve, close to the object and altitude, not to mention arrest. The main freefall risk was a clean opening from a packed parachute. I guess I'm just old fashioned and think that we will stick to a packed canopy.
Rick H

Bealio

Apr 20, 2017, 10:35 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RickHarrison] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

RickHarrison wrote:
TARDS are not really packed but you couldn't skydive with it

Challenge accepted

zoobrothertom

Apr 20, 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #10 of 16 (2448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RickHarrison] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

This might be worth dusting off the old cobwebs! My first bridge jump was '83 and again in '09.

Now I just gotta convince the Mrs.......Crazy

My picture on the right is from 1983. That's Carl filming but I don't remember who that is looking my way. Anybody recognize him?

http://www.basejumper.com/...dium_1__low_res_.jpg


(This post was edited by zoobrothertom on Apr 20, 2017, 11:44 AM)

Colm

Apr 20, 2017, 1:13 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bealio] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bealio wrote:
RickHarrison wrote:
TARDS are not really packed but you couldn't skydive with it

Challenge accepted

A trash-bagged tard has been done at least once... probably more?? Edit: i.e., from an airplane


(This post was edited by Colm on Apr 20, 2017, 1:13 PM)

Bealio

Apr 20, 2017, 1:31 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colm] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen a video. That could be argued as "packed".

kleggo

Apr 20, 2017, 2:54 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RickHarrison] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

RickHarrison wrote:
Bridge Day 2017- Old Timers reunion Edit | Delete | Quote | Reply


FYI, a few of us old timers are going to try to make Bridge Day this year. Joy and I and my twin bro Randy and his wife Shirley plus, a couple other old BASE friends. Maybe a few from Europe also. Anyway, we just decided to do Bridge Day as a mini old farts reunion, but I haven't been there since 2009. Not sue how the hotel situation is. I heard that once registration starts they list hotels with rooms blocked for BASE jumpers. It used to be the Holiday Inn, Oak Hill, (now Holiday Lodge) but theirs and other current websites are showing no availability from Oct. 19-22.. If we have several coming, are we safe to wait until registration to book a couple rooms? If not, does anyone know who has blocks of rooms to sell, hopefully at Holiday Lodge if most of the BASE activities will be there. I'd appreciate any info. l
Rick Harrison
BASE 38
USBA

Old Farts reunion?????
I've made 168 jumps there since 2002, can I come?
sounds like last year was perfect weather and small crowds.

Tongue

RickHarrison

Apr 20, 2017, 3:44 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bealio] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but a Direct Bag is as close as we'll come to qualifying a jump for a BASE number. I realize that tards may be considered sort of packed, but not for qualifying as one of the 4 BASE jumps. If anyone wants to start a TARD or rollover BASE, be my guest.

TomAiello

Apr 22, 2017, 2:07 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RickHarrison] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's already a rollover BASE. Shane McConkey issued me #1, back in the early 2000's. I think number 2 was Spence Bisley, but he might have been 3.

RickHarrison

Apr 28, 2017, 4:05 PM
Post #16 of 16 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] Bridge Day 2017 Old timers reunion. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that now, after Shane invented the "McConkey"


Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media